Kill or no kill?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Did you shoot a buck yet?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 267
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Kill or no kill?

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:31 am

How many of you are in the same boat im in? No buck down yet? Looking at the forum has to be a downer for a lot of guys cause it appears as if everyone is knocking down big bucks...

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Kill or no kill?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:35 am

dan wrote:How many of you are in the same boat im in? No buck down yet? Looking at the forum has to be a downer for a lot of guys cause it appears as if everyone is knocking down big bucks...

Just posted about this...different from you though, I’m not even seeing anything but one good 10 pointer that am very close on. Very little rut activity.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
gravebeforeshave80

Unread postby gravebeforeshave80 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:40 am

I shot my buck on the 18th of October here in ohio....wasn't really the age class I was after but I thought I was removing a deer from the heard that had weird rack growth and didn't expect him to turn into anything better......upon recovery I found that its skull was actually cracked in half and only being held on by its hide....regardless im still thankful to have a freezer full of meat....that said myself along with guys I hunt with have killed or had good encounters from about November 5th to the 13th mainly mid day 11a to 3p
Last edited by gravebeforeshave80 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Terry Urban Jr
NW OHIO
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:41 am

Nothing yet, but im trying to keep positive as i didnt shoot my 10pt last year until new years eve. I have also seen some dandies late season in years past.
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:50 am

No buck for me. Haven't even seen a shooter from stand yet. Surprisingly, it has been a very slow year of movement and with gun season starting up tomorrow morning it might get worse. A lot of time left to get it done though!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:13 am

Shot at 2 bucks. Never found them :oops: :cry:
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:13 am

No buck or deer period from me so far this year. I am a little discouraged after seeing what some of the guys are putting down on the forum. However in my situation I haven't been able to put the time in that they have due to work and family constraints and the truth is I probably never will until I retire. Which is a long ways off for me. I have come to accept that and I also have came to understand having real expectations for where I hunt. I think too many of us out in the real world get too caught up in the tv idea of hunting and that's just not the reality for 90% of the hunters out their.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 am

I haven't killed a buck yet.

Had three shooters within 7 yards in the past few weeks yet never tagged one of them. That's just how it goes sometimes and I don't get too worked up about it anymore.

Oct 28 I called in a 130" 10 pt skirting me in the bedding area. He came down the trail I was hoping he wouldn't bringing him straight on then stopped at 7 yards. Soon after he busted out smelling my scent pooling around my tree due to no wind. As he spun his vitals were covered with branches. No shot.

Nov 3 I wounded a BIG 8 . Arrow deflected at 7 yards and my shot was not true. Wounded my first deer in 15 years. Spent 12 hours searching and 9 miles of tracking then grid searching. He never once bedded so don't think it was a lethal hit. That hurt but I had to move on.

Nov 10 I had a giant buck chase a doe straight on with no shot right to the base of my tree then quickly spun 180 chasing her back the way they came. Only had a split second to decide if I was going to hit the trigger on my release. I hesitated because I didn't like the shot angle and potential for only one lung hit at 5 yards. That hesitation cost me a chance at by far the biggest buck I ever had in bow range. Mass was unbelievable and this was a buck of a lifetime. It's an opportunity I have been waiting my entire life for and it flashed by in a matter of 3 seconds from the time they ran in on me until he was gone out of my life. Frustrating yet I know I did the right thing. If I had wounded another buck that would have been devastating to me.

It's funny because as I get older it doesn't even bother me that my tag isn't filled yet. I'm totally at peace with it and feel no pressure whatsoever.

My season isn't done since I'm now looking forward to the late bow season. It's not over till it's over. If I don't fill my buck tag by then it's not the end of the world. The journey has been fun and that's by far the most important thing to me. Tagging a buck is a bonus.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:38 am

Nope. I put more pressure on myself to learn more and cost myself 2 chances. One I couldn’t get my bow drawn back quick enough, and the other cause I took too long setting up.

Sucks but I learned something each hunt. To me that’s more important in the long run.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:45 am

NO BUCK!

I just got back from my annual Midwest trip and have still yet to kill a buck. I had an encounter with a 160"+ buck with lots of trash and a giant of an 8 pointer. I still feel like throwing up over them two deer, needless to say I brought a buck tag home with me that is just flat out demoralizing. I have a long Louisiana season left though, so I'm holding out hope.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:49 am

Not only have I not tagged one, I didn’t even lay eyes on the first shooter of the season (while hunting... have seen some shining) until yesterday. There’s a lot of season left and things can turn around in the blink of an eye. ;)
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:56 am

Nada, have seen plenty of decent bucks, have yet to even lay eyes on one I would pull the trigger on. Maybe too selective for a NY public land hunter but it is what it is.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:01 am

I think it would be much more difficult if i was a seasoned hunter with a lot of kills and a good skillset.

Im an amateur so I learn everytime, kill or no kill...I only get out a handful of times each season, and to be honest, I leave the field with a smile on my face even if I got up my tree quietly and hung a good mobile set.

Once I feel like I am good enough to be on big bucks then I will get more frustrated i would assume.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:10 am

Nobody should be discouraged based on what some other internet guys ( :lol: ) are doing, in some totally different area and circumstances. I shot one already, and the only pressure I feel is from myself for the 2nd tag.

However, if everyone in your hunt camp is seeing or killing bucks besides you, then I would feel a bit discouraged :?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:12 am

I killed a smaller buck at the end of my rutcation. I’m okay with that. Now I have a good amount of meat in the freezer. Additionally I love bringing deer home to my kids. They don’t care how big the racks are

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”