How cold does it need to be for AM October sit?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

comeback_kid

How cold does it need to be for AM October sit?

Unread postby comeback_kid » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:51 am

I have only had one AM sit this year and it was in a cold front with temps at 37 or 38 degrees. Activity was there and I had a crack at a mature buck. However temps are back up a bit and I was wondering...Is 50 degrees cold enough to warrant an AM sit at this time in October?

cdeam

Re: How cold does it need to be for AM October sit?

Unread postby cdeam » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:11 am

A good moon could also be a reason to sit a morning. Sometimes deer will stay out a bit longer. If you are hunting access to bedding, go for it.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:51 am

I am a proponent of morning hunts and generally prefer them anyway, but it takes 30's to get me the kind of excited to go for broke in one of my honey holes. Maybe up into the 40's immediately after a warm spell. Not saying they won't move if it's 50, they will, but if it warms up and hits 60 pretty early in the day, in my experience you'll get that very early movement and then that's it. I do like the morning after a long, hard rain too, then it can be a little warmer.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
wkpjs

Unread postby wkpjs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:11 am

It has been my experience anything south of 55 seems to get me in the action.
Be Safe

Jason
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:25 am

wkpjs wrote:It has been my experience anything south of 55 seems to get me in the action.

X2 I like the 40s...I also try to focus on temp averages combined w a good wind change & moon day.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:30 am

I like at least a 15-20 degree overnight drop from the previous days high. I only need this to happen a handful of times because I only have a few beds that setup well for morning access.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:43 am

I just had a 140s class 10pt at 12yds quartering to and under my stand on Sunday and it was 65 degrees in the AM. Never shot as he bolted once he passed the stand where I was hoping to shoot him quartering away. Probably should have taken the quartering to. Anyways, my point is, you never know. Admittedly, I did not expect it that morning.

I like morning hunts and have better success in the AM despite that most here prefer PM hunts.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Obviously colder is better, but I've always thought If the days are warmer and drier than normal like it is here right now, the bigger bucks are getting a later than normal start in the evenings which should hopefully shift their travel time later the following morning.

Also it is much cooler and quieter moving for them with dew dampened leaves an hour after sunrise verses an hour before sunset in warm weather and crunchy leaves.
There is also the fact that bucks will be doing more socializing and interacting with other deer from about mid October on which can make them run a little later than normal getting back to bedding. Add in an overcast morning or a like someone said an overnight shower that just ended and you should have good action.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:26 pm

In warmer weather mornings are most always cooler than evenings.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Stanley wrote:In warmer weather mornings are most always cooler than evenings.

Good point Stanley

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”