The "October Lull"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you notice a drop off in deer sightings during the middle of October?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 68
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: The "October Lull"

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:37 am

whitetailassasin wrote:Unless the drurys changed since I last saw their videos, they hunt patterns, field edges and bedding areas, not specific beds. They monitor cameras to tell them when bucks are moving in the areas they look to kill them. Very big difference to bed hunting to me, at least how I hunt them. They also talk of deer leaving there farms and vanishing...my belief is pressure, as well as food source changing or feed patterns of preferred food...I'll repeat that preferred food. I love public land because I can go after deer that may never leave those thousands of acres outside of the rut. Unless your private is low impact, has bedding, food, water, and is really big inside, those bucks will move. And if I'm not mistaken JD you hunt smaller parcels, which from what I've seen has the deer moving constantly. Example Mainebowhunters urban zones and shifting. It's my personal opinion that there is no lull, but what there is lack of movement in easy access areas and early season feed patterns and early season bedding before the pressure gets on them.

And your right about your assessments. I follow these bucks .75 of a mile + to where they shift to. Sometimes more depending. One of the things I learned was just how big you have to think when your thinking mature bucks. Its why public land is such a big deal in the midwest. Its hard if deer shift .5 mile and your hunting 40 acres even 600 acres. In Maine with the access the way it is, you can really roam far and wide. Especially scouting land that is not posted. IF I find something I like, many times, I start knocking on doors and get the access I need.

One of the bucks I killed this year, I picked him up .75 miles away in june in 2016. Bucks shifted in August of that year. In fact, both bucks I was hunting first saw them there. I was able to knock on some doors and gain AWESOME access. Funny thing is, I am hunting right on the edge of bonafide "public" land :D

Its why when guys say nocturnal, I kind of cringe. Most times, I am just not in his wheel house.

I think you will find with most successful guys on here, there is always a part of the game they are working on. Its identifying a weakness in yourself and trying to improve it. The October lull whether it exists or not, does not matter. You can either sit back and fish, play golf or dive in and really try to understand what is happening.

northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:04 pm

elk yinzer wrote:As for the PA areas I have hunted....I don't think specific beds are as predictable here in the mountains as in some parts of the country. Or maybe I have not sought out the types of terrain like swamps where they are, but we don't have many swamps to go around in these parts. I don't think deer and especially mature bucks are very patternable without Ag as a major influence. Throw in the fact that oaks are literally ubiquitous here and more years than not, they can bed and gorge themselves on acorns without having to move more than 50 yards in a day. Call it what you will, but finally toss in a couple mid-October heat waves, some increased hunting pressure, and I think you have all the ingredients for a very noticeable decline in deer sightings that doesn't pick up again until you get a couple cold snaps later in the month to get the bucks feeling randy and on their feet looking for early does.

exactly!!coould not have said it better.. I hunt southern western ny near the western PA boarder rolling hill terrain and yes I agree they bed where it is safe and where there are acorns. and if it is hot they have to move minimal. I am afraid to try a water source with the swirling winds down low. i think I am going to stick with trying to slip on a bed or two at night and scout the mornings...I still think it is warm and to early for them to be on any kind of rut schedule but the pressure has been low in a few of my good spots...we are way more pumped up about hunting them then they are about moving right now.. it is hard to be patient on some of those rut spots i have been waiting for
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:03 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:Unless the drurys changed since I last saw their videos, they hunt patterns, field edges and bedding areas, not specific beds. They monitor cameras to tell them when bucks are moving in the areas they look to kill them. Very big difference to bed hunting to me, at least how I hunt them. They also talk of deer leaving there farms and vanishing...my belief is pressure, as well as food source changing or feed patterns of preferred food...I'll repeat that preferred food. I love public land because I can go after deer that may never leave those thousands of acres outside of the rut. Unless your private is low impact, has bedding, food, water, and is really big inside, those bucks will move. And if I'm not mistaken JD you hunt smaller parcels, which from what I've seen has the deer moving constantly. Example Mainebowhunters urban zones and shifting. It's my personal opinion that there is no lull, but what there is lack of movement in easy access areas and early season feed patterns and early season bedding before the pressure gets on them.

I think you are right, I don't recall ever hearing the Drury's talk about hunting beds.

I am hunting small parcels, but they join much larger parcels with some unpressured area. Thats the only reason I feel like there is something I can learn. Otherwise I would chalk it all up to pressure as well.Outside this area though, hunters get thick fast.

If there is no lull, and the bucks move due to pressure, I dont see why would they come back to a known dangerous area starting late October. I know they get dumb during the rut, but this doesnt seem like an area they would return to so easily for normal daylight activity if they thought there was danger nearby.

I hunt lots of public as well, but not much during this time of year.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:18 pm

There are some excellent posts here guys :clap:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Is there actually someone on here that can relate their hunting to the Drury's? :shock:

I know I can't! My hunting is not even in the same relm of reality, as the Drury's hunting encounters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:47 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:

And your right about your assessments. I follow these bucks .75 of a mile + to where they shift to. Sometimes more depending. One of the things I learned was just how big you have to think when your thinking mature bucks. Its why public land is such a big deal in the midwest. Its hard if deer shift .5 mile and your hunting 40 acres even 600 acres. In Maine with the access the way it is, you can really roam far and wide. Especially scouting land that is not posted. IF I find something I like, many times, I start knocking on doors and get the access I need.

One of the bucks I killed this year, I picked him up .75 miles away in june in 2016. Bucks shifted in August of that year. In fact, both bucks I was hunting first saw them there. I was able to knock on some doors and gain AWESOME access. Funny thing is, I am hunting right on the edge of bonafide "public" land :D

Its why when guys say nocturnal, I kind of cringe. Most times, I am just not in his wheel house.

I think you will find with most successful guys on here, there is always a part of the game they are working on. Its identifying a weakness in yourself and trying to improve it. The October lull whether it exists or not, does not matter.You can either sit back and fish, play golf or dive in and really try to understand what is happening.

Been thinking more about this lull stuff all day during my slow night at work. Honestly I do believe if there really is a lull it applies only to the truly mature bucks that are 4 year old plus. You have to admit that they do become much more nocturnal once the hunting pressure picks up. Can’t kill them if they don’t leave their bed till a 1/2 hour after dark. I don’t care how good you are at setting up on beds if they are staying there past shooting hours you WILL NOT kill them. The pattern I see every year and this season is no different is sure guys are putting bucks down during the so called “lull” but a very large majority of them are the much easier to kill younger bucks 3 years and under. When I start seeing guys killing 160” 5 year old bucks on a consistant basis in mid October then I will be a true believer. So far I haven’t seen anybody do it every single year and doubt I ever will. That is why so many focus on the rut. Fact is those bucks are never harder to kill than they are right now. They are truly at the top of their game and if you tag one you did something special. In a few weeks those big old bucks will be dropping like crazy only because a hot doe makes them drop their guard and get on their feet in daylight.

I’m going fishing. Catching a 50” musky would mean just as much to me as killing a B & C buck. See you guys in the rut. ;)
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Deer activity overall drops off in October.

There's just so much food a buck can stand up in his bed and eat right there.

The bucks I'm hearing get up from beds stay in there bedding areas till dark eating fresh acorns that are falling. They bed where they can see water most of the time so setting up over their water source is tough.

I think October movement is much better in areas with fewer oak trees.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:13 pm

I wouldn't generalize it as the middle of October, but do think that leaf drop time is one of the biggest factors in the lack of movement. It's a huge change in their surroundings and I think they wait more for the security of darkness since they do not have that security of cover much anymore. Just my thoughts.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Ack wrote:I wouldn't generalize it as the middle of October, but do think that leaf drop time is one of the biggest factors in the lack of movement. It's a huge change in their surroundings and I think they wait more for the security of darkness since they do not have that security of cover much anymore. Just my thoughts.

Agree
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Dewey wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:

I think you will find with most successful guys on here, there is always a part of the game they are working on. Its identifying a weakness in yourself and trying to improve it. The October lull whether it exists or not, does not matter.You can either sit back and fish, play golf or dive in and really try to understand what is happening.

Been thinking more about this lull stuff all day during my slow night at work. Honestly I do believe if there really is a lull it applies only to the truly mature bucks that are 4 year old plus. You have to admit that they do become much more nocturnal once the hunting pressure picks up. Can’t kill them if they don’t leave their bed till a 1/2 hour after dark. I don’t care how good you are at setting up on beds if they are staying there past shooting hours you WILL NOT kill them. The pattern I see every year and this season is no different is sure guys are putting bucks down during the so called “lull” but a very large majority of them are the much easier to kill younger bucks 3 years and under. When I start seeing guys killing 160” 5 year old bucks on a consistant basis in mid October then I will be a true believer. So far I haven’t seen anybody do it every single year and doubt I ever will. That is why so many focus on the rut. Fact is those bucks are never harder to kill than they are right now. They are truly at the top of their game and if you tag one you did something special. In a few weeks those big old bucks will be dropping like crazy only because a hot doe makes them drop their guard and get on their feet in daylight.

I’m going fishing. Catching a 50” musky would mean just as much to me as killing a B & C buck. See you guys in the rut. ;)

I remember watching a video with White Knuckle where Todd was hunting and a mature buck came in and bedded down. Buck never got up during daylight. He was moving to bed in a spot...but camera light faded. That buck never stood up.

I was chasing a couple of those this year. But I am also a realist. Holding out for 5.5 yr old plus in Maine during October or any period of the year takes a better hunter than me. I am not passing any 3.5 or 4.5 buck to get a shot at bigger. Not in Maine. Running 25+ cams on 1000s of acres tends to lull someone into thinking they are "on it" more than they really are. I have spent so many hours in the past 2 seasons chasing 1 buck...the closest I have come to him has been this year. He showed up 1x in daylight during the season in september. 1x that I know of. I have not pinned down definite bedding areas that I KNOW he uses. If he makes the season, I will be diving in again. I still have 10 - 15 cams running in this area just looking for something that I can take advantage of.

I will also say, I see movement change for ALL deer, not just mature bucks. Great discussion.
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:31 pm

Great stuff here guys! I propose that we compare the rate of submission in the buck lineup thread during the lull, to the rate of submission during the rest of the season. After the season of course.

I confess that the middle of October is a time period that I have struggled with historically. In the past, I have backed out of my best property and hunted does on less than stellar properties. This year I am scouting with a stand on my back, and trying to add new spots to the . I hope to find enough pressure beds on public to keep me busy, so that I can leave my best spots unmolested until primetime. You guys are an inspiration!!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:45 pm

fireforeffect wrote:Great stuff here guys! I propose that we compare the rate of submission in the buck lineup thread during the lull, to the rate of submission during the rest of the season. After the season of course.

I confess that the middle of October is a time period that I have struggled with historically. In the past, I have backed out of my best property and hunted does on less than stellar properties. This year I am scouting with a stand on my back, and trying to add new spots to the . I hope to find enough pressure beds on public to keep me busy, so that I can leave my best spots unmolested until primetime. You guys are an inspiration!!

And your going to find that the majority of the good bucks are still killed during hormone based partterns.

Which kind of brings up another good point. If you only have one tag...and you have a long season...it would only make sense to save those for the best period.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:49 pm

There are many reasons for reduced deer movement. Hunting pressure. Changing food sources. Leaf drop and the associated bedding shift. Hot or just stagnant weather.

October is not one of them. Telemetry studies have shown without a doubt deer movement slowly increases over the month of October. We hunters either must adapt or fail...if you are blaming it on the October lull you are learning nothing.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:58 pm

early October is a slow time. The window of daylight movement is as small as it is all year. Yes, there is a lull. However, Beasts still get it done by setting up within that window of opportunity. If your hunting food plots, funnels, scrape lines, a pile of corn, you will really notice the "lull" If you hunt close to bedding, not as much.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:59 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:
fireforeffect wrote:Great stuff here guys! I propose that we compare the rate of submission in the buck lineup thread during the lull, to the rate of submission during the rest of the season. After the season of course.

And your going to find that the majority of the good bucks are still killed during hormone based partterns.

Which kind of brings up another good point. If you only have one tag...and you have a long season...it would only make sense to save those for the best period.

I would disagree Maine. If making it as easy as possible to get "any good buck" was the most important thing to a hunter, then yea you are right. I know this is Reductio ad absurdum but if we want it as easy as possible why not save all the money we spend on trail cameras and buy a canned hunt. But many of us enjoy challenges. We enjoy learning as much as possible about our prey and adapting to what we observe.

On top of that I firmly believe that peak rut is a lousy time to intentionally kill a certain target buck...its the most likely time he will be killed by SOMEONE, but not by you. Just another angle to look at things.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”