Insight on a hit buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MIbuckmaster14

Insight on a hit buck

Unread postby MIbuckmaster14 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:55 am

Hey guys, this is my first post on here and just wanted to say I really like following and learning from you guys. Have implemented some beast style tactics into my hunting style and am starting to see it pay off already.

So, my buddy hit a nice 8 pt this morning. 30 yard shot, broadside. After he shot the buck bolted off and he could see the arrow was still in the buck when he ran off. The buck got to the edge of the woods which was about 50 yards from where he shot him and stopped and walked into the woods. He could no longer see it and we backed out because he thought he hit it a little high and the way the buck reacted, we wanted to give him some time.
We gave the buck 5 hours and came back. Where he shot the buck, there was no blood at all. Found a few drops of pretty dark red blood between where he shot him and the woods. We got on the blood trail and he did a zig zag through the woods for about 250 yards. There was blood on both sides with even the arrow still in him. Found a few places where he stopped but did not bed down. He was definetly walking the whole time it seemed. Finally after a few hours we came upon where he pulled the arrow out. He definetly did not bed down here.The arrow was covered in blood and there was blood on sprayed on a tree, and leafs. After this we could not find anymore blood. Circled around looking for anymore blood and didn't find anything. Did a little body search also and nothing. You guys think he is still alive? I'm thinking he maybe hit him in what they call "no mans land". Just really sucks tracking him that far with semi decent blood and coming up empty. Any insightful information would help.
Thanks

Ghost Hunter

Re: Insight on a hit buck

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:10 pm

I really don't feel it was a hit that would kill him. Dark blood is most of time a muscle hit. Seems like blood clot set in.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Sure sounds like a high hit in the backbone above the vitals and spine. On a decent buck there is several inches above the spine where the vertebra and shoulders all kinda protect the vitals.

Depending where the exact hit was.. sometimes only a couple inches of penetration. Other times it does penetrate but usually not pass through.

Sounds like you guys played it well. Good job.

What did the arrow look like? Any indication on where the blood was coming from? High? Low?

Anything weird found? Bone..stomach matter..etc??

How much penetration did he think he got?? Where exactly does he think he hit? Angle of the animal? Angle of the shot? How high was the shooter..

I can't sleep if I hit one till I exhaust myself. I don't hunt again for a good bit and keep searching. That's just me.i feel that's my job.

Not bedding in that distance and not being pushed is probably a good indicator that it wasn't a fatal hit IMO. Guts/liver/vitals that will kill an animal always has them bedded within 200yds from my experience.

Good luck.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:21 am

Doesn't sound fatal but tough to say.

Welcome to the beast.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:50 am

Ya that's tough. Definitely not a good sign he didn't bed down. Meat hits can still bleed a lot.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Doesn't sound like you got enough arrow in him.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”