Late November tips

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

Late November tips

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:57 pm

How do you go about bow hunting late November? Rut is slowing down or the waiting game has started for the 2nd rutting time frame. Where do you setup? Do you call? Field edges or deep in the bush? Personally for me. I am still hunting thick areas near bedding and hunting areas near food sources. I'm not so much in rut mode but will still sit ridge systems for general travel and the odd straggler buck. I have always found that time frame one of the tougher for me to nail down on mature bucks. What do you do? Think this is a good discussion piece

Jdaukontas

Re: Late November tips

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Go back to hunting buck bedding areas. As we get further into November, I give up my efforts hunting mornings and go back to pounding the evenings. At this time of year deer are wising up to pressure and are bedded before sunrise. The urge to feed and continue to pack it on for winter gets them up in the evening before dark, you just need to get into the game. There are obviously exceptions to this, as some does are still coming into estrous and periodically you will come across one (which is awesome) but rare from my experiences. Abandon field edges and focus on bedding areas. My hunting area is not like on TV and deer don't enter fields, or even approach them until after dark. And go away from calling blind. Deer are smart and have been called at all season.

Last year I had an awesome encounter with a stud because I hunted in a little strip of woods near the highway...maybe 2 acres. Buck got up at last night and came to me. Stopped right behind a bush with only his rack sticking out. Something must have seemed out of the ordinary because he slowly turned and went back towards his bed. Moral of the story, look for places that haven't seen pressure. These can be simple spots like the one mentioned above, or you may have to put miles on the boots to reach it. Either way, take a chance on your setups, you have nothing to lose now.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:24 pm

We have talked about some post lockdown activity that can happen as the bucks search for the last few does, I have maybe seen this a few times from the road later in November but by then I am out of vacation days and the wife needs a little break. I think there is a solid case to be made to be out there anytime you can but if anyone has some dates that might relate to that post lock down time frame I would love to hear them.
cameron

Unread postby cameron » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:03 pm

I've only had the chance to get out twice this year and in years past I've pretty much killed my buck or does by now. Any info on post rut/lock down beast tactics would be great.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:08 pm

I generally see great activity a full week after rifle ends. Then things take a dip. At that point ill switch back to buck bedding and food sources. One particular thing is I like to seek out the very high population areas bc there is generally piles of does. So there are more opportunies to catch later rut action. Iv found rut beds, while off season scouting in places like that.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:30 pm

If you find a fresh scrape, hunt it. I never hunt over scrapes or rubs throughout the season but a freshened up scrape in late nov can be money.
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:45 pm

I agree with the deer bedding before sunrise bc they know we're out there. But the last 2 bucks I have killed were around midday or later and the deer were getti NV up bease it is cold and they want some food....it's hard to break out of the early morning hunting frame and I like to hit the woods about 9:30-10 and hunt till I can't stand it cold or dark
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:32 am

crankn101 wrote:If you find a fresh scrape, hunt it. I never hunt over scrapes or rubs throughout the season but a freshened up scrape in late nov can be money.

Agree completely.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”