Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:21 am

Couple things about ozone just my opinion.

It definitely works. I used a household machine years ago to remove a heavy cigarette odor from an apartment I moved into. In 2 days there was 0 odor and I am highly allergic to that cigarette stench and never had a problem after running he machine. There is certainly some science there.

Second, the gas is harmful but at what point? Too much water intake becomes poison to the human body but surely nobody is scared to stay hydrated. So I don't know the levels of O2 and when it becomes dangerous but I wouldn't be worried about using it in open air situations...

Idk.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:54 am

PK_ wrote:Couple things about ozone just my opinion.

It definitely works. I used a household machine years ago to remove a heavy cigarette odor from an apartment I moved into. In 2 days there was 0 odor and I am highly allergic to that cigarette stench and never had a problem after running he machine. There is certainly some science there.

Second, the gas is harmful but at what point? Too much water intake becomes poison to the human body but surely nobody is scared to stay hydrated. So I don't know the levels of O2 and when it becomes dangerous but I wouldn't be worried about using it in open air situations...

Idk.

When I worked in hospitality the cleaning service we hired to sanitize and deodorize the hotel rooms used industrial ozone generators. While they were never able to quite get all of the cigarette smell out of the room it was a remarkable difference. I believe ozone does deodorize things - just that it can't possible work on stand in an open air environment.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:50 am

dan wrote:In all fairness, I should say, scent control does reduce odor. Its just a matter if how much reduction you would need to fool a nose that smells millions of times better than we can even comprehend. I think if it buys you a needed 2 seconds once in your lifetime, your a lucky guy
To each there own... I do find it interesting that I could care less if you do, or don't use some sort or degree of scent control, but the scent control guys seem to get down right angry that I don't use it.

Fair statement

I always think of debate as controlled arguing, but others don't, they think it's plain arguing and can get nasty...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:13 am

PK_ wrote:Couple things about ozone just my opinion.

Idk.

O2 is oxygen. Ozone is O3 and much more unstable than O2. It's also a more powerful oxidant than O2 (will cause rust) and those properties make it harmful to lung tissue on all animals and some plant tissues at levels higher than 100 ppb.

Ozone works great at eliminating odors in an enclosed area. I've even found dead bugs and mice after treating a room. But because O3 is so active, once it's exposed to open air it reacts with 02 and dissolves quickly. This is why Ozonics simply can't be as effective as they claim, because the gas isn't concentrated. Furthermore, Ozonics claims their machine produces O3 levels safe enough for humans to be around. This tells me that the machine either doesn't produce enough gas to be effective at eliminating odors, OR that the statement isn't true and the machine is still harmful to humans. More false advertising in the hunting industry.

Back to the podcast. What about the part where John says he doesn't pay attention to the wind, but sets his stands up on the downwind side of the scrape area? You can't make this stuff up!!!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:05 am

Good info :D
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
RagMonster

Unread postby RagMonster » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Dewey wrote:"Iowa and Kansas are freebies. It doesn't take a lot of skill set to kill deer there."

I think anybody that has hunted in either state would tell you it's far from easy. Sure the quality and numbers are there but John saying it's a "freebie" is pretty arrogant and pretty degrading to the hunters in those states if you ask me.

Agreed. Those statements were made more than once and is good way to alienate yourself. If it's so easy then what is the point of needing scent control? Seems a little conflicting.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:42 pm

Dewey wrote:"Iowa and Kansas are freebies. It doesn't take a lot of skill set to kill deer there."

I think anybody that has hunted in either state would tell you it's far from easy. Sure the quality and numbers are there but John saying it's a "freebie" is pretty arrogant and pretty degrading to the hunters in those states if you ask me.

Just goes to show you how bad a hunter I am...I'm in KS and it's not a freebie for me!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 pm

basspro05 wrote:

Just goes to show you how bad a hunter I am...I'm in KS and it's not a freebie for me!!!

I worked my but off to kill an Iowa buck last year. Probably the hardest I have ever hunted. I must suck as a hunter. I thought there were 150" bucks behind every tree. :?

:lol:
Wall hanger

Unread postby Wall hanger » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 pm

I have respect both john and dan so im pretty neutral in the whole scent control issue. BUT when john meantioned he got winded by two 1 1/2 year old bucks only because he had sweat on his face i started to think when was the last time i hunted and didnt have sweat dripping down my face. I know that most of the guys on this site hunt by carrying stand in and setting up so i would assume most of us will be sweating by the time you get set up. So pretty much if i do the whole scent routine that john uses but have sweat on my face it wont work. Seems crazy to me!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:49 am

Wall hanger wrote:I have respect both john and dan so im pretty neutral in the whole scent control issue. BUT when john meantioned he got winded by two 1 1/2 year old bucks only because he had sweat on his face i started to think when was the last time i hunted and didnt have sweat dripping down my face. I know that most of the guys on this site hunt by carrying stand in and setting up so i would assume most of us will be sweating by the time you get set up. So pretty much if i do the whole scent routine that john uses but have sweat on my face it wont work. Seems crazy to me!!!!

I was thinking the same. Us mobile guys are hauling a lot of gear in and out every single day. Not sweating isn't an option even on real cold days.

If he's wiping his body down with wet wipes he has to remove some of his Scent Lok. By doing that he is releasing and contaminating the outside of his clothing with massive amounts of human scent that will linger with him all day. Unless you are in a sealed bubble for the entire day there is no possible way none of that scent escapes. Wearing head to toe Scent Lok in warm weather including a facemask is crazy. Human scent would be pumping out like crazy. No way to contain that.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:42 am

Dewey wrote:Not sweating isn't an option even on real cold days.

I hear you there. I break a sweat sitting around most days. :D
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:48 am

So I am trying to figure this out. I can understand the science possibly of the carbon soaking up the scent. But you have to assume no scent on the outside of the garments period. To throw it in the dryer even after running a load of towels with no scented soap and expect there to be no scent us hard for me to wrap my mind around.
I would love to think that my rubber boots that I have stored in my outside garage (that is where I keep mine) would have no scent on them. Now as long as I don't touch any brush atleast they can't smell where I walk or does my scent lock suit keep smell off my feet also?....... Confused.... :think:
BuffaloNYhunter

Unread postby BuffaloNYhunter » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:14 pm

I can respect John and his hunting style.. the scent control tactics is not one I believe or follow. Your wrist strap, pulling arrows while practicing, putting scent lok cloths in their bins with your hands, your bow handle. No way and no thanks. Can't be done and it'll take all the fun. I personally think him hinting 25-30feet in a tree is what does it for him period

Dan I txt you and emailed you to do computer scouting per your service... where you at????
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:56 pm

BuffaloNYhunter wrote:I can respect John and his hunting style.. the scent control tactics is not one I believe or follow. Your wrist strap, pulling arrows while practicing, putting scent lok cloths in their bins with your hands, your bow handle. No way and no thanks. Can't be done and it'll take all the fun. I personally think him hinting 25-30feet in a tree is what does it for him period

Dan I txt you and emailed you to do computer scouting per your service... where you at????

If I were a betting man I’d say work, hunting, or trying to devise a plan to get by carol before she catches him heading out the door to go hunting.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Wannabelikedan wrote:
BuffaloNYhunter wrote:I can respect John and his hunting style.. the scent control tactics is not one I believe or follow. Your wrist strap, pulling arrows while practicing, putting scent lok cloths in their bins with your hands, your bow handle. No way and no thanks. Can't be done and it'll take all the fun. I personally think him hinting 25-30feet in a tree is what does it for him period

If I were a betting man I’d say work, hunting, or trying to devise a plan to get by carol before she catches him heading out the door to go hunting.

Wannabe's assessment is an accurate one. I am going to try and catch up on the many requests I have today. Its not easy, I get a lot of requests and it is hunting season...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”