Thoughts on mature bucks on bait

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JAK
500 Club

Re: Thoughts on mature bucks on bait

Unread postby JAK » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:40 pm

A guy I work with throws bait out late season hunts it with in the first week moves on to new spot untill he kills one. He's done pretty well doing that

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:07 pm

I know a few guys in Michigan who have killed multiple big bucks over bait. All was on private property on small pieces of land. All were during the rut also. Seemed like a small window of opportunity they had to get it done. Bill vale has some good baiting strategies in his book. He has a wall full of big bucks from Michigan. There is a well known member on here who used bait to attract does. He killed nice bucks by rut beds where they would lay and wait near the bait for does. I’m basically doing the same thing with food plots on my small 23 acres to keep does around.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:42 pm

ERICBROOKS wrote:Hunting over bait and beast style hunting are complete opposites.
This topic belongs on AT.
That’s my thoughts on it.

Putting a person down because he asks a question is definitely not Beast style but definitely does belong on AT!

It’s fine for a guy to say he doesn’t see it as an ethical way to hunt for himself or that he wouldn’t do it. However you don’t know they guy’s situation. For all we know he could be in a wheelchair. To say he can’t ask a question is just totally wrong.

My apologies if I am being harsh. It’s getting close to the end of the season and I am not happy about it.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:24 pm

oldrank wrote:Baiting works if done correctly. Michigan is the baiting capital of the world. When I used to bait I would see mature bucks during 3 distinct time of the season.

Early season.. right when season opens and the deer are not spooked.

Rut before gun season... Bucks seem to get stupid and come right in. Or they come in following does.

Late season with heavy snow.... They have to eat and after rut they are worn down. A quick easy meal conserves energy.

Those periods are small windows in the season but were pretty consistent. I had to hunt very high. I'm talking 25 ft plus. Your stand site has to be set with some thought. What is predominant wind? How will the deer come in? Where are they bedding?

I have also notice if the bait is right next to bedding it never gets hit as well. I focused more on bullet proof setups a few hundred yards from bedding.

I also always had a 3 day rule. Dump bait hunt on third day. They will pattern you fast. Keeping the spot fresh is key. Multiple sight for different winds. I also noticed they don't mind ground scent that much, but get busted in the tree n your done

I haven't hunted that way in probably 12-15 yrs. It takes alot of time and effort to keep up with it, plus money. I find that effort is better spent hunting and scouting. I am a far better hunter since I left the bait pile...

Interesting observations and i am also a fellow Michigan. One of my 'experiments' this year was to bait deer behind my house. I own 4 acres and the back 3 is huntable. My neighbor 200 yards to the west baits heavily starting well before the season begins and into the season. His kids killed 3 deer over his bait pile this year in the first two weeks of october. I started to bait as soon as the season began and had zero day time sightings over it. I moved a trail cam closer to the primary travel corridor and my suspicions were confirmed that 99% of the activity to and from the bait pile was at night. I had a small uptick in daytime movement during the rut from 1.5 yr old bucks and a couple of random does. I have been playing with frequency of baiting, baiting during different weather conditions, and applying various scent control tactics while baiting.

My conclusion is this: baiting makes deer nocturnal. I have thousands of trail cam pictures of totally nocturnal deer to confirm this. Though it does keep them bedded relatively close.

I feel like I would have been better off not having wasted a dime on bait this year, though we still have a few weeks left in the season.

FWIW I have *never* hunted over bait nor killed any of my deer over bait until this year. It just wasn't something I ever had the wherewithal or inclination to do. I only experimented with it this year because I had a place where I could easily apply baiting tactics. I'm with you though: Your time and money is better spent scouting.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:18 pm

This isnt buck specific but this is a great thread to share it. I love Raglin and he nails this one IMO
https://youtu.be/iZw_ep230vg
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:21 pm

I agree with others and have noticed big bucks are nocturnal to bait sites along with old does.

Rut does bring big bucks near the bait to scent check for does.

I never noticed big buck movement to bait late in season personally, and always wondered why.

With all the above said I have heard from friends, co-workers, etc. who have seen the opposite effect with bait and had big bucks come in during daylight. There are always exceptions to rules with big bucks, that's what makes them so challenging...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 pm

The few times I baited, the deer all seemed so skidish. I never really cared for it. I never shot a deer off the bait pile. Maybe I just didn't know what I was doing??? I have relatives in the UP, and they did it for years, and shot a bunch of deer. I could care less how other decide to hunt deer. I have enough problems worrying about how I'm gonna kill a deer this year!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:31 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
ERICBROOKS wrote:Hunting over bait and beast style hunting are complete opposites.
This topic belongs on AT.
That’s my thoughts on it.

Putting a person down because he asks a question is definitely not Beast style but definitely does belong on AT!

It’s fine for a guy to say he doesn’t see it as an ethical way to hunt for himself or that he wouldn’t do it. However you don’t know they guy’s situation. For all we know he could be in a wheelchair. To say he can’t ask a question is just totally wrong.

My apologies if I am being harsh. It’s getting close to the end of the season and I am not happy about it.

Thanks my brotha
Theres always one no matter where you go lol
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:This isnt buck specific but this is a great thread to share it. I love Raglin and he nails this one IMO
https://youtu.be/iZw_ep230vg

Lmao i love rodger and thanks for the video but omg thats 3 minutes i will never have back
No offense of course my friend. Lol
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:01 am

It works for does. They are nailing corn in daylight right now due to cold and snow.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:10 am

There is a pretty good chapter in one of eberhardts books about baiting....what the deer do, why it isn’t a great tactic and how to hunt around others that do bait. I’ll have to reread it and post a summary of it.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:29 am

Different strokes for different folks. If you are proud of shooting a big buck over bait with a rifle or a fawn with a recurve or a y buck with a pocket knife its up to you. I'm happy when a person is proud of a kill. I hate when someone shoots something and always has the asterisk when telling the story.
*oh but it was on private
*oh but it wasn't a monster
*oh I did use bait
Be proud of your kill or don't kill. Put an ethical shot on something and use and enjoy the meat. Enjoy the outdoors and bring your kids. Don't care about how other people view your kill as long as its legal. If they have a problem its probably because they are jealous or have too much time on their hands. Have an awesome weekend guys and be safe.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:45 am

mheichelbech wrote:There is a pretty good chapter in one of eberhardts books about baiting....what the deer do, why it isn’t a great tactic and how to hunt around others that do bait. I’ll have to reread it and post a summary of it.

I will do the same I remember that chapter. Bill vale goes over the baiting technique too in his book.
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:35 am

My apologies if I offended some baiters.
I did not put anyone down for their method of hunting.

The OP asked for thoughts on baiting, I stand by my thought that baiting is opposite of beast style hunting.

Good luck to all and Merry Christmas!!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:31 am

minnesotahunter wrote:Different strokes for different folks. If you are proud of shooting a big buck over bait with a rifle or a fawn with a recurve or a y buck with a pocket knife its up to you. I'm happy when a person is proud of a kill. I hate when someone shoots something and always has the asterisk when telling the story.
*oh but it was on private
*oh but it wasn't a monster
*oh I did use bait
Be proud of your kill or don't kill. Put an ethical shot on something and use and enjoy the meat. Enjoy the outdoors and bring your kids. Don't care about how other people view your kill as long as its legal. If they have a problem its probably because they are jealous or have too much time on their hands. Have an awesome weekend guys and be safe.

Great post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”