Becoming the hunted

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Double Draw

Becoming the hunted

Unread postby Double Draw » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:41 am

Last Friday, my last chance to hunt the rifle season in PA, I hiked into the farthest point in the public swamp I hunt. I was 300 yards from private and chose a tree 30 yards off of a wide, grassy swale hoping to catch a cruising buck. I got my tree stand into the 8" maple I selected and had my rifle halfway up to me when 5 does followed by a spike trotted by directly downwind of me. They knew something was up but did not spook. (Must have been my can't miss scent kill plan...tossing excess milkweed their way to clog the pores in their noses! :lol: ) I had 3 doe tags in my pocket and could have had any of them if my rifle was in hand as they stopped one at a time to look my way, then trot on. 30 seconds after the buck passed out of sight a shot rang out, then a 2nd. That shot I heard the bullet hit branches above me. I instinctively ducked behind the tree on my platform as a third shot rang out. The bullet hit the tree I was in. I looked for the exact location later but could not find it. I did feel the vibration of the bullet hitting the maple. I hadn't seen anyone to this point. A moment later a young man comes into view, sees me (I had the binos on him) and hightails it out of there. I can only assume it was a private land guy who had wandered onto the public and they pretty much have the place to themselves and maybe get sloppy with safety. There were no other cars on either side of the swamp area. My friend said I should have yelled as soon as the bullets starting raining my way. Sadly, I didn't want to mess up a trophy buck spot. Guess those spots are useless to you if you're dead. What would you have done? Anyone else have close calls with other hunter fire?

JakeB
500 Club

Re: Becoming the hunted

Unread postby JakeB » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:29 am

Wow that was a close call! Pretty sure I would have let that guy know I was there midway through the first shot!

Were you wearing any orange???
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:46 am

Both shots hit the tree you were in? Man, that is hard to do unless they were shooting at you, thinking you were a deer. Hard to say what I would have done. I know I wouldnt have been happy
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:47 am

Double Draw wrote:They knew something was up but did not spook. (Must have been my can't miss scent kill plan...tossing excess milkweed their way to clog the pores in their noses! :lol: )

:lol: :handgestures-thumbupright:
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 am

JakeB wrote:Wow that was a close call! Pretty sure I would have let that guy know I was there midway through the first shot!

Were you wearing any orange???

I was covered in orange. Orange insulated coveralls and an orange hat. I was orange from head to toe. It happened so quickly that the three shots seemed impossibly close. In fact, my friend wondered if they were using a semi-auto.
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:40 am

I'd like to say that I would have yelled or have done something to draw their attention but honestly I probably would have taken cover behind the tree as well.

Just another reason to hate PA rifle season. It really can be dangerous out there. Especially knowing all the knuckleheads in the woods have high powered rifles. It's pretty scary when reading some absurdly idiotic posts and people on various PA hunting chats and they are sharing the same woods as you. That is why I try and do my freezer-filling in flintlock/late archery.
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:07 am

Story sounds fishy...

If true I'd have called the law, not told a friend or posted on the internet first.
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:00 am

sureshotscott wrote:Story sounds fishy...

If true I'd have called the law, not told a friend or posted on the internet first.

One of the things I appreciate about the HB forum is that, while people may passionately share their opinions and disagree with one another, I do not see bashing or people questionin people's integrity. I assure you all I wrote above is factual. The problem with going to the Game Commission is that they would most likely take a statement and it would end there. If they did an investigation it would be time consuming and tedious from my end. As a small business owner who has dealt with criminal behavior resulting in me testifying in court and losing more time and $ than it was worth I have a tendancy to shy away from law enforcement involvement unless it is really big.
Btw, if I have to make up a story as I wrote above, pity me for not having a life. On the contrary, I come here to learn. I simply was asking for advice and to make others aware of possible situations.
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:04 am

Tempy wrote:I'd like to say that I would have yelled or have done something to draw their attention but honestly I probably would have taken cover behind the tree as well.

Just another reason to hate PA rifle season. It really can be dangerous out there. Especially knowing all the knuckleheads in the woods have high powered rifles. It's pretty scary when reading some absurdly idiotic posts and people on various PA hunting chats and they are sharing the same woods as you. That is why I try and do my freezer-filling in flintlock/late archery.

Yeah, I prefer archery and muzzleloader season but do hunt remote public places during rifle. I think that's why this situation caught me off guard. I didn't think anyone would be in the area bc of the required hike.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:10 am

glad you were not hurt, had something similar happen when I was a teenager, Mike
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:22 am

Something isn't passing the smell test here. What kind of deer hunter shoots up into trees? Anyone ever see a whitetail up in a maple... Me neither.
One of three things happened here. The OP was mistaken about taking fire. The suspect was intentionally shooting at or above him, or the story is not entirely accurate as told. I don't see how anyone could shoot up into the same tree multiple times with a rifle while hunting an animal that lives on the ground. Or even if just target shooting..
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:39 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:Something isn't passing the smell test here. What kind of deer hunter shoots up into trees? Anyone ever see a whitetail up in a maple... Me neither.
One of three things happened here. The OP was mistaken about taking fire. The suspect was intentionally shooting at or above him, or the story is not entirely accurate as told. I don't see how anyone could shoot up into the same tree multiple times with a rifle while hunting an animal that lives on the ground. Or even if just target shooting..

I don't think they were shooting at me on purpose. They were considerably lower in elevaton than me which I believe accounts for the high shot for where I was. I think it was a classic case of not being sure what is behind your target. If my assumption is right that these were private land guys I think they git sloppy bc next to no one hunts that far back in. I assure I was not and am not mistaken about what happened.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:50 am

Why wouldnt it be accurate? And Pennsylvania is mountains so the guy or person shooting could have been down in a draw or calley shooting up the mountain (which is stupid not knowing your target) and man ive been there its why i dont duck hunt or deer hunt shotgun season anymore back in jersey. We called shotgun week idiot week when all the drunk hungover idiots come out and drive every inch of public property
They shoot everything that moves too
Well my friend i believe your story and just learn from it and just think how lucky you were not getting shot.
There are some real idiots oht there and i agree if someone is being stupid or unsafe somthing should be said asp to that idiot
Just my opinion. Stay safe my brothas Hint like a beast
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:10 am

Wow, that is a scary story! I've been hit by shotgun pellets and had a bullet hit the dirt about 20 yards in front of me, but never that close. Not sure what I would have done, but glad you're ok.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:44 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Why wouldnt it be accurate? And Pennsylvania is mountains so the guy or person shooting could have been down in a draw or calley shooting up the mountain (which is stupid not knowing your target) and man ive been there its why i dont duck hunt or deer hunt shotgun season anymore back in jersey. We called shotgun week idiot week when all the drunk hungover idiots come out and drive every inch of public property
They shoot everything that moves too
Well my friend i believe your story and just learn from it and just think how lucky you were not getting shot.
There are some real idiots oht there and i agree if someone is being stupid or unsafe somthing should be said asp to that idiot
Just my opinion. Stay safe my brothas Hint like a beast

Double Draw wrote:Last Friday, my last chance to hunt the rifle season in PA, I hiked into the farthest point in the public swamp I hunt. I was 300 yards from private.......

OP said he was in a swamp... That would imply it's not mountainous terrain. Therefor that would presume mostly level terrain absent steep changes in elevation. But he's since clarified so it makes more sense?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”