thank you

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

iuodcoats

thank you

Unread postby iuodcoats » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:11 am

This is my first post. I've been reading on this board for the past year since a friend recommended it. I thought I'd share my recent hunt. I just got back from land between the lakes. We hunted Saturday thru Monday. It's classic hill country. The last time there our group of 3 hunted the bottoms and woods and collectively saw 1 doe the entire trip.

I went in with a plan of setting up on leeward sides of ridges and hunting a different spot each sit if I wasn't on anything good. I hunted saturday evening (nothing). Moved my stand 600 yards, Sunday morning(nothing). It started to rain about 10 o'clock sunday morning so I got down and scouted for fresh sign thinking the rain may wash some of my scent away. One of my buddies was hunting a scrape he found up the ridge setting up over the top of it. I walked down the ridge and found some rubs leading into a cedar thicket about 150 yards downwind from the fresh scrape. There was a nice saddle crossing the ridge east and west. The ridge ran mostly north and south. I set up about 40 yards south of the cedar thicket and saddle and 100 yards south of the scrape. There was a northwest wind which was hitting me in the back of the head. The buck came in from a steep ridge side south of the saddle quartering in to the wind. I shot him directly downwind of me at 32 yards. I think he was about to jet when I shot him.

iuodcoats

Re: thank you

Unread postby iuodcoats » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:15 am

My best public land buck ever! Thanks so much for this site and all the youtube videos. I think my wife thinks I'm crazy when I'm in the back yard practicing climbing up trees and watching youtube videos until 1 in the morning. This site has forever changed the way I will hunt.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:36 am

Great to hear of your success.

This site has no equal and never will.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:46 am

Congrats on your buck. Your story made me smile, if you adapt all of the different tactics presented on this forum to a particular situation your success killing deer will increase. This is absolutely the best place to learn to hunt deer and mature bucks with many seasoned hunters that don't mined sharing what works for them. Good luck in your pursuit.
iuodcoats

Unread postby iuodcoats » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:49 am

northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:17 pm

well done that is a fine buck... public land? i drew this diagram out i was interested to see how the set up really looked. you said steep ridge..... was it like a milttary crest almost? i found some hills this year with some pretty wicked drop offs but a man could get down there if he had to without climbing gear but as i walked it I thought no way a deer is walking this they will find an easier way... was it the path of least resistance? I think a good point was him quartering into the wind i have observed this a few times now sine really paying attention to the wind... again nice deer!! i agree this site has changed my hunting life forever
iuodcoats

Unread postby iuodcoats » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words. Wish I could accurately translate the hunt from my head to this post. I'm sure most here will know what I'm trying to describe. I would have never considered setting up with the wind at my back before. Also wouldn't have scouted during a rain storm or set up 150 yards from an active scrape. I feel like I know why I haven't been seeing/killing more big bucks. For the area I was hunting this is a great deer. My buddies said I was the luckiest SOB they've ever seen. I think I read somewhere on here that luck is where preparation meets opportunity so I took it as a compliment.

Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Wow! Congrats, gotta love the big's !!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Welcome and Awesome Job! Congratulations :clap: :violence-bowandarrow:
iuodcoats

Unread postby iuodcoats » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Public land. Land between the lakes is 170,000 acres. It's a national forest at the Kentucky/Tennessee border
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Great looking buck man congrats!!!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:43 pm

Nice congrts. Time to get some small batch KY bourbon out!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Well done. Congrats.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Congrats! Make sure to post the pic in the line up! 8-)
rff

Unread postby rff » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Wow! That is a great Buck! Congrats

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”