Mobile hunters...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Mobile hunters...

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Jonny wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:Curious about the high visibility steps. You guys don't use head lamps?

A bottle of white out. Paint the grooves in the steps.

If you are really adventurous, add some reflective glitter to it. Should do the trick.

I was thinking glow paint.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:A lot of great ideas. If Dan includes them all it will be a $1500 stand :lol:

No matter what he comes up with, there is no doubt individuals will probably need to modify it in some way to have exactly what they want....it's human nature.

Agreed. Great post.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:28 pm

I want to know about the platform teeth being the HB logo? Is this the plan? Anyone thats seen or used it have a issue w this?

One thing ill say about it that I dont carry the LW teeth up anymore bc I sure dont plan on having head injury in the field. The one pic iv seen of Dans stand looked deadly!

Am i just too cautious or overthinking this?
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:24 pm

My tip is cast the bow holder into both front corners. Whether you shoot right or left ,most people are setting towards a specific direction/expected movement. The arm/hand movement would be minimized and space in front is honestly better for feet than bow.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:29 pm

I have LW stand and sticks and haven't tried anything else so can't compare too much. But, as others have said, double top step is a must, factory installed stealth strips would be great, and a way to stack the sticks easier.

Ultimately Dan, we want as light weight as humanly possible, but a big platform and seat, easy to stack sticks and double steps at top, seat and platform leveler, better bow holder and please incorporate a quiver holder, better straps or rope for sticks, etc. oh, did I mention we want it super light as well? :lol: :lol:

Would love to see some pictures and or details of the current plans for Dans stand and sticks
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:06 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:Curious about the high visibility steps. You guys don't use head lamps?

I use a head lamp
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:20 pm

I also see the benefit in more visible steps. I think Dan is looking for any ideas that could be overlooked... especially if they don't add weight. Also he's probably not looking for a carbon copy of the lw stand and sticks so don't be afraid to type up ideas.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:28 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:A lot of great ideas. If Dan includes them all it will be a $1500 stand :lol:

No matter what he comes up with, there is no doubt individuals will probably need to modify it in some way to have exactly what they want....it's human nature.

Honestly - I would consider paying that for the right setup. Something like a titanium platform, seat, post and sticks. Total weight for stand AND sticks coming in at less than 10 pounds... I would write the check tomorrow. I'm not kidding. There's not many gimmicks I buy into from the hunting industry. But one thing I will pay a very heavy price for is cutting the weight.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:53 am

Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:

A bottle of white out. Paint the grooves in the steps.

If you are really adventurous, add some reflective glitter to it. Should do the trick.

I was thinking glow paint.

3M reflective tape is the perfect solution to high visibility steps on the sticks. I have had that on my sticks for fifteen years and its still going strong. I wrapped a thin strip around the recess closest to the step tip (so its visible no matter which orietation the step is in), and also put a square of reflective tape on the end cap of the stickpost. 3M tape is especially reflective with the modern LED headlamps available these days. I would think this could be an easy addition to Dan's sticks and could be marketed as extra safe for night time climbing.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:57 am

Nothing crazy keep it simple. Millenium style seat, Lone Wolf style platform, muddy style ropes for attaching. Those would be light quiet and sell like wildfire!!!
Earn what’s never given.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:42 am

Sticks that stack parallel to the stand. Keeps a lower profile and feels balanced better when the weight is close to my back...
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:26 pm

After using fixed double steps, I don't think I'll ever go back to anything else. They just flat out work and are easy to use. No more guessing which way to flip the steps and then changing your mind halfway up the tree. Fixed double steps are lighter than folding anyways. I wouldn't just put the double step on the top stick. How often are you actually standing on the top stick to hang the stand anyways? I'm usually at least one step down from the top.

One thing I think would be really interesting on the stick side is S, M, L sizing for the length. I can't imagine it would be very hard for a manufacturer to use 3 different cut-to-length tubing sizes to incorporate into the assembly. Then you can cover people who are 5'2" or 6'6" and not have to compromise spacing or safety.

I'm not sure what would be better than a cast aluminum stand platform unless a machined/water/laser cut platform could be made affordably. Extra strength allowing for greater material removal and therefore lower weight. And/or using a higher performance, stronger alloy.

Carbon fiber tube would be interesting for the post. Hammock style seat would be lightweight and more comfortable than cast aluminum. I've hunted enough from a saddle to know how comfortable a simple mesh/fabric sling can be.
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:56 pm

I currently use a Summit open shot climber. After reviewing and analyzing all my options, I am anxiously waiting to buy my first set of sticks and hang on stand...when Dan makes them available.

Stand: -basically a LW assault II that is lighter and better.

Less than 10 lbs- I will sacrifice comfort for extreme light weight.
Silent- stealth stripped or cast one piece construction.
Bat wing type bracket.
Self leveling.
Stronger, heavy duty versa button.
V bracket to accommodate both skinny AND large diameter trees.
Packable and compatible to mount sticks to for long walks into the swamp.
Heavy duty strap to attach with tree.
27" X 20"

Sticks:- basically a mix btw LW and helium sticks

Double step.
Lightweight- Less than 2lbs per stick.
Stealth stripped or just quiet as can be.
Able to do the rope mod with.
Able to put an aider on.

For something with all those features I would be willing to pay for it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Dan will put something out before next season. With all these black Friday sales, I would hate to hold out and be stuck in my summit next season.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:59 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:I want to know about the platform teeth being the HB logo? Is this the plan? Anyone thats seen or used it have a issue w this?

One thing ill say about it that I dont carry the LW teeth up anymore bc I sure dont plan on having head injury in the field. The one pic iv seen of Dans stand looked deadly!

Am i just too cautious or overthinking this?

I think it's a really good caution though slip and drive one into the back of your head could be deadly
Fireman324

Unread postby Fireman324 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:11 am

This is my first year as a mobile hunter and to The Hunting Beast so I may not have all the insight or knowledge others might. Thanks to Dan and All of you for the much needed help! I run the XOP Air Raid and XOP Sticks (Vanish was sold out). So----

Overall setup Weight is 29lbs with stand, sticks, and straps. Im young (33) and can handle it but its realistically to much...

Stand needs/wants:
comfortable seat
batwing
leveling system for seat and platform
stealth strips
way for sticks to attach to stand even though strapping the first stick tight to stand and stacking the XOP's works well.
kinda against the rope mod for the stand..... seems a touch unsafe.

Sticks:
some sort of stacking system (like where they lay on their side to decrease the weight extended off you back which can be somewhat tipy/off balanced when toting a small pack). I like the way the XOP's lock together. Could have a touch tighter fit but not bad.
rope mod would help with weight and strap length and I think its ok on the sticks vs the extended period of time the weight is on the stand.
lighter weight
length is fine and I'm a short and plump fella 5'8" 200lbs

I know Im not part of the 500 club but could Dan or anyone PM me some pics of his stand and sticks that he is working on? Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”