Remembering Big Woods stand locations??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EdC

Re: Remembering Big Woods stand locations??

Unread postby EdC » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:47 am

Ok np

there is no already done topo maps in the .img format garmin needs

I hope you can find the topo maps for your area if not let me know

now due to space restrictions it is best to have a small image generally my map is the areas I hunt

I use a small image capture utility mwsnap it is very versatile and can capture any image off your computer
http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

I pick the area I hunt and capture the image in regular jpg format generally I have no problem with a few cities in the image

next I convert it into a .img format so garmin can use it, the convertor is here
https://mygeodata.cloud/converter/jpeg-to-img

there is others if you google I just picked the first one I saw
next save the original file off garmin to your pc just in case you need it
then I upload the converted file to my etrex

it may sound harder than it is, but it is easy

if you still have any questions just ask and I will walk you thru it

Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:45 am

Sweet. Thanks. I’ll try this tonight.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:01 am

Tree Jockey wrote:Hahaha yea I must be getting old. I'm questioning rather I can do it all by memory the first time to the stand. Might be a sign to get my Garmin out more.

Same here but even though I have gps maps w tons of tree locations, I never forget the best ones. The best ones are usually the bucks worth hunting. If you get service in most places you hunt then a phone is best route to go. Backup map tracks to other devices or google drive.
PassThrew

Unread postby PassThrew » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:10 am

JoeRE wrote:Hunting big woods made me buy a GPS. In the hills I am fine navigating by terrain but boy I get turned around up north in big timber :lol:

I believe I remember a couple examples of this JoeRE :lol:

I always have either cover transitions, timber types, and changing terrain I keep track of. Otherwise I have to use a compass or phone GPS if available. If you are able to skyline larger trees during bright moon times that helps too.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:42 pm

PassThrew wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Hunting big woods made me buy a GPS. In the hills I am fine navigating by terrain but boy I get turned around up north in big timber :lol:

I believe I remember a couple examples of this JoeRE :lol:

I always have either cover transitions, timber types, and changing terrain I keep track of. Otherwise I have to use a compass or phone GPS if available. If you are able to skyline larger trees during bright moon times that helps too.

Bout time you showed up bud :lol:
Wild public
Facebook: Joe Mckinney

Unread postby Wild public » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:26 pm

All I hunt is big woods. Without a gps I would be sunk. At least on my pre dawn hunts ,,My noggin isn’t enough. But I will also throw up a couple of tacks at tree I plan to use. And even with gps it’s easy to walk past the tree..did that this year and walked right over a deer trail I was hoping to avoid..one thing to remember about gps is that many will loose their way points you’ve saved after about 1 month once the batteries die,,I lost multiple marked hunting locations a few years ago because of this ..so now in the off season I check my batteries about once a month. Of course many models nowadays allow you to upload your waypoints on pc for future use,, but for me some type of gps is a necessity not a want. Many models allow you to overlay aerial and topo maps which I think is a great aid in scouting. You can use it with your paper maps. One area I hunt is 13,000 acres and and I sometimes am going 2-3 miles in in the dark . No way I want to try that without my gps.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”