Poison Ivy on gear

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

basspro05
500 Club

Poison Ivy on gear

Unread postby basspro05 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:48 pm

So last weekend I set up in the dark on a morning hunt. I didn’t realize there was a vine growing up the side of the tree until the sun came up and I could see it on the tree. Other than noticing it I just assumed it was some sort of vine..I was hunting a thick transition and was more focused on the deer to be honest.

Three days later my hands break out in nasty blisters, and I’ve got rashes popping up all over still over a week later..let’s just say I emptied my bladder in the parking lot after the hunt so some rashes are more painful than others :oops:

I was reading online even the dormant vines are potent and the oil will stay on a surface for up to 5 years. I just spent two hours washing all my gear...straps, sticks, stand, range finder, flashlight, bow, bungee cords...you get the point

I had no clue poison ivy was still dangerous even after a couple of freezes...another reason I hate hanging a set in the dark!

Tempy

Re: Poison Ivy on gear

Unread postby Tempy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Dang man that's bad news. I see some nasty poison ivy in the clinic (I am a Physician assistant) and some oral steroids (prednisone) clears it up pretty quickly. Just an option depending on how bad you are suffering.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:49 pm

I did this exact samething earlier in the week! Even when I noticed the vine, I thought I haven't got this crud in years, so I wasn't concerned. Next morning my eyes were swole shut and cheeks looked like a chipmunk. A quick trip to the doctor for a shot dried it up pretty quick. And I went ahead and washed my clothes, they were getting pretty rank anyways.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:18 am

I've been there, including the draining your bladder and touching a half dozen other places. Was planting trees in the spring and must have grabbed some dead stuff from the previous year. It's a special kind of self inflicted torcher.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:25 am

Wash your straps and put stuff out on the sun to dry the oil
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:20 am

Everything is drying right now! No need to take steroids, thankfully its cleared up down below and my hands are starting to heal!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:56 am

I'm glad that you are on the mend and shared your experience. Everybody seems to know about the plant but many don't know about the vine. The vine seems to be far more prevalent where I am.

Fortunately I am not super sensitive to it as some are.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:29 am

I was on the prednisone treatment 3 times this season. I don't wish that on anyone. I pretty much got it Every time I entered this one peice of public.
There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:40 am

Exact same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago! I've never had much issue with the leaf but I climbed a tree with vines and I broke out like never before. Had to take Pred. as well.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:12 am

I’d scrub everything down with dawn dish soap, treat every square inch of that stuff like your trying to scrub automotive grease off something. I carry dawn dish soap and that orange gritty soap like stuff that’s in shops in my truck and I scrub down possible contact areas when I get to the vehicle
Swamp_donkey

Unread postby Swamp_donkey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:30 pm

That's absolutely terrible. Use a good dish soap like dawn with hot water and scrub everything clean like it had axle grease on it. Works on humans too if you wash it off soon enough. Again so terrible, best of luck, hope you get rid of it all.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”