Getting shined after success in the parking lot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckinator

Getting shined after success in the parking lot

Unread postby Buckinator » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:23 am

So I had my first success this year gun hunting.
I went home, got my dad and friend to help with the drag.
Going into the parking lot a truck pulled in shortly after and waited 10mins..and then drove off.
The road coming out of the parking lot takes a hard right. Pulling out of the lot and where the road turns there was the truck that pulled in and faced my truck on the turn. He shined me with his bights, it was about 8pm, and I had my big buck hanging in the back. No doubt they saw it. But i was like WTF, blinded and almost drove off in the ditch.

You think guys come to the lots to see if anyone drags anything out?
It just wierds me out and its got me paranoid. Maybe next time ill wrap it in a tarp and try to conceal it more.

Do you guys go to any extent to try conceal it when you bag a buck so nobody can see it or tell? thoughts

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Getting shined after success in the parking lot

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:36 am

YES...always conceal! As the owner of this sight has said, "Loose lips..."

I have been involved in many covert operations 8-) . I don't want any witnesses of any nice bucks I shoot.

I usually drag-em close to the ditch, then one guy stays with the deer. And the other gets the truck and waits for no traffic, then we do a quik grab & scoot!

Three trucks in a parking lot, 2 hours after season is over is a dead give away to something going on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:45 am

Yup. I try to avoid the parking lots if I can. Drag to a ditch, call someone you trust, throw it in his truck and leave. Do it quickly.
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:55 am

I'll never make that mistake again. Be just as covert after the Kill.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:58 am

Yep. always conceal it. That is another reason where gutless method and packing out is great. Pack the meat out and when the coast is clear bring the head/cape out quickly and take off.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:00 am

Sometimes it's just gonna happen... I get most out with out people ever having a clue. Other times I run into people on the drag out. This year I really tipped my hand cause I shot one of my bucks within earshot of a couple guys n they now know right where I killed him.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:04 am

Concealing a kill is extremely important especially if you get multiple kills out of the same general area over the years. I never gut them out where I kill them. I bury my gut piles in leaves, cattails or marsh grass if I can. Also use a sled or other means that leaves no bloody drag marks on the way out. I want to leave zero trace that I was there. Loading in the truck can get dicey at times if shot earlier in the day. I like to avoid having other hunters see a buck I killed because then the questions begin and I hate answering them. Like mentioned getting them in the truck is a covert operation. I will wait for traffic to pass to avoid nosey people. After loading and vacating the area it’s a big relief. Sounds like a whole lot of paranoia but I have seen firsthand the way people flock to an area after word gets out a good buck was killed. It’s all part of hunting pressured public land.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:06 am

burkhart wrote:This is why I take my hybrid hunting. No one gives a guy who drives a hybrid credit :)

:lol: :lol: No doubt man! :handgestures-thumbupright:
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:28 am

Gotta be a ghost 8-) doing it alone adds to the fun
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:32 am

burkhart wrote:This is why I take my hybrid hunting. No one gives a guy who drives a hybrid credit :)

Im thinking of getting a hybrid, burk, they make those in a 3/4 ton?

My first thought was I don't care who sees me, then just last week did a incognito drag and quick load and go down the road from a parking spot on a public doe I shot. So guess Im paranoid too
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:35 am

I have people slowly drive by my parked car all the time. Why they do this? I dunno. Sometimes people will go down the road, turn around and slow down as they drive by again. I don't know them so I don't have to trust them.

I will wait until the coast is clear before loading a kill in the trunk. Then Im outta there. Not trace left behind.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:54 am

This is all really good stuff to know. And obvious now that I think about it. I feel so stupid now.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:02 pm

I agree with everyone. I go out of my way to conceal my buck kills. Even if that means dragging out at 10pm.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:14 pm

This year durin gun, our group got a couple does and my buck. There were cars in the parking lot. We loaded them all up in the trucks quick, shut the truck topper lids and stood there. Other guys were arriving to hunt. There was also a bunch of duck hunters. They asked dan and I how we did. We told em "pretty slow out there" :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Jeff G wrote:This year durin gun, our group got a couple does and my buck. There were cars in the parking lot. We loaded them all up in the trucks quick, shut the truck topper lids and stood there. Other guys were arriving to hunt. There was also a bunch of duck hunters. They asked dan and I how we did. We told em "pretty slow out there" :lol:

I have done that before. All while hoping they didn’t see blood on my hands or my boots. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”