Just curious...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Just curious...

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:45 am

Bedbug wrote:What about when high dollar outfitted hunts come into play?

Don't shoot me for asking :roll:

Respectful to anyone's choice of a hunt. just curious

Totally depends on the hunter. I try my best to be respectful to all hunters, but don't respect the guys who are full of themselves. I respect hunters who are honest and go out of there way to help others, give feedback and are good guys. Don't care one bit about how or where they shoot there deer.

For example, my cousin hunts. Shoots very nice bucks every year behind his house and next to a park in city limits. I am respectful to him because he is my cousin, and he is a hunter. However I do not respect him as a hunter one bit. Why? He thinks because he has a great wall, he is a great hunter, has nothing to learn and is above everybody. So, I don't talk hunting with him. I do offer a spot for gun season up in the big woods with me, but he just laughs "at the thought of hunting public land"

So again, all based on the hunter to me.

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:48 am

I will have to admit I do look WAY down on people who hunt high fence lol. Outfitted hunts? I'm just not sure why you would do that for whitetail unless it were like the desert or some huge area that you only had a few days to hunt. I wouldn't mind someone giving me pointers then. Same goes for hunting Elk and such in the mountains. I think I would still prefer the challenge of going on my own but I can see why people would want an outfitted hunt for that sort of thing.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:58 am

Around here some guys "look down" on you for killing a good buck in a different county. We have land in West Central WI, but live in more north. Last good buck I shot I had on the trailer when I stopped here in town on the way home at Kwik-trip. When I came out there were a 3 guys looking at it. First thing 2 of them said was. Nice buck, you didn't kill it around here. It wasn't a question, rather a statement. For the record, we have some really good bucks in our area and a lot of good public land. These guys said it with a tone that I've heard before. Especially when people find out I have land in one of the better counties of the state. That's interesting also as the last few years I have seen better bucks on my public spots up here;)
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:06 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Kraftd wrote:I think it's just fine to have personal thoughts on what makes a hunt harder or easier, as long as a sportsman you are respectful of anyone hunting legally and ethically.

All of this is so situational. It's not talking down to say that, pretty consistently, managed private is easier to hunt that public or even high pressure private. It's ok in my book to have those kind of conversations, again, done respectfully.

I also think some good natured regional "conflict" is ok, and natural. Like sports team allegiances. My experience with guys from the NE on the beast is there generally seems to be a little chip on the shoulder based on deer numbers and quality of bucks when compared to the midwest. Same with the south a little. They're probably more or less right. I think it's engaging with the guys on here. Most of us with some experience and a willingness to really try and lean and understand, have a pretty good feel for guys and hunts that get the nod of approval from a beast perspective and those that get a nice buck comment and maybe a little less enthusiastic response. I think the number of pages on some Kill Zone threads and the annual big buck contest results tend to show this a little.

Chip on the shoulder. Thats a great way of putting it.

Yea its situational. I get the comparison thing. We are wired to compare ourselves to others constantly. Its frankly part of natural selection and the drive to survive (basically by beating others). But what exists in deer hunting these days is kinda ridiculous.

I love the Beast. Sure there are still egos and comparisons, its natural, but compared to the freak show of egos and little man syndrome in social media and the hunting industry I think we are just fine....

It exists everywhere still. Public versus private. Deer age versus antler size. Anyone with a "hunting estate" versus everyone else. Outfitter versus DIY. Gun versus bow. Rut hunting versus other times of the year. Trad bow versus compound. We all are gonna have thoughts on these things myself included the key is not to be a knuckle dragging goon about it. That was kinda my angle with the first post.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
WV Bowhunter wrote:Not in your examples but I always get asked if I got him in West Virginia or Ohio. My Ohio bucks I’ve killed are perceived differently than my WV bucks. I guess since there are more big ones in Ohio people think that anyone can kill a nice one over there.

Probably happens in most border states where there is a difference in deer and how they are managed.

No kidding. Wow. Even bordering states. interesting.

Oh yea. Lots of guys from FL have GA leases. Don’t you try to pass no 130” GA deer as a FL buck. :naughty:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:44 am

I never experienced the comments between state. Probable because i only hunted in Minnesota. But,I get insulted by local hunters that think that my hunting land is better then theirs. and when I get a buck I here comments like "That it must be fun to hunt in a game farm." and " All the nice bucks are on your property." If my hunting properties were so great why am I still chewing on a tag sandwich? :? . The fact is that it takes a lot of work to get a nice buck . Lets just be happy for for other people success.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:48 am

JoeRE wrote:
I love the Beast. Sure there are still egos and comparisons, its natural, but compared to the freak show of egos and little man syndrome in social media and the hunting industry I think we are just fine....

What goes on here is how I remember things 15-20 years ago, and how it should be. Little good hearted ribbing and good conversation, but respect a the end of the day. Not much of that other places I talk hunting anymore.
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:02 am

Kraftd wrote:
JoeRE wrote:

What goes on here is how I remember things 15-20 years ago, and how it should be. Little good hearted ribbing and good conversation, but respect a the end of the day. Not much of that other places I talk hunting anymore.

Yup. This is the only place I talk hunting online. Glad there is a corner of the internet for the good ol' boys.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:08 am

Here's my viewpoint, get a helmet and hang on folks...

Whether it's different states or methods of hunting I think it's an odds debate no matter how you slice.

Firearms is better than compound bow
Single stringers are better than a knife
A knife is better than you bare hands

Wisconsin is better than NH or ratherMaine to appease the OP;) :mrgreen:
Food plots are better than browse
Baiting is better than browse
Keeping in mind I'm using odds here...

Have a honey hole to yourself or maybe a fenced hunt or maybe a guided hunt is better than struggling on overrun limited public
High deer/sq mi are better than lower...

Bottom line is if you haven't killed a deer with your bare hands or a knife I think yer yellow! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!

I have killed a deer with a knife! I am the great White Bwanna Baby! AND in NH - GO FISH!!! :whistle:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:25 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Here's my viewpoint, get a helmet and hang on folks...

Whether it's different states or methods of hunting I think it's an odds debate no matter how you slice.

Firearms is better than compound bow
Single stringers are better than a knife
A knife is better than you bare hands

Wisconsin is better than NH or ratherMaine to appease the OP;) :mrgreen:
Food plots are better than browse
Baiting is better than browse
Keeping in mind I'm using odds here...

Have a honey hole to yourself or maybe a fenced hunt or maybe a guided hunt is better than struggling on overrun limited public
High deer/sq mi are better than lower...

Bottom line is if you haven't killed a deer with your bare hands or a knife I think yer yellow! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!

I have killed a deer with a knife! I am the great White Bwanna Baby! AND in NH - GO FISH!!! :whistle:

I killed a deer with a knife while wearing a loin cloth.

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it. :whistle:

True story......except for the loin cloth. :lol:
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:18 am

Thinking about this thread,, I do have that one jelous friend. If I get one & he doesn't its holy talking to him. You can tell he is pissed cause I did ok & he didn't get one. If I get a bigger one he will stop calling. I basically stopped hunting with him or telling him what I do. Same guy always preaching about let m go so they can grow & guess what. First 4 pointer down the path he shoots it. Its fine w/ me, shoot what you want, just don't preach to me. Mike
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:23 am

mspaci wrote:Thinking about this thread,, I do have that one jelous friend. If I get one & he doesn't its holy talking to him. You can tell he is pissed cause I did ok & he didn't get one. If I get a bigger one he will stop calling. I basically stopped hunting with him or telling him what I do. Same guy always preaching about let m go so they can grow & guess what. First 4 pointer down the path he shoots it. Its fine w/ me, shoot what you want, just don't preach to me. Mike

Those are the worst kind. I distance myself from people like this. That negativity is something I want no part of. A true friend will always be happy when your succesful and help to pick you up and keep you positive in the low times. Works both ways too don’t forget.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:44 am

PK_ wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
WV Bowhunter wrote:Not in your examples but I always get asked if I got him in West Virginia or Ohio. My Ohio bucks I’ve killed are perceived differently than my WV bucks. I guess since there are more big ones in Ohio people think that anyone can kill a nice one over there.

Probably happens in most border states where there is a difference in deer and how they are managed.

No kidding. Wow. Even bordering states. interesting.

Oh yea. Lots of guys from FL have GA leases. Don’t you try to pass no 130” GA deer as a FL buck. :naughty:

Yes sir.. I only want to see a Michigan guys Michigan bucks.. The rest ....... eh. And don't bring some out of state buck to a buck pole either.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:30 am

What I think about others is situational. If I know you worked hard for the buck and it's a great buck for that area I am happy for you. If you didn't earn it or it's only a decent buck AND you have a great area to hunt I am not as is excited for you though I will congratulate you. Trophys are earned not given. I suppose we should all find enjoyment and success on our own terms. I have hunted ks, indiana, Ohio and Michigan. Some states are in fact easier but not easy to kill bigger bucks.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Dewey wrote:
mspaci wrote:Thinking about this thread,, I do have that one jelous friend. If I get one & he doesn't its holy talking to him. You can tell he is pissed cause I did ok & he didn't get one. If I get a bigger one he will stop calling. I basically stopped hunting with him or telling him what I do. Same guy always preaching about let m go so they can grow & guess what. First 4 pointer down the path he shoots it. Its fine w/ me, shoot what you want, just don't preach to me. Mike

Those are the worst kind. I distance myself from people like this. That negativity is something I want no part of. A true friend will always be happy when your succesful and help to pick you up and keep you positive in the low times. Works both ways too don’t forget.

Dewey, thats exactly what I have done, you are 100% correct. This is supposed to be fun right. Hunting mostly alone now & occasionally with a friend from work. We have fun, no compete, or jelousy. Having a much better time now. He helped me with my buck dragging. He wasnt in the woods that day & when I called he came to help, & I went to meet him when he got one to help, both really pumped for the other guy. He is kind of a new hunter & I was more pumped for him than for my own, Thats how it is supposed to be. Mike

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”