Fence crossings

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Fence crossings

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:37 pm

Those that follow my journal know about the fence crossing I found Sunday. Every deer I saw headed strait for it. Its a regular old barbwire fence that they could easily jump. The bottom strand was the only wire that was broken, but it could have just as well been a wide open gate for how they reacted to it.

I was recapping the hunt for my Dad when I got back, and he started smiling and talking about a few situations where he capitalized on sections of broken fence. It basically creates a funnel. I've also had many positive experiences with them and in the right situation (like Sunday) I will follow a fence line until I find a break or spot with some sag. I've seen limbs fall on them too. Deer are like people and will take the path of least resistance if possible. It is pretty crazy how far out of the way they will walk to utilize those openings. They could effortlessly jump the fence anywhere they want...

Just one of those "minor" things that some might overlook. In the right situation they can produce some great hunting. Anyone have any "hot" sets from broken or downed fences?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Fence crossings

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:32 pm

Fence crossings are good spots, when there in good cover even better. If there is no brakes in a fence watch for where it crosses a drainage typically it creates a low spot they duck under. Anyone ever notice when deer run across the road it’s usually always at a break in a fence or an edge of some sort. I like spots that stack odds combine a ridge line with another hard edge along with a interior fence with a hole in it Odds go way up if pressure is off it and is hunted sparingly at the right time. Good post LD!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:43 am

Great find and insight Ryan!

Creek and river crossings are another barrier like that fence. They seem to cross in the same spots year after year. And all during the season. I have a couple deep creek crossings that work as great funnels.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:50 am

When said fence separates remote public and unhunted or lightly hunted private, you have found paradise.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:00 am

I killed a buck this year with this exact scenario, the crossing is 100 yards from bedding and the other side of the crossing is a hay field. Drew back on another buck that came right to the crossing 10 min after I killed the buck but didn’t feel right to send an arrow and end the season there...in hindsight probably should have :lol:
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:35 am

Watched a small buck walk up to a fence this year, turn west and walk down the fence about 15 yards to cross at a lower point...could have easily jumped the 3 foot high fence but turned and walked to a spot that was 1' high.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:59 am

Lockdown wrote:Those that follow my journal know about the fence crossing I found Sunday. Every deer I saw headed strait for it. Its a regular old barbwire fence that they could easily jump. The bottom strand was the only wire that was broken, but it could have just as well been a wide open gate for how they reacted to it.

I was recapping the hunt for my Dad when I got back, and he started smiling and talking about a few situations where he capitalized on sections of broken fence. It basically creates a funnel. I've also had many positive experiences with them and in the right situation (like Sunday) I will follow a fence line until I find a break or spot with some sag. I've seen limbs fall on them too. Deer are like people and will take the path of least resistance if possible. It is pretty crazy how far out of the way they will walk to utilize those openings. They could effortlessly jump the fence anywhere they want...

Just one of those "minor" things that some might overlook. In the right situation they can produce some great hunting. Anyone have any "hot" sets from broken or downed fences?

Hey lockdown do you have a website? Or channel if so what is it if i dont slready belong i will join i like to see what you got
Join mine too link is below
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:09 am

I think the reason they are crossing at the broken wire is that they use less energy then just jumping over. I wonder if that is more pronounced due to the time of year / temperature :think: .
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:36 am

The Wensel's would often tie the strands of a barbed wire fence closer together to create the sag and uplift in it. Small deer went under, larger jump over. They put these where "they" wanted the deer to cross. They'd often add twine above the top strand in areas they didn't want the deer to cross.

Course this would be way too obvious on public lands.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
cougar

Unread postby cougar » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:37 am

we see the same thing with old stone walls in New England... any opening or broken spot is heavily used for travel. Lots of old property borders in these old woods. sometimes they fall on an old interior edge as well
row row row your boat, gently down the stream ...
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:49 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Those that follow my journal know about the fence crossing I found Sunday. Every deer I saw headed strait for it. Its a regular old barbwire fence that they could easily jump. The bottom strand was the only wire that was broken, but it could have just as well been a wide open gate for how they reacted to it.

Hey lockdown do you have a website? Or channel if so what is it if i dont slready belong i will join i like to see what you got

Sorry bud no channel of any kind ;)

Stash I have altered old fences that I know aren’t used anymore, but if I question it I don’t. No need to let the calves out and get farmer all mad :lol:

There’s actually an old fence in Oscars, but half of it is knocked down. I’ve though about resurrecting some of it to help me out, but question the ethics. If it’s easily jumpable I don’t think that should be considered unfair, but I still haven’t done it.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:03 am

Lockdown wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:

Stash I have altered old fences that I know aren’t used anymore, but if I question it I don’t. No need to let the calves out and get farmer all mad :lol:

There’s actually an old fence in Oscars, but half of it is knocked down. I’ve though about resurrecting some of it to help me out, but question the ethics. If it’s easily jumpable I don’t think that should be considered unfair, but I still haven’t done it.

Ethics are for each hunter to decide what’s right for them, if u r fine with it go for it. I wouldn’t worry what anyone else thinks. I lower fences, down trees, mow trails, block trails, make mock scrapes all for the simple reason of steering deer by my stand and increasing my odds. My look at it is I’m not forcing the deer to do anything, I’m am setting the table for what I think a deer will do, they can go around, over, through or whatever. Again I’m fine with it, if u suspect it might take away from your satisfaction then I wouldn’t do it.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:08 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:

Ethics are for each hunter to decide what’s right for them, if u r fine with it go for it. I wouldn’t worry what anyone else thinks. I lower fences, down trees, mow trails, block trails, make mock scrapes all for the simple reason of steering deer by my stand and increasing my odds. My look at it is I’m not forcing the deer to do anything, I’m am setting the table for what I think a deer will do, they can go around, over, through or whatever. Again I’m fine with it, if u suspect it might take away from your satisfaction then I wouldn’t do it.

I might. Who knows. I will say that I wouldn't be ok with making it higher than a typical fence. Chest/neck high is crossing the line IMO. Not that they can't jump one at that height.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:44 am

Lockdown wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:

I might. Who knows. I will say that I wouldn't be ok with making it higher than a typical fence. Chest/neck high is crossing the line IMO. Not that they can't jump one at that height.

For a mature deer 8' isn't all that difficult to jump. If they really want to, need to. Most farmer's/rancher's fence posts I've seen are no higher than 4' maybe the odd 5'. If your using baling twine it's mainly visual. If a deer jumps it a little short it gives alot or if weathered enough just breaks.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:17 am

Love fence crossings. Something I’m always looking at. Seems a lot of these bucks I get after are right on the edges of public/private ground. Finding a good crossing is a big plus but one thing I will say here, I very seldom see an older mature deer crossing at the same spot a lot of the other deer are. Normally it seems they are just a little farther off to one side or another. Tracks have really opened my eyes up to this. Of course this is situational, I have found some heavy crossings and have bigger deer using them just as well.

Here’s one on a heavy crossing for instance and I’ve got this buck a few times now crossing here and yes some are in shooting hours. This was the better of the pics tho.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”