You've been PInned

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

batsonbe

Re: You've been PInned

Unread postby batsonbe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:49 pm

I dont, haven't tried making eye contact with them though.

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Nearly all predators of the whitetail have eyes fixated forward like we do. Most probably have better suited camouflage than ours. Since birth, a whitetail has to evade predators with a set of eyes staring them down. If you think not staring back doesn’t put them on edge, I would say you are greatly mistaken. I even go as far as not moving my eyes and staring at something else if they’re that close. They know the feeling of being watched! :shock:
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:16 pm

Sneeek'n'Around wrote:
brancher147 wrote:I had a mature buck see me on the ground at 5 yards this morning. I had my hat down over my eyes. He just jumped then walked off slowly. Wind and thermals were in my favor. I do not believe I spooked him at all. If I had been looking right at him and made eye contact you better believe he would have been spooked.

Yeah I agree, no shot or not what you were looking for?

It's bear season this week in WV...Archery deer does not come in until Saturday. Never fails to go bear hunting and see a nice buck. Had a big gobbler at 20 yards also...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:27 am

I try not to look them in the eyes for the most part. We are predators and they are the prey after all. Deer have a strong instinct to evade all kinds of different predators, and locking eyes with them will do nothing but make them more nervous or suspicious.
If the deer has previously locked eyes with a hunter and survived, they will probably be even more jittery than normal in my opinion.
Last thing you want is a big alpha doe blowing at you for 15 minutes a half hour before dark.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:25 am

Personally I made close quarters eye contact with three this year. I wasn't going to shoot any from the get, so just watching. Button buck busted out, but he didn't look at me in the tree until he hit my scent, eye contact and gone.
A doe turned to head up a run I was ground sitting on and we had a stare down at 8 yards. She certainly knew I shouldn't be there and made her way into the cattails, but she certainly didn't break her neck doing it, looking back at me three times.
The last was a buck, big but not mature, we locked eyes tree to ground, he stared a moment, then casually walked his way off, time enough for me to get my cell out and film him.

I'm sure a blink would change things... :think:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:48 am

I don't make eye contact. What would be the point of making eye contact anyways? May as well play it safe and focus on something else on the deer. I also squint as well, trying to cover up the eyes as much as possible.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:11 am

I try not to make eye contact. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but I do know that when I have a stare down with my dog it makes her extremely uncomfortable. Granted that's at close range but it obviously has an effect on her.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”