Airbow? Where does it stop?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Airbow? Where does it stop?

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:44 am

Jeff G wrote:this is a debate that never has an end...............

Only way to solve it is to say archery is a stick and string, no sites, no compounds, no crossbows.

Compounds have a huge advantage over a trad bow, crossbows have an advantage over a compound bow.

Guys that shoot compounds or crossbows are in the exact same spot. I really laugh when I hear someone that shoots a compound condemn a guy that shoots a crossbow.

Gotta agree with ya Jeff. There's way more bowhunters out there using compounds. That want to and do become effecient at getting their equipment tuned properly. Then becoming great shots at long yardages. Through practice. If you pay any attention to what's happening on the out west end of bowhunting. Nowadays shots at 40-60 yards are very common on game.

I'm willing to bet the average xbow shooter doesn't want to spend the kind of time or effort to match that.

As far as use during archery seasons. At least a xbow still uses a bent limb to power the propulsion of an arrow. The weapon the OP originally mentioned. More properly called an "arrow gun". Does not use a bent limb for powering the arrows propulsion. Even though it's gas, not gun powder being used. It's still a gun. Which should prevent it from being used in "archery only seasons".

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:45 am

...and you have a peep, release, let off cams, string silencers, stabilizers, limb dampness.....your right, compounds don't have any advantages over trad.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:47 am

I have the same crossbow as stash, I have a bow as well. My crossbow shoots way slower and is noisier than the compound bow.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:20 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:the problem is secretly everybody will use one... we as hunters have to decide when to put our foot down and say no thanks its our responsibility not the state or the companies. we need to express true hunting values and draw the line that goes for weapons and harvests. I only shot two deer this year because the numbers are down normally I kill 4 to 6 deer a year and a bear. looks like ill be filling the freezer with smoked trout this year but that's fine because when I kill 4 does I kill 12 deer.

Smoked trout? Im coming over i always wanted to try that lol
its the best the canned stuff is real good too
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Dewey wrote:It’s getting way out of control. What’s next? :twisted:

Won’t be long now and we will see just one hunting season that won’t be weapon specific and anything goes. Hope I’m wrong but I truly believe I will see that in my lifetime.

I already experience this being a tribal member. On Rez My tribe starts hunting in July and goes thru the end of January, 24-7 unlimited deer. We can use any weapon we want, use of spot light from a vehicle if we want.

Off Rez starts in early September runs thru the beginning of January, we get two off Rez tags ether sex per outing, till the unit quota is reached. We can hunt with gun if we want, they also started the night hunting to but as far as I know not many if any tribal member has done it.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:42 pm

Only way to solve it is to say archery is a stick and string, no sites, no compounds, no crossbows.

Compounds have a huge advantage over a trad bow, crossbows have an advantage over a compound bow.

Guys that shoot compounds or crossbows are in the exact same spot. I really laugh when I hear someone that shoots a compound condemn a guy that shoots a crossbow.

I think we went from beating a dead horse, to nuking a dead horse and dropping it off in North Korea with the crossbow debate.

Weapons don’t make the hunter. You don’t become a killer (especially mature deer) by just changing your weapon. Some people just get too attached to that their method is the only way it should be done.

One close family friend of mine started hunting this last year with a crossbow. He isn’t coordinated enough for a bow. Just got into it too late and can’t get the muscle work down for it. Tried it and it didn’t work one but. Loves hunting more than ever now cause he isn’t stuck hunting 2-3 days a year. If he lost that ability to hunt I would be as crushed as he would be.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:11 am

Jonny wrote:

I think we went from beating a dead horse, to nuking a dead horse and dropping it off in North Korea with the crossbow debate.

Weapons don’t make the hunter. You don’t become a killer (especially mature deer) by just changing your weapon. Some people just get too attached to that their method is the only way it should be done.

One close family friend of mine started hunting this last year with a crossbow. He isn’t coordinated enough for a bow. Just got into it too late and can’t get the muscle work down for it. Tried it and it didn’t work one but. Loves hunting more than ever now cause he isn’t stuck hunting 2-3 days a year. If he lost that ability to hunt I would be as crushed as he would be.

Couldnt agree more johnny.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:07 am

I'm sorry. I don't want to sound mean, elitist or exclusionary, but nowhere does it say everyone HAS to participate in archery season. There already are medical or physical exemptions allowing people to use them. Not being coordinated enough to shoot a bow should not be one of those exemptions. And there are other seasons where crossbows can (and should) be used. Firearm, muzzleloader, etc.

These seasons were set aside for people who want to use a difficult weapon, up close and personal with the deer where the chances of success are low. Hence the long seasons.

Why change that? Why not use the weapon intended for that season? SOME people may have a REAL physical disability and can't use a bow. Some. But MOST people are doing it because it's an easier weapon and they want to guarantee success.

It flies in the face of what archery and archery season is supposed to be about. So why have separate seasons then? Why not allow rifles too?

I can scream about this till I'm blue in the face but I can't seem to convey how preposterous an idea this is. I'll shut up now because I'm getting nowhere.

Emrah
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:34 am

Emrah wrote:I'm sorry. I don't want to sound mean, elitist or exclusionary, but nowhere does it say everyone HAS to participate in archery season. There already are medical or physical exemptions allowing people to use them. Not being coordinated enough to shoot a bow should not be one of those exemptions. And there are other seasons where crossbows can (and should) be used. Firearm, muzzleloader, etc.

These seasons were set aside for people who want to use a difficult weapon, up close and personal with the deer where the chances of success are low. Hence the long seasons.

Why change that? Why not use the weapon intended for that season? SOME people may have a REAL physical disability and can't use a bow. Some. But MOST people are doing it because it's an easier weapon and they want to guarantee success.

It flies in the face of what archery and archery season is supposed to be about. So why have separate seasons then? Why not allow rifles too?

I can scream about this till I'm blue in the face but I can't seem to convey how preposterous an idea this is. I'll shut up now because I'm getting nowhere.

Emrah

:lol: I didn't wanna say it, but not coordinated enough to lift one arm and pull back the other sounds pretty rough. If thats the case and the man is not handicap I don't know if him in the woods with a weapon is a good idea atleast not alone. We are not talking heart surgeon procession here basic human movements.

I wanted to be a jockey and ride at the Kentucky derby however I'm over 5 ft and 100 lbs. Life ain't fair we play the hand we are given.

I personally feel the popular majority gives 2 chits about anything archery, if they outlawed the use of bows and arrows they would careless and once again say who cares I just wanna kill something.

The art of the bow an arrow will eventually be lost, just look over the past 50 years and think about the next 50. The only thing that would work is folks stop buying the newest latest and greatest, looking for a easier way. And say I'm gonna except the bow and arrow challange for what it is, which would lead manufactures to quit removing the challange. But I can tell ya 100% that ain't gonna happen, just try enjoy the bow seasons we have left.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:18 am

Emrah wrote:I'm sorry. I don't want to sound mean, elitist or exclusionary, but nowhere does it say everyone HAS to participate in archery season. There already are medical or physical exemptions allowing people to use them. Not being coordinated enough to shoot a bow should not be one of those exemptions. And there are other seasons where crossbows can (and should) be used. Firearm, muzzleloader, etc.

Emrah

I agree with you. Crossbows for kids and physical disabilities with a provision for a short term medical problem for ONE season. That way someone who needs surgery can recover and still be able to hunt.

I would love to see a progressive season based on hunting implement difficulty. Something like Pennsylvania does. Start with archery then flintlock, then percussion, the shotgun-rifle-muzzleloader seasons with a lesser weapons rule so you could go more primitive if you want to. Put airbows in the gun season or better yet leave them out.

If the DNR needs to up the kill lengthen the season. Part of the "problem", as it were, is that the DNR doesn't seem to want to do that.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:03 pm

I use a crossbow cause of my shoulder it’s probably permanent injury but i would love to go back to a bow and am really planning to but i love to hunt and persue the old swamp donkeys so im gonna use my xbow if legal. Until i can use a bow again im gonna keep using it
Airbows are not bows they are guns the shoot a projectile
With a force imo an explosion of wind just like the explosion of gun powder. It has no limbs so its not a bow
Bows and xbows shoot a bolt or arrow by a string pushing it forward ( an actual object). The object is loaded back with strain on it therefore when released its energy from weight is pushing the arrow or bolt to its target. A bullet has a primer that ignites gun powder that causes an explosion which is not an object its an occurence or reaction that pushes the air bolt or bullet down the barrel. An airbow is i believe co2 charges with severe pressure ( a gas) that is released that pushes ghe bullet down the barrel or wherever the air bolt comes out
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:50 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:I use a crossbow cause of my shoulder it’s probably permanent injury but i would love to go back to a bow and am really planning to but i love to hunt and persue the old swamp donkeys so im gonna use my xbow if legal. Until i can use a bow again im gonna keep using it
With a force imo an explosion of wind just like the explosion of gun powder. It has no limbs so its not a bow
Bows and xbows shoot a bolt or arrow by a string pushing it forward ( an actual object). The object is loaded back with strain on it therefore when released its energy from weight is pushing the arrow or bolt to its target. A bullet has a primer that ignites gun powder that causes an explosion which is not an object its an occurence or reaction that pushes the air bolt or bullet down the barrel. An airbow is i believe co2 charges with severe pressure ( a gas) that is released that pushes ghe bullet down the barrel or wherever the air bolt comes out

I'm glad u r still in the field and still afforded the right to hunt despite your injury. That was the purpose of the Xbow. Also respect your view on returning to a bow and arrow once injury is healed. I have never heard any hunter or archer ever say anything negative about kids, women, handicap or injured using a Xbow, if so I would like to see it cause I see it in an excuse form on the regular. Right next to the I don't have time to be proficient. If I go out with a rusty dull broadhead because I didnt have time to sharpen or buy a new one I don't think that makes it ok.
-John Wayne-
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:38 pm

stash59 wrote:
I'm willing to bet the average xbow shooter doesn't want to spend the kind of time or effort to match that.

That’s a bad generalization. It doesn’t take much effort to shoot a compound. The new compounds are crazy easy to shoot. When I first got mine, knowing nothing about archery, I could hit a deers vitals at 40 yards no problem. Now knowing when to draw, when to move, making sure you have a clear shot, that only comes from experience while hunting. But the same can be said for any weapon. I hunt crossbow mostly now because I hunt from the ground. I still have to watch when I move, know I have a clear lane, know my yardage, and know how to hunt.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:15 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:I use a crossbow cause of my shoulder it’s probably permanent injury but i would love to go back to a bow and am really planning to but i love to hunt and persue the old swamp donkeys so im gonna use my xbow if legal. Until i can use a bow again im gonna keep using it

I'm glad u r still in the field and still afforded the right to hunt despite your injury. That was the purpose of the Xbow. Also respect your view on returning to a bow and arrow once injury is healed. I have never heard any hunter or archer ever say anything negative about kids, women, handicap or injured using a Xbow, if so I would like to see it cause I see it in an excuse form on the regular. Right next to the I don't have time to be proficient. If I go out with a rusty dull broadhead because I didnt have time to sharpen or buy a new one I don't think that makes it ok.

I agree boogie. I wasnt really saying anyone said anything
Negative i was just putting my reason why i use a crossbow. I want to go back to a bow soooooo bad. I love hoyt bows always had one slways will. Just my brand i always felt confortable with and loved. But its sick the price for these bows nowadays are just disgusting
Its gonna be a couple seasons of saving up to go back to a bow for me. I wont buy a cheap bow. I want quality and confidence in my equipment. Hoyt has always brought that to me any other suggestions would be appreciated too im gonna put a thread up on equipment asking too
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:57 pm

Lopedog, I certainly agree that confidence in your weapon is key and choosing a bow you are comfortable with and feels right in your hand is important. Ever consider a used one? I imagine some get a new bow every couple years and u could prob find a pretty good deal.

Checkerfred, I agree with u as well! Hunting from ground with a vertical bow is a tough deal, infact it's the reason I quit doing it. Even with a Xbow I would imagine is no easy ordeal. Wasn't questioning yours or anyone else's hunting abilities on here. Just this recent airbow news gets me a lil fired up no disrespect meant to anyone.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”