New Bed Found.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ghost Hunter

New Bed Found.

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:08 am

(Blue Dots) Scrapes
(Red Dot) Bed
(Red Lines) Trails
Tree that is next bed.
Down hill leads into thick cutover. Bed is about 30 yards off a fence line that has been bush hogged. Path is about 15 feet wide an about 200 yards long. I'm going to try an hunt this on a good wind. Problem is Don't know which wind would be good. I feel a buck is laying an watching trail. With his back to tree. If that is so he is there on a North Wind. Can not come in from that way. Because he would wind me. South wind would put him at risk an no protection from behind. I suppose a NW wind or NE wind would be best for that location. I have no intel for this spot. I do have believe that with a doubt more than one buck is using this bed. Another problem is it is so thick in there that a bow shot would have to be 15 yards at most. First thought is I have to do some trimming in spring in this spot.

Buck direction.
He is without a doubt watching trail for does or predators. Using North wind to guard his back. But evidence shows that he is coming over hill going north an hitting scrapes. Most likely after dark. I'm sure at this time of season if a doe came through he would be checking her.

You can bet this location will have a camera watching in two different directions coming next year. Maybe this year. I have more question than answers at this time.

Any help, thoughts, questions would be appreciated.

I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
<DK>
500 Club

Re: New Bed Found.

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:06 am

Assuming im following everything correctly, it looks like you got a nice over looked spot and nice bed! My issue is not sure how long it will last w the cut access trail and rut approaching. Is the right of the pic down hill? Judging from the shape of the bed he looks to be laying long ways w the pic. Does the larger trunk tree have rub marks on it? Im curious bc its hard to tell from the light... One thing I can say is that I see your scrape setup a lot in HC scenarios. Im always looking for scrapes close to bedding (like Dan talks about) but the most huntable/easier sets are flat, thick terrain. I have found many scrapes up wind of HC beds and it has be pulling my hair out some times.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:41 pm

That bed is mainly against tree. Does look like it rotates some too. But, most is against tree. Trail and down hill is in front tree. On side I'm on. I think there are some marks on tree where it may have been laying in bed and rubbing antlers on tree. I'm going put camera on two locations 150 yards or so from bed next time I go down.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:11 pm

I think the light on the forest floor thru me off on the bed, sorry. Personally like your idea of a off wind setup and sounds like got a good handle on it. Good luck, hope you get to see whats using it.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:21 pm

I going throw a few hunts at it when everything is right. But come spring I have one more place to trim and get ready for fall.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”