Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 am

headgear wrote:
Kraftd wrote:Wired to Hunt has been posting a bunch of JE articles lately. Posted one in the past day or so about a buck John shot years ago, and it read like just about every kill zone post for a slob buck I've ever read on here. Just not sure where the defensiveness and absolutism comes from. Seems to be a fairly recent development with him John from my past experiences reading his stuff. Almost reads like he's feeling a lot of pressure from somewhere???

I posted somewhere else on here about John hunting bedding areas without really knowing it. I've read a couple of his books and he is just like us, going the extra mile, hiking way back, wading out to islands, doing whatever it takes to get on deer,scouting like mad. We are more alike than anything, throw out the carbon stuff and John would fit right in around here.

He must work up a good sweat doing all that hard work, but he never gets winded, except that one time when he was sweating

uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:30 am

I think CBM is big in MI because their are official scorers all over the state. Makes it a little more convenient, but even so, many guys are shooting deer and not entering them. I've never entered one and I know maybe 1 person that has, once. The minimum for a CBM typical archery kill is only 100".

The public land in the lower 1/3 of the state has much higher pressure than the northern 2/3s. The majority of the population in MI is in the lower 1/3. During firearm season, you can only use shotguns and muzzleloaders in the lower 1/3. The rest of the state can use rifles. Combine this with the fact that there's a lot more no hunting zones/ private sanctuaries, better soil, and a lot less public land in the lower 1/3 and it's almost like hunting 2 different states. It's easier to see a P&Y buck in the lower 1/3, even on heavily pressured public land, because there's more of them around than in the north.

This is something that JE knows as well. He doesn't hunt in the northern 2/3's of the state. If he does, he doesn't talk about it. He talks about how it's easy to kill P&Y bucks in other states, but he does a similar thing by hunting in the lower 1/3. He's definitely a smart and skilled hunter. But most fairly skilled hunters that've had access to 100+ parcels of land would also have quite a bit of success, with or without Scent Lok.
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:36 am

headgear wrote:
Kraftd wrote:Wired to Hunt has been posting a bunch of JE articles lately. Posted one in the past day or so about a buck John shot years ago, and it read like just about every kill zone post for a slob buck I've ever read on here. Just not sure where the defensiveness and absolutism comes from. Seems to be a fairly recent development with him John from my past experiences reading his stuff. Almost reads like he's feeling a lot of pressure from somewhere???

I posted somewhere else on here about John hunting bedding areas without really knowing it. I've read a couple of his books and he is just like us, going the extra mile, hiking way back, wading out to islands, doing whatever it takes to get on deer, scouting like mad. We are more alike than anything, throw out the carbon stuff and John would fit right in around here.

I had the same thoughts. He often talks about setting up just inside the bedding area. He's actually setting up on buck beds without taking the extra time to find the actual beds. Instead he's setting up on destination spots in or very near to bedding areas. His tactics are very similar to Dan's so it's confusing why he's so quick to dismiss what Dan is doing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 am

uncleron wrote:
headgear wrote:

I posted somewhere else on here about John hunting bedding areas without really knowing it. I've read a couple of his books and he is just like us, going the extra mile, hiking way back, wading out to islands, doing whatever it takes to get on deer, scouting like mad. We are more alike than anything, throw out the carbon stuff and John would fit right in around here.

I had the same thoughts. He often talks about setting up just inside the bedding area. He's actually setting up on buck beds without taking the extra time to find the actual beds. Instead he's setting up on destination spots in or very near to bedding areas. His tactics are very similar to Dan's so it's confusing why he's so quick to dismiss what Dan is doing.

Seems to me John is hunting staging areas. Pretty much exactly what Dan teaches here. :think:
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:01 am

Pretty much Dewey. Although John also likes lone oaks or apple trees inside of thick bedding and I don't think I've heard Dan mention that much. I think John's "primary scrape areas" are also located close to buck bedding and hence the amount of repeated sign and willingness for mature bucks to hit them during daylight.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:12 am

uncleron wrote:Pretty much Dewey. Although John also likes lone oaks or apple trees inside of thick bedding and I don't think I've heard Dan mention that much. I think John's "primary scrape areas" are also located close to buck bedding and hence the amount of repeated sign and willingness for mature bucks to hit them during daylight.

Dan has been focussing on lone oaks near bedding this early season and has convinced others to do the same with some resulting in good buck sightings and even a few kills. Here is a thread with that exact discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42078
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:19 am

Dewey wrote:
uncleron wrote:Pretty much Dewey. Although John also likes lone oaks or apple trees inside of thick bedding and I don't think I've heard Dan mention that much. I think John's "primary scrape areas" are also located close to buck bedding and hence the amount of repeated sign and willingness for mature bucks to hit them during daylight.

Dan has been focussing on lone oaks near bedding this early season and has convinced others to do the same with some resulting in good buck sightings and even a few kills. Here is a thread with that exact discussion.

A couple of spots he showed us at his workshop he said are best during early season with acorns. Oaks are just a variable food source. Some years they are everywhere and some they aren't. I'm not an apple guy so I don't know if they are an every year thing or if they cycle like oaks.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:37 am

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:

A couple of spots he showed us at his workshop he said are best during early season with acorns. Oaks are just a variable food source. Some years they are everywhere and some they aren't. I'm not an apple guy so I don't know if they are an every year thing or if they cycle like oaks.

Apple trees usually yield every other year - they have on and off years. On their off years they will usually bear smaller less mature fruit. The deer will still eat these if nothing else is available, but usually these fruit are very bitter.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:38 pm

The PA biologists have weighed in:
http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/proj ... and-scents

:violin: :whistle: :naughty:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:13 pm

Greg4579 wrote:The PA biologists have weighed in:

I liked the last part about the bear's nose
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:37 pm

Greg4579 wrote:The PA biologists have weighed in:

Good article.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:47 pm

Good article dewey
Earn what’s never given.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:04 pm

wolfie729 wrote:Good article dewey

Greg4579 posted the article. ;)
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Dewey wrote:
wolfie729 wrote:Good article dewey

Greg4579 posted the article. ;)

:lol: good call must have looked fast or something. great article Greg4579
Earn what’s never given.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:25 pm

Dewey wrote:

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=42078

One of my best spots on Daves farm is an apple tree 50 yards from buck bedding... I am always looking at acorns when available... And what he is calling primary scrapes. I call bedding scrapes. Some of my biggest bucks have come from those... To me a primary scrape is one that all the local bucks use year round. A bedding scrape is where a scrape is at one staging area for two or more buck bedding areas. I have been hunting like this for decades and you can find it in my old articles, and subject matter on this site.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”