Mobile hunters...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jeff315131
Facebook: jeff315131

Re: Mobile hunters...

Unread postby jeff315131 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:46 am

Us older guys with bad backs cant hump in ladder stands any more and the lone wolf is still hard on the back for the long hikes. Cut as much weight as you can add better packing straps it does make a difference. As with others double step would be nice. I would pay about any price if I could have a set up with a total weight of 10 to 12 pounds. Come on Dan help an old broke man out.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 am

Double steps on the sticks for sure. And like others mentioned, make sure there’s plenty of toe room.

Also if it didn’t have platform leveling I wouldn’t buy it no matter how nice, light, comfortable and functional the rest of it is. 90% of the trees I set up in are crooked. A genius method for leveling the seat would be big time bonus points.

One complaint I have with my LW alpha is my heels drop through the squares on my platform once in a while. Love my LW but that’s super annoying.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:10 pm

Sticks: I use the muddy pro's so that will be my comparator. And I know some don't like them. The rope and cam attachment is quick, easy, and solid. Set a stick in one motion. Seems a lot easier to me than the typical strap with buckle on most other brands. I have not had any issues with them kicking out. Love the length but I could manage a slightly taller stick. They are approx 18" step to step. I'm sure I can reach 22" very comfortably but doubt much more than that, with "comfortably" being the key word. When you are bundled up it makes a difference. I can stretch further but why bother? 3 steps in 32" is not useful in my view. It's either 2 in ~20" or 3 in ~40" to be useful. They are too heavy and overbuilt, should be lighter. Love the double step and the gearing seems to make them very sound. They don't stack well because they don't click in to each other easily. That needs improvement. Sticks should click in together and stay put without the need for an additional strap.
Stand: I use a saddle primarily but when I do carry a stand it the millennium m100. And it's only because of the seat. I'll put up with all the negatives of that stand just for the comfort. So my only input would be if you can make a seat with back support without compromising your other goals then it would be very attractive.
Belt/Shoulder straps: my two cents is let people solve this on their own as everyone has their own preferred method of carry
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Discount for 500 club members :D

Others have captured any real thought guy's I had. Built in system for rope extenders maybe?

Also make sure to wear your harness ;) :lol:
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:46 pm

Sticks: 24 inch stich with two steps, 4 stick set, one stick being the top stick would have a double step. No need for all of them to have double steps. I think a curved step like xop has is good, I have slipped off the lone wolf steps with wet boots. I've never tried them but the muddy rope and cam buckle seems superior to buckles and versa button.

Stand: a platform sized between the alpha and assault with the bigger V like the alpha to grip the tree. Adjustable platform and seat. Web style sling seat like a hazmore - less weight and way more comfortable. Buckle and versa button on the stand to limit slide down the tree when setting it vs the rope and cam buckle. Ability to attach stick talons on the sides
Greenbriar

Unread postby Greenbriar » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Stand (my comments based from LW): I'd like to see a tri-fold design that reduces the vertical height on my back (while folded). A) For reducing the brush profile and B) my personal preferences in the climb. I imagine either wrapping the seat around the upright or a release that allows it to recess in a cutaway deck – I see potential weight reductions either way. If you maintain the versa system I'd really like to see the deck pattern designed to have open "points" (L/R- high) and (L/R- low) in the tread that allow a person to hook either side of the sticks (without the button) and draw them tight without wrapping under through the shoulder straps –small weight gain but easing the pack assembly and providing a quieter option for the straps in transport. I'm not a big fan of the versa but I do like the security on a stand. I don't mind the seat at all, I only use it as a quieting pad.

Sticks: A double-step option for the top or a swap out accessory. A factory engineered option for carrying half the sticks on the left and half the sticks on the right (see my "points" comment above). In theory I like the Muddy rope system, haven't tried it yet but I plan to. Lighter upright material?
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Tree stand - lone wolf is close
Taller seat height and a nicer seat. A lighterer assault 8lbs with a bigger v to tree. I prefer how the alpha cam locks with bigger v.

Sticks
I like double steps. Don't like bolts loosening - just terrible. Would rather have a rope over a buckle but not a big deal I'm pretty quiet with buckles weight savings would be nice.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Double step sticks are awesome. Been using them all season now and didn’t even realize what I was missing till now. Don’t think I could ever go back to single step LW’s. Lightweight is very important.

For a stand it needs to have a decent size platform and a comfortable seat. Lightweight is a definite plus so I realize both of those may need to be sacrificed a bit to accomplish that.

By far the most important thing for both is silence. Metal to metal noise should be eliminated right out of the box.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:13 pm

My tree stand/sticks christmas wish list...
-quiet out of the box..or sold with a pre fabbed stealth strips kit for consumer to apply

-total weight of stand and sticks should be less than 13lb.

-fixed, double stepped sticks....distance between steps either a custom order or a fully adjustable design so the customer can set 19", 21", 23" between steps with simple tools.

-both the stand and the sticks must lock rock solid to even 25 degree leaning trees

-need more adjustability of the stand seat and platform than is currently available with LW stands. I want to level a 25 degree leaning tree. (I have modded my LW assault to do just that and I would never give it up)

-If an Alpha sized stand can be made to fit these criteria, then I think an ultralight smaller version should also be designed to accomadate us weight geeks.

-I don't care about stackability of sticks, or integration of sticks with stand. It's a cute idea but I have always just layed the sticks on the stand and bungied them down....never had a noise issue. as long as the sticks are shorter than the stand there is no brush grabbing at the sticks in cover.

-rope system for sticks allows a guy to use longer ropes if desired. This is very useful when you have to climb that extra big tree. My LW straps limited me unless I remembered to carry extension straps.
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Stand, weight and size stand similar to original assault with a seat that can be quickly removed.
If I’m going in for a 3 or 4 hour sit a seat is not needed.
I just lean against the tree.

Two step stick, 20 or 22” spacing with double step at the top of at least one stick.
Hook or stop at the end of the steps to prevent slip off.
Tree bracket spaced out for bigger feet.
Price competitive with LW.
buckbane

Unread postby buckbane » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Millenium or hazmore style sling seat, built in footrests...
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:27 pm

A hang on with the comfort of a climber. I prefer the size of the alpha

Sticks deff double step

Now to have both with the muddy rope cam system be legit
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Sticks: Quiet, none, or minimal moving parts, customized step length so that I can gain height as optimally as possible (LW step stride is way too short), as lightweight as possible and also a low profile for walking thru brush and not getting caught on branches.

Stand: ease of hanging with just one strap or rope, adjustable for hanging in any tree, small profile for walking thru brush, lightweight. I would choose a lightweight seat over a comfortable seat for about 70% of my hunts. But if lightweight and comfortable seat were possible, man that would really be a selling point. The LW assault seat is barely bearable for an all day hunt. The problem isnt the padding but instead how close to the tree it is. Need to get further away from the tree (which I know usually means more weight in engineering terms)
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:51 pm

The seat is a big deal for me. I hunt out of the millenium M7 because it has the most comfortable and wide seat and it so lightweight its easier to hang for my weak arms.

Next, the stand should be as lightweight as possible. Platform does NOT have to be huge either.

The sticks, I like the muddy rope sticks, but they are a little heavy. I love the rope system though. Very easy to use and FAST to set up. They are one 20" , so they are not tall enough for my liking. I use 4 though to get me to 18'.

If the stand had something built in like the talons, where the sticks just snapped on... tHAT WOULD BE SWEET! I use bungee cords to attach my sticks to my stand but they are kind of a PITA.

I always dreamed of 3 sticks that once you attached the stick to the tree, it would extend up like an extension pole saw. They you could attach it to the tree higher up the stick. Bringing your stick count to 3, but IDK how strong and lightweight the sticks would end up being with a design like that.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:11 pm

I guess my main concern first and foremost is weight. 16-18lb range with 4-5 sticks and stand would be pretty sweet! I have an LW Assault there are only 2 things I would change about the stand itself. A more comfortable seat and the stand platform width being reduced an inch or 2. I would like to see it a little bit narrower so it didn't hang up on as much stuff while walking. I don't mind how the lone wolf sticks stack together but can't stand how 4 or 5 sticks sit so high on my back while stacked on the stands they seem to hang up on everything I try to go under. Back pack straps that have some padding would be a plus also.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”