post rut doe a no go, an I looking at this wrong?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: post rut doe a no go, an I looking at this wrong?

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Boogieman1 wrote: But I honestly do get where u r coming from and respect your look at herd management and better hunting opportunities

:clap: good conversation, man! Merry Christmas!

Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:51 pm

I shoot the doe. Actually prefer shooting them post rut as opposed to pre rut. The adult does are in better shape after weening the previous years fawns for the rut. The hypothetical “unborn record book buck” is just astronomical odds in wild populations. You’re better off playing the lottery. Even if the odds were comparable to the lottery, juvenile bucks still displace from the area they were born. A lot of times, many miles away. Like many have said, do what you like. I’ll continue shooting does.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:51 am

I just read all four pages :? To me it sounds like you should only shoot does. You seem to be concerned about genetics and trophy potential. You know what a bucks trophy potential is just by looking at him. You can’t do that with a doe. You’re hoping that you don’t shoot those booner genes out of your herd by shooting does. Correct?
So just go ahead and let those booners and p&y bucks walk. At least then you know that you’re not taking desirable genetics out of the herd. Shoot does so you know at least have a chance at not taking the trophy genes out. The booner will hop on as many does as he wants when theyre ready. You have no control over him and the does he dips into.
I shoot what I want when I want. I put no thought into a doe’s potentialto create a big buck. I prefer to put my energy into scouting, tree stand placement and dragging dead stuff out of the woods/marsh.
Shoot them early too if you don’t want to see a fetus. It would seem as though this might be part of the hesitation on your part.
It sounds like you’re new to hunting. So trust us when we say to focus your energy on other stuff related to deer hunting. You’ll be better off for it.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:56 pm

matt1336 wrote:It sounds like you’re new to hunting. So trust us when we say to focus your energy on other stuff related to deer hunting. You’ll be better off for it.

:lol: I can actually multitask , thinking and hunting at the same time and all, doesn't wear me out too much. :roll: I suppose not all can.
First, i'll shoot the big buck, common sense...if he has made it to that age and size he has spread his genetics just fine. If he is a younger deer, not buttons or spikes, and he makes the stupid sophomore mistakes like chasing a doe pre rut at 1030 in the morning...ill put him down, thin his bonehead genes before he can spread em.

The doe point is quite simple, a mere matter of reproduction. Since we humans share the basics of reproduction with deer, I'll once again make my point with a human analogy. And yes, I know people and deer are different.
Let's say a stud nfl running back lays with five women. All five become pregnant. Two of the kids would amount to average. Two would be high school studs. But one would follow in his daddy's footsteps, win the heisman, and go on to break every rushing record in the league.
I don't want to be the one who drops His momma off at the clinic. :snooty:
To me, putting an arrow through a pregnant doe's heart is pretty much the same. I'm not giving that deer the chance to even be, no telling what I am snuffing out.
Since I can't tell which are carrying the next "booner", and which is carring the deer that's going to walk headlong into trees...I've decided I'm just going to give them all a pass, unless of course my family needs some meat to survive. But then, that's not sport. :think:

So for all who hunt, by all means, fill your freezers with as many post rut doe as the law will let you, and enjoy those backstraps and jerky! I've got no hate for you.
As for me, post rut doe a no go. I still havn't seen a reason to make me feel diffrent.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Shooting a younger buck pre rut for chasing does isn’t thinning bone head genetics, it’s what bucks do in that timeframe. If your worried about big trophy bucks don’t shoot young bucks either. The 2.5 y/o buck you killed could have turned into a booner, he never saw his potential either. What’s the difference between killing a doe carrying a possible booner and killing a younger buck if trophy potential is the concern?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:15 pm

So for all who hunt, by all means, fill your freezers with as many post rut doe as the law will let you, and enjoy those backstraps and jerky! I've got no hate for you.
As for me, post rut doe a no go. I still havn't seen a reason to make me feel diffrent.[/quote]

Um....the confusing part here is that you think it’s different killing a doe early season as opposed to late season. It doesn’t matter. If you killed the doe in September, she’s not there in November to get bred. If you killed the doe late in the season shes not there to give birth. The common denominator here is that the doe isn’t there, because you killed her. So what’s the difference?
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:24 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:
matt1336 wrote:It sounds like you’re new to hunting. So trust us when we say to focus your energy on other stuff related to deer hunting. You’ll be better off for it.

If he is a younger deer, not buttons or spikes, and he makes the stupid sophomore mistakes like chasing a doe pre rut at 1030 in the morning...ill put him down, thin his bonehead genes before he can spread em.

As for me, post rut doe a no go. I still havn't seen a reason to make me feel diffrent.

So, you would shoot a little 4 pt or 6 pt for doing a normal thing like chasing a doe, and think you are doing genetics a favor? That couldnt sound more off to me. Yet we are talking about your potentials to create a BOONER? I think you skipped some really big steps here...
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:57 am

matt1336 wrote:So for all who hunt, by all means, fill your freezers with as many post rut doe as the law will let you, and enjoy those backstraps and jerky! I've got no hate for you.

Um....the confusing part here is that you think it’s different killing a doe early season as opposed to late season. It doesn’t matter. If you killed the doe in September, she’s not there in November to get bred. If you killed the doe late in the season shes not there to give birth. The common denominator here is that the doe isn’t there, because you killed her. So what’s the difference?[/quote]

I thought I had really exhausted this point earlier in the thread, you said you read all 4 pages! :whistle:
I was not, until I was conceived. Before that my dad's genes were in his jeans, so to speak. If he had some nice genes (say he could jump really high) he wanted to pass on he could spread them to a female....or two, or 5.
I get that jumping gene. The others may or may not. It's passed on at conception. Let's say you rob the carry out and shoot my mom, we both die...and those jumping genes are gone now.
Back up a year. You rob the same carryout and shoot the same girl, but she is not pregnant, I will never be conceived. You won't be killing me too, in the physical...perhaps in the philosophical. :think:
The entire point revolves around what is conceived, versus what isn't.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:17 am

johndeere506 wrote:So, you would shoot a little 4 pt or 6 pt for doing a normal thing like chasing a doe, and think you are doing genetics a favor? That couldnt sound more off to me. Yet we are talking about your potentials to create a BOONER? I think you skipped some really big steps here...

I would argue the buck who makes himself so easy a target likely won't make it to your booner status. Maybe if he lives in some type of controlled area.
It seems to me there are other factors at play. Daddy would have to pass down some "run-smarts" that kept his boy a step ahead of the game. He's not strolling open woods mid-morning, totally unaware, because of some tail. Not this future stud. He's making time with the chicks on the DL.
Forget catching up with him on a food plot edge during shooting light, he's still 40 yards from his bed (walking past Dan's stand!)
This is a different class of buck than "Fred", who's chilling in my freezer as we speak. :L:
Catskills

Unread postby Catskills » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:22 am

I shot a freezer doe last day of the season in NY. She kept walking in front my stand so her time was limited anyway. Passed on her tons before this.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:56 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:
johndeere506 wrote:So, you would shoot a little 4 pt or 6 pt for doing a normal thing like chasing a doe, and think you are doing genetics a favor? That couldnt sound more off to me. Yet we are talking about your potentials to create a BOONER? I think you skipped some really big steps here...

I would argue the buck who makes himself so easy a target likely won't make it to your booner status. Maybe if he lives in some type of controlled area.
It seems to me there are other factors at play. Daddy would have to pass down some "run-smarts" that kept his boy a step ahead of the game. He's not strolling open woods mid-morning, totally unaware, because of some tail. Not this future stud. He's making time with the chicks on the DL.
Forget catching up with him on a food plot edge during shooting light, he's still 40 yards from his bed (walking past Dan's stand!)
This is a different class of buck than "Fred", who's chilling in my freezer as we speak. :L:

I would strongly disagree with that... almost all little bucks are stupid and make that mistake. They get smart from age, experience and luck. And sure personality plays a large part as well. It sounds like your imagination is running wild on the future trophy novel :lol:
Make It Happen
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:19 am

Am I the only one who's head hurts from all of this!!!!!!! :confusion-shrug:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:04 am

If you don’t want to shoot does that’s fine, if you do that’s fine too, your not managing future booners by not shooting them tho that’s for sure. I’d be more concerned with the shooting of younger bucks if I was you, those young deer are for sure not reaching their potential, if that’s what your after. Like Matt said, sounds like your newer to hunting, and I agree with him, I’d put all this thinking to better use on things like buck Hunting tactics and scouting. Without a good knowledge base it would be a really tall order to kill something in the booner category if there’s something like that even around
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:17 am

stash59 wrote:Am I the only one who's head hurts from all of this!!!!!!! :confusion-shrug:

No you're not the only one!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:24 am

stash59 wrote:Am I the only one who's head hurts from all of this!!!!!!! :confusion-shrug:

No
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”