End of November Tactics?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

End of November Tactics?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:17 am

I know lots of big bucks are taken late November. For the guys that have, what tactics are you using. In December I pray for snow and cold, but that doesn't happen often in November.

I'm planning top sit a low impact food source in the evenings evening hope for some luck and cold (private land), and the backside of a bedding area when the wind is good.

muddy

Re: End of November Tactics?

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 am

Hunt what the bucks are hunting... does. Downwind of bedding, or transition areas between bedding, and food in the evening
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:31 am

I start hunting adjacent to low pressured parcels that I Know hold bucks but either I can't hunt them or they can't be hunted. Scientific Natural areas and such.
Permission is easier to obtained on neighboring property's this late and if I can find food in these key spots I often find mature bucks reaching out after young does. Much farther than any other time of year
I Know most guys say they move closer to bedding however if I can get next to an unpressured buck sanctuary the next 2 weeks I see great daylight travel from 4 and 5 yrolds that otherwise live unseen.

Their drive to breed amazes me after seeing the body condition on the late season buck I shot last year. I'd be shocked if he made it through the winter up here
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 am

Late season its the food sources
Swamp_donkey

Unread postby Swamp_donkey » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:43 pm

Transition between dense or very secure bedding near unpressured, high quality food sources and doe bedding is where I have most often had success late Nov. Bonus points if you can find relief from the wind on a cold, windy day.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:45 am

How about time of day you guys like for Late November?

By December i'm hunting pretty much evenings only, but Ive seen some good bucks lately sneak away mid day to a close food source within a thick area. They wont hit the open food mid day, but on old oak or apple tree might get hit mid day. I saw that as recent as a week ago. Does that happen mainly during the end of the rut or does that continue here and there with mature bucks?
Swamp_donkey

Unread postby Swamp_donkey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:28 am

I've had limited midday action after mid November but I would certainly have to say I've noticed on several occasions 3.5 yr old bucks being first deer out to food sources this time of year in the afternoon. Older guys I think still know better but they're all hungry this time of year.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see mature bucks getting up midday, shuffle around a bit, grab a drink and a little nibble before bedding back down. I'd be inclined to believe this is likely going on inside or very near their bedding area, which makes it pretty challenging to get close enough to them.

My money this time of year is on finding the highest quality, secure feeding area with nearby heavy bedding cover. Hunt any types of thick cover funnels connecting the two in the afternoon. Get in early and go slow, sit until dark. This has produced my biggest buck to date.
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:31 am

:think:
I've been wondering the same. Will bucks still bed on ridges/points? Or with the woods so open now and all the pressure will they choose the thick stuff?
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Bump this to the top. I want hear from more guys.
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:07 pm

Most of my late November early December encounters are actually between 11-2 with the next highest amount right at dark. But I am almost always in THICK nasty bedding where they are pretty comfortable moving all day.

I'm still doing all day sits (or extended sits like 10-dark). Mostly where I've seen bucks with or looking for does in years past.

I used to give up on the rut after about the 15th of Nov. and switch to bedding/food patterns again. BUT... Over the years I started to notice a lot of the biggest bucks are on the move later into the month (at least here). I can't explain why, but observations don't lie.

As far as bedding. I definitely see a switch in bedding, but it already happened here. It happens around the time of leaf drop. Everything opens way up and cover is really sparse. Small game also opens about that time, so a lot more people are in the woods. This pushes almost all deer into the untouched areas of dense cover. It's actually when a lot of my spots get better and I see more than just mature bucks, I start to see a lot of deer. Deer become a lot more concentrated (but many are also driven into surrounding neighborhoods here). They aren't dumb, the number of deer in yards explodes when the leaves fall and small game opens.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”