The Addiction: What is the best part?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OH nontypical
500 Club

Re: The Addiction: What is the best part?

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:48 pm

For me bowhunting is timeless. It’s one of the only things in life that has kept my attention.

I rarely gun hunt but still live to bowhunt after almost 30 years in the stand.

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:32 pm

The addiction for me is being in the presence of big, old bucks. More specifically, when they are in or very near bow range. We all know how hard it is to get an up close visual of a wise, old brute. It’s just a rush knowing you’re in a position most hunters rarely or never get to experience.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Wannabelikedan wrote:The addiction for me is being in the presence of big, old bucks. More specifically, when they are in or very near bow range. We all know how hard it is to get an up close visual of a wise, old brute. It’s just a rush knowing you’re in a position most hunters rarely or never get to experience.

Been thinking about a reply to this thread and this sums it up exactly for me. Nothing like a super close encounter with a huge buck to get me going. That addiction to those encounters keeps me coming back over and over. It never gets old. I’m always seeking the next one.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:02 pm

finding a big buck scouting an seeing how he's moving around threw the woods and getting a view of life threw his eyes
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Dan T

Unread postby Dan T » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:21 pm

I live the every aspect of the game, but will break down my two biggest passions and what drives me every year. The second most addictive part for me is Tracking. All of my hunting is based on the previous seasons and in season tracking snow or bare ground. I become immersed in following and interpreting a single animals track, learning all of his ways and little idiosyncrasies. The longer I track that animal animal,predict his movements and break down his subtle signs such as a damage he leaves on one side of him when passing in close proximity to a sapling or brush, maybe a mark from the top of a main beam or hole in the snow from a drop time when he feeds or maybe he puts more weight on one foot than the others etc. some times especially if I can cut the fresh track on f the same deer for several days in a row, it almost feels like I can tell what mood he’s in and he’s just as aggrieved and curious about me as I am thinking of him, some times I see where he’s spent his night back tracking me(sounds strange but I’ve seen the old boys do it enough to creep me out some times). Where I hunt there’s more ground than a man could cover in a decade. The only unnatural sounds I hear throughout the course of a day is a plane way over head. So that’s my second Passion in hunting. My number one is sharing all of that by one on one guiding tracking hunts every season as Registered Maine Guide. I have not killed an animal with a gun in 16years. I personally only bowhunt and my primary approach is a combination of tracking/beast or bead based hunting, a combination of the two that has worked well for me. I guide three one one tracking gun hunts a year, one is Maine youth day,which last year I helped my friends 9 year old son shoot his first deer, this year same kid now ten got a 147lb dressed doe, and I guide two more hunts each year tracking, the last week of November and week of muzzleloader in December. This year was special, that boy got that amazing doe and I had the oppertunity to guide his father later this season durring muzzleloader, which he missed two nice bucks that week and in the end that hunt was just as wonderful as if he connected. I get such a high, not only when I produce an oppertunity got another, but when I see the light bulbs go on and off my n their eyes all day and not only do they appreciate they got an oppertunity, but they now know how and why. That’s what drives me, to succeed for others and myself.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:51 am

The challenge of giving my self an opportunity to kill a buck on his turf.

Scouting, Scouting and Scouting.

Figuring out which bucks are using an area. Targeting the buck, setting up, having a target commit to my setup. Regardless if I kill him or not, knowing that I figured the area out and determined a location and could have killed him. That's the addiction for me.

However, I think if I lived in an area where I could hunt and target bigger, more mature bucks I could easily find an addiction of killing bigger bucks!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:22 am

For me it's the scouting, looking at maps, looking for beds all that stuff. Another is when you see a buck coming out of where you thought he was and heading your way that's pretty awesome too.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:38 am

For me, it's no doubt putting the plan together and seeing a buck do something that you predicted. In my short beast hunting "career" I have witnessed quite a few bucks get up out of their bed exactly where I planned on them being. That is an extremely good feeling when that happens and even better when you get to put your tag on one!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:03 am

cbay wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:
My favorite part is seeing that buck come out of a place I scouted. Hard work paying off is a big one too. Or seeing him do what I expected or didnt expect. IDK what it is but seeing a buck emerge from the place I thought he would be sleeping is one of the craziest highs ever.

Same here

Cbay, great avatar picture!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:23 am

Wow, thanks guys for all the feedback. Definitely a nice variety of answers here, I also see priorities vary between everyone and the point each is in their hunting lives.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”