The killing plot...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brancher147
500 Club

Re: The killing plot...

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:06 am

Hatchetman wrote:Really tough when they come straight in on you like that.
The worst is when come straight in and they go around the "right" side of the tree if your a right hander. Pretty small area from the time they are broadside till your draw arm is pinned against the tree. :doh:

If your deer diagram in the video is accurate...
2" - 4" inches farther back and your Wisconsin buck tag would of been punched that day.
Not to bust your balls , just calling it the way I see it.

My thought also, but hard to say without seeing the video of the shot...I lost a good buck on a single lung hit this year also, but would confidently take the shot again if given the chance, that's just hunting sometimes...You can mess up an easy broadside shot also...

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:59 am

JoeRE wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
dan wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Dan that video gives me even more respect for you, if that's possible.

Thanks for putting that together. We are all a little better for it.

It would of been real easy to let that video hit the trash bin. ;)

That's just not your style. And that's why you've earned the the respect & admiration of every guy on this sight!!!

Yea I wonder how unpublished footage is out there of bad shots and unrecovered deer by all the celebs...

Bill Winke is the only one I can think of that has done something similar but he is too stubborn to admit to the camera a mistake was made. He still tries to justify bad decisions on camera which kinda defeats the purpose of publishing a bad shot.

We have all been there. The only variable is if we are man enough to admit it and smart enough to learn something from it. It was a tough shot Dan, and yea in hindsight you would have done something different, but honestly it wasn't that bad of a chance from how you described it! I have taken a few worst shots that that, and they haunt me and I have learned from them. Those split second shot opportunities have got many of us in trouble. There's an incredibly fine line between just enough time and not enough time....

You would have recovered that deer if it was in Iowa....where where landowners cannot deny you the right to follow a blood trail. I still always ask, and they always say yes, cuz they know they can't really say no, funny how different that is from most states where some landowners just see an opportunity to say no and recover a big buck themselves.

I have actually had that Iowa law work for me on a buck once. It would be nice if that were the law here too.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:12 am

brancher147 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:Really tough when they come straight in on you like that.
The worst is when come straight in and they go around the "right" side of the tree if your a right hander. Pretty small area from the time they are broadside till your draw arm is pinned against the tree. :doh:

If your deer diagram in the video is accurate...
2" - 4" inches farther back and your Wisconsin buck tag would of been punched that day.
Not to bust your balls , just calling it the way I see it.

My thought also, but hard to say without seeing the video of the shot...I lost a good buck on a single lung hit this year also, but would confidently take the shot again if given the chance, that's just hunting sometimes...You can mess up an easy broadside shot also...

Here is the image from the video. The image is not perfect, and is not mine. I borrowed an image from the internet that had the best angle I could find. The dot should be right behind the shoulder, but high. I aim for the exit. The arrow was intended to go thru the front of the vitals and into the middle of the far front leg. A shot many professional shooters teach. The arrow got about 15 inches of penatration, so I know the arrow lodged and stopped in the deers right, far leg. I do agree that a little farther back should of killed it. but it should of been dead if it hit where the diagram shows too. 6 OR 8 INCHES OF PENATRATION? yea, that would of meant to far forward. My geuss would be the arrow was slightly high and hit just one lung and got around the heart somehow. Image
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:07 am

Actually a great video that indicates Rising air currents and their ability to lift your scent past on an almost wrong wind
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:07 am

I hit a nice buck very similar this fall and never found it. I rushed the shot and it was almost straight under my stand. It was the first deer I have ever failed to recover and I beat myself up pretty bad over it. It made me feel sick, and to avoid that feeling in the future I am now committed to slowing down and waiting for a better shot. I want to thank you Dan for posting this video. It's easy for guys like me to get discouraged in this type of situation, but seeing the same thing happen to the bbsk makes me realize that unfortunately these thing will happen on occasion even to the most experienced among us.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:14 pm

First what a great video showing how you and Dave are careful not to over hunt a small property.

Second I was amazed at how every deer seemed to be downwind and never bugged out.

Finally an honest raw ending to a real hunt captured on video. Sucks you didn’t get the deer but we have all been there. No Hollywood clean up of the outcome.

Thanks for sharing.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Have to say Dan, I also learned a hard lesson this past season from a shot op that I just shouldn't have taken. Like you said, when you only have a second or two to make the decision it can be a tough call to make.....especially on a big public buck. Kudos for breaking it down in a video.....as tough as it is to relive, we all can learn a valuable lesson from it. :clap:
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:14 am

To those of you wondering, the blend Dan is using is my "Pure Clover" mix. There are 6 high quality clovers in it. I have seen high quality food plots (get a soil test and follow it!) make a huge difference in antler and body size as well as attractivness. I have also seen food plots make a dramatic difference in the number and even age structure of the deer using the area, BUT you still have to use your head and follow the basics.

You want good bedding cover nearby. If your nearest bedding is a 1/2+ mile away don't expect to see big bucks come into a plot during daylight. Not that it doesn't happen, but that is usually on low pressure ground and/or extreme wheather conditions like bitter cold blizzard conditions. Even then don't count on it. I have had customers send me pictures and video of 4 1/2+ year old booners on their food plots (always seems to be on Crimson Trail) during daylight, but it is always up against nice thick bedding/escape cover. So always try to keep your kill plots close to a big bucks bedding area. The closer the better. There have been times I have told potential customers to skip buying seed from me and plant good cover because they didn't have any and cover is number one. Without it your often just spinning your wheels. The better cover you have the better big bucks will utilize a food plot during daylight. Assuming you don't over hunt it (common mistake).
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:10 am

dan wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Dan that video gives me even more respect for you, if that's possible.

Thanks for putting that together. We are all a little better for it.

It would of been real easy to let that video hit the trash bin. ;)

Yea but putting that in the trash bin wouldnt be you danny boy.
And its why your respected so much by all of us ( not to kiss your hind end or anything ) but to be honest my first video i watched of yours and i forget where it happened ,dvd or you tube.i cant remember You were hunting a marsh you explained what your setup was and why. And when you setup the buck was lying in his bed on the edge of a point and you were on another edge across from him
Anyway, We watched the buck get up out of his bed walk too you and you shot him. Well you diddnt find the buck and said i wasnt going to put this video up but you said pretty much it sucks but thats hunting and we need to learn from mistakes we make. We all lose deer and if you haven't you will. Thats what you said in the video. Maybe not in those exact words but. I was hooked and you earned my total respect and inspired me for what you stand for. And im sure im not the only one who feels the same way
You are for teaching and education not comercial bullcrap. And jab jab punch marketing ploys. ( internet marketing)
Anyway i have seen and watched everything you got out now and am a total beast nut and probably a little annoying on this forum (sorry im very passionate) we will meet and i will shake your hand on the 27th and cant wait my brotha.
Thanks for inspiring everyone who seeks better tactics and knowledge of our passion without all the sales pitch marketing bullcrap. ( ok im done kissing you hindend now) lmao

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”