Airbow? Where does it stop?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Airbow? Where does it stop?

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:37 am

Why does a conversation about an airbow always end up with compound vs crossbow? An airbow is a completely different weapon with no strings or cables or limbs and is not comporable to a bow (compound or xbow).

The whole compound vs crossbow topic is beat and riddled with misinformation and misconception and personal bias on each side, and divides archery hunters. We should be embracing all legal archery equipment as hunters and as outdoorsmen. If something gets people outdoors and involved in hunting that is a good thing.

I have hunted extensively with compound and crossbow and they both have their place. A crossbow is NOT greatly superior to a compound and is NOTHING like a rifle. It does have advantages, mainly less practice is needed, but a compound also has advantages, and they both have their weaknesses. They are both weapons that are extremely efficient of killing deer out to 30 yards, and are capable of longer shots under the right conditions.

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:35 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Lopedog, I certainly agree that confidence in your weapon is key and choosing a bow you are comfortable with and feels right in your hand is important. Ever consider a used one? I imagine some get a new bow every couple years and u could prob find a pretty good deal.

Checkerfred, I agree with u as well! Hunting from ground with a vertical bow is a tough deal, infact it's the reason I quit doing it. Even with a Xbow I would imagine is no easy ordeal. Wasn't questioning yours or anyone else's hunting abilities on here. Just this recent airbow news gets me a lil fired up no disrespect meant to anyone.

Thats good idea a used one might work if i can get it fitted to me Thnks bro
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:00 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Thats good idea a used one might work if i can get it fitted to me Thnks bro

If you are going to go used I would suggest an Excalibur. They are not serial numbered and they will generally still cover it under warranty in the unlikely event that you need it.

Another option is the DrawLoc.
https://www.drawloc.com/content/draw-lock-improvements

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:51 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:Thats good idea a used one might work if i can get it fitted to me Thnks bro

If you are going to go used I would suggest an Excalibur. They are not serial numbered and they will generally still cover it under warranty in the unlikely event that you need it.

Bob

Ok thanks bob ill check that out
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:26 pm

I like Dans mentality About the "latest and greatest" "unfair" product.. what's it matter to me? If those guys feel accomplished shooting a deer with a gun in archery season, let them. I'm going to stick to my recurve and compound. If I'm too concerned with them, how can i become a beter hunter now, with what i have.

I personally think it's an unsatisfying thing to use, that's why you'll never see me use it.. But, I struggled a lot with "judging" someone and thinking less of them for using such tools.. Now I don't care as much. Mario unknowingly taught me this mentality. I use to hate crossbows.. and any person using them is lazy.. But Mario works his but off for his deer, and so do all of you beasts even though some of you use crossbows, so my logic went right out the window.. Now I just don't care.. you just have a different weapon than me. Its like going hunting with a 300 or a 308, different gun.. still gets the job done, no person is better than the other.

let's talk tactics, not materials.. that says more about a hunter.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:02 am

Emrah wrote:I'm sorry. I don't want to sound mean, elitist or exclusionary, but nowhere does it say everyone HAS to participate in archery season. There already are medical or physical exemptions allowing people to use them. Not being coordinated enough to shoot a bow should not be one of those exemptions. And there are other seasons where crossbows can (and should) be used. Firearm, muzzleloader, etc.

These seasons were set aside for people who want to use a difficult weapon, up close and personal with the deer where the chances of success are low. Hence the long seasons.

Why change that? Why not use the weapon intended for that season? SOME people may have a REAL physical disability and can't use a bow. Some. But MOST people are doing it because it's an easier weapon and they want to guarantee success.

It flies in the face of what archery and archery season is supposed to be about. So why have separate seasons then? Why not allow rifles too?

I can scream about this till I'm blue in the face but I can't seem to convey how preposterous an idea this is. I'll shut up now because I'm getting nowhere.

Emrah

I have a compound bow. And I also have a crossbow. There is very difference in arrow trajectory or speeds for the most part.

Most crossbows are shooting FAC arrows between 305-370 with VERY FEW breaking the 400 FPS mark. They shoot about 10% faster than a guy with a 30” draw on most modern compounds can.

The real shortcuts arise from not having to practice as much and not drawing when deer could see you.

My opinion, not that it matters much, is that if you are not shooting traditional equipment, any argument about excluding crossbows from archery season is going to be weak at best.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:26 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:

Bob

Yes. But the overall drawed bow is huge compared to a crossbow. If you’re not just shooting in the back yard it’s pretty cumbersome. Although it would still offer advantages over a crossbow for a saddle hunter.
VilasCo

Unread postby VilasCo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:05 pm

I receive email updates from the office of Senator Tom Tiffany on a weekly basis. A recent email stated assembly bill 649 was to be addressed at the February 14th senate committee meeting. The first paragraph reads:

"Under this bill, a person may hunt an animal with a high-powered air rifle or
an airbow in a season open to hunting that animal with a firearm."

below is the website address:

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2017/re ... /ab649.pdf
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:52 pm

VilasCo wrote:I receive email updates from the office of Senator Tom Tiffany on a weekly basis. A recent email stated assembly bill 649 was to be addressed at the February 14th senate committee meeting. The first paragraph reads:

"Under this bill, a person may hunt an animal with a high-powered air rifle or
an airbow in a season open to hunting that animal with a firearm."

below is the website address:

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2017/re ... /ab649.pdf

wow thats crazy . just goes to show you most of our states just want the deer dead
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:43 pm

I never thought an airbow could or would be considered archery equipment, but Virginia is trying to make it legal during archery season. Looks like it has already passed the senate...

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/legislation/
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:46 pm

I have no problem with it... You don't have to use it after all.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Oh, I don't have any problem with it. And don't want to knock it as I have never tried it. Just thought it was interesting. I thought they would get their own special season. I think anything that gets people outdoors and hunting is good.
Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:21 pm

Airbow is !NOT! a bow it is an !AIR! bow cross bow is !NOT! a bow it is a !CROSS! bow. Neither should be allowed in archery season. I could see an exception for disabled or senior hunter for a CROSS bow in archery season but airbow come on theres gotta be a line.
Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:29 pm

Emrah wrote:I'm sorry. I don't want to sound mean, elitist or exclusionary, but nowhere does it say everyone HAS to participate in archery season. There already are medical or physical exemptions allowing people to use them. Not being coordinated enough to shoot a bow should not be one of those exemptions. And there are other seasons where crossbows can (and should) be used. Firearm, muzzleloader, etc.

These seasons were set aside for people who want to use a difficult weapon, up close and personal with the deer where the chances of success are low. Hence the long seasons.

Why change that? Why not use the weapon intended for that season? SOME people may have a REAL physical disability and can't use a bow. Some. But MOST people are doing it because it's an easier weapon and they want to guarantee success.

It flies in the face of what archery and archery season is supposed to be about. So why have separate seasons then? Why not allow rifles too?

I can scream about this till I'm blue in the face but I can't seem to convey how preposterous an idea this is. I'll shut up now because I'm getting nowhere.

Emrah

I'm with Emrah except I don't care how I come off. Use that stuff during firearms let the archers have archery season.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:03 am

Trip wires and hand grenades are next

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”