hog vs. deer beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jbone23

hog vs. deer beds

Unread postby jbone23 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Whats the best way to tell the difference between hog and deer bedding? Found a couple of beds in the marsh with no hair seem like they are deer beds. Found deer sign close by but hog sign is everywhere so hard to tell.

Ragingun

Re: hog vs. deer beds

Unread postby Ragingun » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:05 pm

jbone23 wrote:Whats the best way to tell the difference between hog and deer bedding? Found a couple of beds in the marsh with no hair seem like they are deer beds. Found deer sign close by but hog sign is everywhere so hard to tell.

Don’t know much about hogs but I don’t think they use repeat beds however I could be wrong.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:16 pm

In my experience, hogs most often turn up the dirt when they bed. Almost like creating a wallow but with varying degrees depending on the soil content and temperature. I’ve only seen so many worn to the dirt buck beds and you can tell the difference in wearing through the material above the dirt and dirt being turned up from underneath and pushed outward. Old solitary boars bed in similar spots that bucks do but not normally in the exact same beds. Hogs have poor vision so their beds tend to be in cover that doesn’t utilize sight like a buck will.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:31 pm

If I remember I will post a pic of a hog bed, there not even close for one u can tell by the length. But hog beds are dug out, there tracks are round like a horse shoe and its rooted up all around. Plus there are generally a bunch of em all around in my area.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:26 pm

Double post
Last edited by checkerfred on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:If I remember I will post a pic of a hog bed, there not even close for one u can tell by the length. But hog beds are dug out, there tracks are round like a horse shoe and its rooted up all around. Plus there are generally a bunch of em all around in my area.

I found a group of large beds once that I thought was a buck. The only way I could tell is by the hair. Really wirey and had diff colors in each bed. Some solid black. No rooting nearby for 1/2 a mile either. It can be harder when deer are nearby. I’ve also seen them bed like mentioned up above in some pines on a ridge bench. They were more round and wallered up. I’ve also seen boars bed just like a mature buck. I found beds that was the same hog. Then I’ve seen them bedding like a buck but in real thick cover on a ridge point. Also watch out for rubs. Some have mud on them but I’ve seen some that didn’t and I’m almost certain it was a hog. They will rub all the way around a tree too
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Wannabelikedan wrote:In my experience, hogs most often turn up the dirt when they bed. Almost like creating a wallow but with varying degrees depending on the soil content and temperature. I’ve only seen so many worn to the dirt buck beds and you can tell the difference in wearing through the material above the dirt and dirt being turned up from underneath and pushed outward. Old solitary boars bed in similar spots that bucks do but not normally in the exact same beds. Hogs have poor vision so their beds tend to be in cover that doesn’t utilize sight like a buck will.

Pretty much nailed it.

I do find the hogs bedding in the same areas as bucks (swamp points, edges near water) but, they usually leave more of a mark. I have found areas with buck beds further down a point in deeper water past the hog bedding areas though. Look for mud rubbed on trees knee to waist high, rooting, poop its usually pretty obvious. I've also saw where the hogs actually make sort of a "nest" with surrounding grass and brush. I really need to take a picture next time I run across one. I find unless your baiting, the hogs are pretty nomadic and will not stay in the same area very long. Which is why you always hear the guys with feeders up complaining of them.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:47 am

Here’s some hog beds. I jumped three here while walking this ridge. I just had found a nice rub and thought there might be a buck nearby. This was a bench on the 1/3 elevation. I’m sure the rub was a buck but prob left the area due to the hogs

You can see how they’re more circular and they bedded like does do in a group. The boar beds I’ve found have been very very similar to buck bedding in ridges. Matter of fact the only diff has been I found wirey black hair instead of brown or white hair.
jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks for the info. Thinking they were mostly hog beds. No hog sign in or within 20 yards of it and a rub leading to it. But more than likely hogs. Bed was in a lil nub jutting off an island in the marsh. Overun with hogs noticed a lot of hog bedding areas in what prob once was buck bedding.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:34 pm

do yourself a favor and kill them all before they overrun your state too!
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Twenty Up wrote:do yourself a favor and kill them all before they overrun your state too!

Yep whack em and stack em. No limit and I'm not certain of this, but was told wanton waste doesn't apply to hogs in FL. We have certainly killed our fair share, but I always had people that would take them off my hands.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”