The Addiction: What is the best part?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

The Addiction: What is the best part?

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:02 am

I was thinking about this the other day and was curious other Beast's opinions. We all chase that feeling of holding a big buck but thats not my favorite part about it all...

My favorite part is seeing that buck come out of a place I scouted. Hard work paying off is a big one too. Or seeing him do what I expected or didnt expect. IDK what it is but seeing a buck emerge from the place I thought he would be sleeping is one of the craziest highs ever. Im truly addicted to beast ways... scouting, bed hunting, mapping, tracking - All separate addictions that work together to create my sanity :D

Some may be happy hunting w others and seeing their success. Maybe the shot, or the kill is the best part? Or maybe the shakes after or the phone call to loved ones? Maybe its uploading the pic to the beast or eating some fresh meat?

So what is the best part of Beast hunting to you?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: The Addiction: What is the best part?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:21 am

To many for me to single out just one, they all bring a different feeling of satisfaction and excitement. I list my fav moments in no particular order:

The excitement every opening day brings
That first cold morning on stand
Seeing that first flash of antler of a buck u want
Having him do exactly what u thought
Watching a well placed arrow
The walk up to a buck
Fresh backstraps on the bbq
The call from the taxidermist saying he's ready

A lot of stuff but they all provide me a special feeling and can't just choose one
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:58 am

The walk back to the truck after a successful recovery. I’m probably smiling the whole time and don’t even realize it.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:05 am

Sharing the success! Not just braggin about the bone you collected. But some of my best memories revolved around processing the meat. Especially making jerky, sticks and sausages. Then sharing these special meats with everyone.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 am

This was my first real "beast" season. And my favorite part was...Feeling like I was "in the game" for once! On stand this year I felt so much more excited/in the zone about each hunt. Because I felt for the first time, a mature buck could walk out at any time or on any sit! I was sitting in every spot of a specific reason. I felt like there was a purpose to my strategy. I felt I had laser focus, every hunt!

Many past year It was just sitting on a ridge, hoping a deer would maybe walk by.
Last edited by tgreeno on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 am

For me I think the addiction for me, is to get that same feeling I had when I was a kid. I was 14 years old and I had a 120 8 point get up from his bed in an alder swamp that I was setup on. I heard him get up and walk out on the trail in front of me. I drew my bow and made the shot. I hit the buck in the shoulder and we never recovered it. Seeing the buck come through the swamp and presenting a shot was probably my favorite feeling. I'm still chasing that feeling every year.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:46 am

Agree with everything mentioned above, and suffer the same afflictions! I would also ad getting that call from a buddy needing help draggin a deer out. Thats fun stuff right there..

Chad
SwampStalker
Facebook: Don't have it

Unread postby SwampStalker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:07 am

For me, like the rest of you i am sure, the entire process start to Finnish is just plain awesome. But to answer the question, the apex of the entire process for me would have to be; when you first get a glimpse of antler on a buck you are tracking that you have worked so hard for. Its at that very second that you can consider yourself successful. All the scouting, hours in stand, practice shooting, money spent on tags/equipment, ect .... was all for a purpose,. And when you get a glimpse of your downed buck, you know all the hard work, that began long before the shot, has culminated into a successful journey.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:12 am

So many to list but I'd have to say the phone call saying I need help getting one out. Just knowing your sharing that moment with someone that hunting means the same to is always cool to me. Then a close second would have to be the scouting
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:24 am

The ride home after you killed one and recovered and drug it out... Knowing you got it done and the bird is in hand. Don't get me wrong it's an adrenaline rush walking up on a downed deer, but part of my celebration is reserved because I know the amount of work ahead of me.
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
ZA11

Unread postby ZA11 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:25 am

I really enjoy the scouting process throughout the year and having a buck do exactly what you expect them to do.
harold

Unread postby harold » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:47 pm

So many things, but if I had to pick just one...

That moment when you walk up on one with a buddy. Before the congratulations, high fiving, back slapping even start. Those few seconds where there's silence and you are both taking it all in. For me it is even better if it is their deer; I enjoy seeing other's success. It just doesn't get any better than that.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:22 pm

I forgot one, that long wait after a good shot b4 u climb down to investigate. So many thoughts and emotions go through my head. Top it off with lowering your bow down without a haul line!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:10 pm

I like every aspect of it. Public land and making my private better planting trees and food plots. Putting a big one down is a bonus.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:28 pm

So far for me its the ability to see the woods in a way I never could before. Its a special feeling now. I'm always in the game! I feel really empowered. I can look at a map and see the bedding and such. Deer hunting used to be 2 months out of the year. Im so hooked now I have the confidence to go out 12 months out of the year now.

Dark knight you know all the maps we looked at together. I couldn't ever look at a map like i do now. You and I talked that night and i went out and seen the biggest bucks I ever saw in PA. It wasnt just luck. It was what the beast taught us!

Maybe some bad luck , since i didn't get him though. :cry:
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”