Doe Bedding And The Rut.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Doe Bedding And The Rut.

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:45 am

Good stuff Stan.

After hanging a cam in the doe bedding in my rut grove the last three years it has become incredibly obvious how powerful doe bedding is during rut.

I get pics of does moving about and browsing at all hours of the day. I get pics of bucks cruising at all hours of the day (obviously most are at night with big spikes in movement near dawn and dusk).

The thing about it is I always have cams on the other end of the grove at the same time. They’re usually 250 yards away in a 100x300 yard farm grove. I’ve seen it time and time again... the other cams show moderate activity and the bedding cam can be on fire.

Because of this I’m always going to set up in or as close as possible to doe bedding areas during rut. It goes back to the spokes on the wheel theory. The further away you are, the more likely a buck is to take the wrong trail.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:58 am

Lockdown wrote:Good stuff Stan.

After hanging a cam in the doe bedding in my rut grove the last three years it has become incredibly obvious how powerful doe bedding is during rut.

I get pics of does moving about and browsing at all hours of the day. I get pics of bucks cruising at all hours of the day (obviously most are at night with big spikes in movement near dawn and dusk).

The thing about it is I always have cams on the other end of the grove at the same time. They’re usually 250 yards away in a 100x300 yard farm grove. I’ve seen it time and time again... the other cams show moderate activity and the bedding cam can be on fire.

Because of this I’m always going to set up in or as close as possible to doe bedding areas during rut. It goes back to the spokes on the wheel theory. The further away you are, the more likely a buck is to take the wrong trail.

I agree 100% bedding is the absolute best starting point.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:24 am

Stanley - is this high pressured land? I seldom see mature bucks hitting any bedding areas on the high pressured land I hunt without some consideration of wind? And my trail cameras have revealed to me the single best time to catch an old buck approaching doe bedding is around 9:00-11:00 AM. While I get pics during the rut from all times - the late morning consistently reveals more activity by the more mature animals. Early afternoon - 2:00-4:00 shows me the second highest activity during the rut. Any correlation you have seen for high pressured ground? On private ground I've hunted (less pressure) activity peaks around traditional sunrise/sunset times.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:42 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:Stanley - is this high pressured land? I seldom see mature bucks hitting any bedding areas on the high pressured land I hunt without some consideration of wind? And my trail cameras have revealed to me the single best time to catch an old buck approaching doe bedding is around 9:00-11:00 AM. While I get pics during the rut from all times - the late morning consistently reveals more activity by the more mature animals. Early afternoon - 2:00-4:00 shows me the second highest activity during the rut. Any correlation you have seen for high pressured ground? On private ground I've hunted (less pressure) activity peaks around traditional sunrise/sunset times.

I hunt both high and relitively no pressured lands here in Tx and my observations match exactly what u mentioned. That 9-11 slot is by far the most productive for the older age class.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:56 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:Stanley - is this high pressured land? I seldom see mature bucks hitting any bedding areas on the high pressured land I hunt without some consideration of wind? And my trail cameras have revealed to me the single best time to catch an old buck approaching doe bedding is around 9:00-11:00 AM. While I get pics during the rut from all times - the late morning consistently reveals more activity by the more mature animals. Early afternoon - 2:00-4:00 shows me the second highest activity during the rut. Any correlation you have seen for high pressured ground? On private ground I've hunted (less pressure) activity peaks around traditional sunrise/sunset times.

I think the biggest reason we see more buck activity in doe bedding areas during the rut, around 9 -11 AM is because that is when the does are mostly back from night time feeding. Bucks go into doe bedding areas, when the does are bedded. No matter how much pressure an area has the does/bucks will always bed in the best spots.

The 2-4 PM time frame is about right because the does start filtering out to feed /browse at around 4 PM. There is less reason for a buck to go into an empty bedding area. I don't hunt any properties that I have sole permission to hunt. So I'm less familiar with pristine ground. This property is owned and hunted by the owner and his son. It is 115 acres not very big at all for 3 hunters. I am lucky he lets me hunt, as he and his son are a hard hunters.

I think the biggest difference in private and public ground is the difference in respect hunters show. If I acted like a lot of slob hunters do on public, I wouldn't have any private ground to hunt. That said the only thing I leave on private or public ground is foot prints. :think:
If the owner of the 115 acres was a slob hunter it wouldn't be much good to hunt. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Stanley wrote:

I think the biggest reason we see more buck activity in doe bedding areas during the rut, around 9 -11 AM is because that is when the does are mostly back from night time feeding. Bucks go into doe bedding areas, when the does are bedded. No matter how much pressure an area has the does/bucks will always bed in the best spots.

The 2-4 PM time frame is about right because the does start filtering out to feed /browse at around 4 PM. There is less reason for a buck to go into an empty bedding area. I don't hunt any properties that I have sole permission to hunt. So I'm less familiar with pristine ground. This property is owned and hunted by the owner and his son. It is 115 acres not very big at all for 3 hunters. I am lucky he lets me hunt, as he and his son are a hard hunters.

I think the biggest difference in private and public ground is the difference in respect hunters show. If I acted like a lot of slob hunters do on public, I wouldn't have any private ground to hunt. That said the only thing I leave on private or public ground is foot prints. :think:
If the owner of the 115 acres was a slob hunter it wouldn't be much good to hunt. :think:

That's always been my theory.... that's the times they know the does are bedded. I stl shake my head that people leave their stands, especially if they are confident in their location, in late morning.

Agree with slob hunters..... I see trash all over the place on public land. Getting permission on private just doesn't happen down here unless you are family or lease it.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:35 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
Stanley wrote:

That's always been my theory.... that's the times they know the does are bedded. I stl shake my head that people leave their stands, especially if they are confident in their location, in late morning.

Agree with slob hunters..... I see trash all over the place on public land. Getting permission on private just doesn't happen down here unless you are family or lease it.

I think a lot of that has to do with guys getting into the stands well before first light. They mismanage their time, by sitting in the dark when you can't hunt. I hear/see it all the time. By the time the does are back to bed, the hunters are cold, hungry and tired from 4 hrs in the stand. Plus it is cool to see day break. :think:
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:01 am

Very cool pictures :clap:
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:52 am

Stanley wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
Stanley wrote:

I think a lot of that has to do with guys getting into the stands well before first light. They mismanage their time, by sitting in the dark when you can't hunt. I hear/see it all the time. By the time the does are back to bed, the hunters are cold, hungry and tired from 4 hrs in the stand. Plus it is cool to see day break. :think:

Excellent point. So what time do you get into stand? I would love to get in at 7:30 or so and sitting mid afternoon but I feel like I would miss something at first lite. I also hate walking through the woods once day breaks as I feel like deer might be on their feet and I would get busted. I’ve seen quite a few bucks moving through at 7-730. I’m good on not getting hungry. I can go quite a while without food. Cold is another story but I deal with it. Boredom is my worst problem. If I’m not seeing deer I lose focus after 3-4 hrs and get ansy
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:55 am

checkerfred wrote:
Stanley wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
Stanley wrote:

Excellent point. So what time do you get into stand? I would love to get in at 7:30 or so and sitting mid afternoon but I feel like I would miss something at first lite. I also hate walking through the woods once day breaks as I feel like deer might be on their feet and I would get busted. I’ve seen quite a few bucks moving through at 7-730. I’m good on not getting hungry. I can go quite a while without food. Cold is another story but I deal with it. Boredom is my worst problem. If I’m not seeing deer I lose focus after 3-4 hrs and get ansy

I hunt a lot from 10:00 AM until dark during the rut. That way you can sleep in, eat some brunch, take a dump, and your good to go for the day.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:03 am

I hunt a lot from 10:00 AM until dark during the rut. That way you can sleep in, eat some brunch, take a dump, and your good to go for the day.

Me as well, #2 is number one in my book. My knees are to weak to have a proper.... :whistle:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:19 am

I have had 2 cams on doe bedding areas this year and have seen similar things. They are definitely the place to be during the rut. And late morning 10-2 is definitely best time to be there. And I don't see any patterns with relation to wind direction, but most of the bucks in the mountains I hunt seem to be checking visually as the wind and exact bedding sites are highly variable.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:40 am

Stanley wrote:take a dump, and your good to go for the day.

Haha nice. No better reason than that
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:49 am

checkerfred wrote:

Nothing worse than getting all set up and then you got to go back down.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Stanley wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

Nothing worse than getting all set up and then you got to go back down.

Another reason to ground hunt hahaa

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”