After $1000's spent ive accepted it

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Re: After $1000's spent ive accepted it

Unread postby briar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:38 am

I appreciate all of this information. Very helpful! My next problem would be how to haul all of the essentials. This morning i was #152 lbs. Carrying #45 lbs of clothes stand sticks bow and food will certainly be a challenge..esp while not sweating, but ill work on a system.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:51 am

When I have to hike in with warm gear on you just have to take your sweet time, I try and still hunt my way into spots because you just break out sweating so fast even when dressed light. I take a lot of breaks and sometimes strip down if I have to, better to get there late than take a sweat shower on the way in.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:17 am

What would be a good “walking in” jacket? One that could keep the chill off, not cause sweating and make a great underlayer once on stand?

I’ve been looking at the First Lite Sawtooth jacket. Merino wool so woul still be warm if wet.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:46 am

mheichelbech wrote:What would be a good “walking in” jacket? One that could keep the chill off, not cause sweating and make a great underlayer once on stand?

I’ve been looking at the First Lite Sawtooth jacket. Merino wool so woul still be warm if wet.

I wear an under armor type hoody.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:44 am

mheichelbech wrote:What would be a good “walking in” jacket? One that could keep the chill off, not cause sweating and make a great underlayer once on stand?

Go as light as you can. I wear a wool shirt and pants over my thermals. That's it. When I get to where I am going I put on my jumpsuit once I start to cool off.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:03 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:

Go as light as you can. I wear a wool shirt and pants over my thermals. That's it. When I get to where I am going I put on my jumpsuit once I start to cool off.

Bob

X2. I packed in my stand, sticks, iwom, pack and waders this weekend. Wore a wool shirt, wool bottoms and carhartt pants. That is it. Gun season I might add a hoody and carry extra layers in. Walk slow, and carry everything on your back. You want to be freezing cold when you start walking. If you are warm right away, you will get soaked in sweat.

A mid weight wool top is great. I have the black tech top from ice breaker. 260 weight. Tougher than nails, and works great
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:09 pm

elk yinzer wrote:
Redman232 wrote:Have you tried spending more time outside when you are not hunting? I always think it's interesting that 30 degrees in November/December feels so cold, but 20 degrees in February is like t shirt weather.

There's a ton of truth to this. Single digits is where I truly struggle to stay warm. 30's is pretty comfortable to me.

I'm just a cold blooded person though. It's just crazy to me that people survive without AC and keep their houses 75 degrees in winter. My thermostat is set on 65 throughout winter and I walk around in shorts and a tshirt.

Same here same settings. Ive been getting colder last few years though ive noticed it.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Sometimes I go in with lightweight zipoff pants and a very light jacket or longsleeved shirt over a short sleeved shirt. Keep in mind I am usually going up a steep ridge or mountain so I heat up quick. But as I heat up I can zip my pants into shorts (and just let the pants bottoms fall to my boots) and take off my light jacket or longsleeved shirt. Then when I get to my spot I strip down, and put on new socks, and layers, and pants, and jacket. This would be a lot carrying stand and sticks also, I don't usually do that. I usually hunt from the ground, or have a pre-hung stand when it gets real cold.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
battlinbill

Unread postby battlinbill » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:52 am

These guys are right. Acclimation, just time outside in the cold really helps. Believe it or not cold showers too. I crank on the cold at the end of a hot shower. Its good for your heart as well.

Thermacell back pads are awesome. They make cold sits so much bearable.

And disposable hand and foot heaters changed my hunts. I buy them by the case before the season. They do go bad, so use the leftovers from last year when its not too cold out and bring extras. They are loud to unwrap so I do it at the truck unless I have a bad one. And then I figure, I'll chance it rather than go home. Unwrap them inside your hand warmer.

I was given one of those fur mad bomber hats with the ear flaps. Its pretty funny. But I'll tell you, sitting in a tree in the dark, before I really need to to hear, this thing is great. I think they are like 40 bucks. They are hard to hear through, but again, you cant hear deer from your couch either.

Bottom line for me is I need to add an external heat source. No matter how much stuff I wear, If I am not moving, eventually I'll freeze.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:06 am

Speaking of fur, I have heard a few people say they have yote fur jackets that they can't wear because they are too warm for most conditions. Kind of makes a guy want to take up sewing and make his own coyote fur vest for cold weather bow hunting.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:42 am

headgear wrote:Speaking of fur, I have heard a few people say they have yote fur jackets that they can't wear because they are too warm for most conditions. Kind of makes a guy want to take up sewing and make his own coyote fur vest for cold weather bow hunting.

If I wore something like that here I would get shot. No doubt about it.I have a very nice pair of wool lined buckskin hunting mitts that I don't wear doe that reason. I also stay away from white TP.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:44 am

I'm thinking a nice warm under layer Bob, nothing goes over my predator. ;) But yes not something you'd want to wear out in the open.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:55 am

I have a hbs. A lot of guys I know make fun of me, they come up with a lot of reasons not to hunt when it’s cold. Well worth the money imo. I sweat really easy so I put wool socks and a dress sock base layer in my cargo pockets, and put a gallon ziplock inside my boots while walking to avoid getting my liners sweaty, then change at the tree. The bag is a little noisy but if my feet are wet they get cold and I cannot stay long
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:13 am

I’m just gonna say the iwom is up there for best purchases I’ve made for deer hunting.

Merino or under armour base layer to stand, add fleece layers, heavy pants, hoody and iwom at tree. Toasty warm all day. And yesterday was cold.

Brought out a jacket in case my top got cold, been laying under my tree since opening day.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:18 am

Lockdown wrote:
Redman232 wrote:Have you tried spending more time outside when you are not hunting? I always think it's interesting that 30 degrees in November/December feels so cold, but 20 degrees in February is like t shirt weather.

This. I completely agree.

I work construction so I’m out in the elements a lot. You definitely acclimate to the conditions. Not that I don’t get cold on those December hunts.

I fully agree. I am small a small frame guy, but spending much time outside I believe is a huge help. We keep our house a little cooler in the winter than probably most as well.....if the wife is ok with it of course ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”