What's the best excuse for a missed shot u have heard

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

What's the best excuse for a missed shot u have heard

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:08 pm

One of the advantages of hunting alone with no camera is nobody knows you missed or not. When I come home after a bad miss and family looks at me and says Well... I simply avoid the laughter and ridicule by just saying not today didn't see squat. But what's the best ones u have had thrown your way. Think the best ones I've heard, where right as I loosed the arrow the buck stepped in a pot hole or I had the sun in my eyes.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What's the best excuse for a missed shot u have heard

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 am

A friend of mine told me that he missed a buck once cause he skipped breakfast and his stomach growled just before the shot.
WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:17 am

I don't know if this qualifies or not, but about 20 years ago when I was still in college, I was hunting with my roommate. We are set up for an evening hunt about 250 yards apart. When we meet back at my truck, he tells me he hit a nice 8, and hit it good.

We go back home to grab dinner and let some time pass, then go back to the woods to recover the animal. We immediately find blood, and the buck heads right for the swamp. Blood is harder to find, but little by little, we keep on the trail. Probably 3 hours later, we finally catch up to the deer, who isn't dead yet but isn't moving. When I saw the deer, though, something wasn't right.

I asked my buddy if he was sure he shot an 8 pointer, because the deer we had been trailing for several hours deep into the swamp was a doe? He then tells me that there were a couple deer all at the same time, and he must've missed the buck and hit this doe.

Well, we were able to get to the deer with our knife to finally kill it, and the two of us had a heck of a drag back out of there. His arrow slammed the front chest - I don't know exactly what organs it hit, but no doubt in my mind he hit right where he aimed.

It's hard to explain the emotions of that night. The dude is embarrassed. I'm ripping on him, but at the same time, still happy for him. The drag out of there sucks, because it's a lot of work and your expecting it to be for a nice buck.

So yeah, missing a buck because you actually aimed at the wrong deer.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:37 am

Had a guy Shoot a little 6 point, when he took his eyes off a big mature 10 point buck right at dark to grab his bow, when he turned back he shot the deer at 15 yards in some brush. He did not even know it was the wrong buck till we recovered it.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:57 am

Not really a miss story but a buddy said he had a 170 comeing in every night. U need to know him if he sees anything under 160 it's a miracle :lol:. So long story he's in his new ground blind and has this 4 point come in which he said comes in 5 min before the big one every night. So he draws on the 4 point to see how much room he has in the blind settels the pin behind shoulder just to make sure everything is good. Follows as it walks his elbow hits the ground blind causing him to hit release and hit the 4 pointer :lol: .
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:28 am

^^^ that’s a good one!!^^^
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:37 am

So this isn’t a story of an excuse for a miss, just an odd story about a “miss”. Well 5 misses actually.

Decades ago my dad and his brothers were doing drives. One uncle is notorious for buck fever and screwing up easy shots.

I was told a MONSTER came running out and headed right down the fence line my buck fever uncle was posting on. No shots were heard :think: After the drive they ask him “didn’t you see that huge buck that came running out? It had to have ran right by you!”

He said “Yeah I shot at him 5 times. Must have missed because I couldn’t find any blood.” Brothers say the heck you did nobody fired a shot the whole drive.

They went back to where he was standing and there laid all 5 shotgun slugs on the ground...

He must have freaked so bad he was hitting the pump/action release instead of the trigger :? And he just ejected all the shells out...

Seems ridiculous but that’s the story I was told by my Dad.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:39 am

I know a couple guys who “hit the void” every year
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:44 am

One I hear far to often: I can't believe how much he ducked that shot!

Always followed by: Im perfect at 60 yards all day long...

:idea: yeah that's weird man
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:57 am

Imo a hunter is better off to be honest about their misses so they can work to fix what went wrong.
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:11 am

This isn't an excuse but one that I had happen firsthand. I was walking in one morning right at daybreak as I had slept in. On my way to the stand I bumped a couple of doe. Suddenly they came charging back as a very large buck appeared hot on their tails. They moved off in the brush so I got my grunt call and grunted a few times and kicked some leaves around. Immediately the buck came right to me and we had a stare down thru the only small tree/bush between myself and him at 5 yards. Finally he moved off and as he got behind a tree I came to full draw. He stepped out perfectly broadside at 20 yards and stopped to look back. I touched off the release only to watch my arrow veer off 10 yards in front of the deer. I heard the buck laughing as he trotted off. I was dumbfounded with the miss but here in my excitement of the hunt I had forget about that grunt tube which had still been in my mouth when I released the arrow. The string caught the tube and ripped it out of my mouth thus causing the arrow to miss so bad!!
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:15 am

Lockdown that's the funniest one ever :lol: :lol:

The typical one I always hear is i hit a twig. It is pretty thick here so maybe so... But I know all my misses never hit twigs they are just straight up misses :lol:
Make It Happen
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:07 am

:D
PIXIE DUST GOT IN MY EYES!
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:11 am

Octoberjohn wrote:This isn't an excuse but one that I had happen firsthand. I was walking in one morning right at daybreak as I had slept in. On my way to the stand I bumped a couple of doe. Suddenly they came charging back as a very large buck appeared hot on their tails. They moved off in the brush so I got my grunt call and grunted a few times and kicked some leaves around. Immediately the buck came right to me and we had a stare down thru the only small tree/bush between myself and him at 5 yards. Finally he moved off and as he got behind a tree I came to full draw. He stepped out perfectly broadside at 20 yards and stopped to look back. I touched off the release only to watch my arrow veer off 10 yards in front of the deer. I heard the buck laughing as he trotted off. I was dumbfounded with the miss but here in my excitement of the hunt I had forget about that grunt tube which had still been in my mouth when I released the arrow. The string caught the tube and ripped it out of my mouth thus causing the arrow to miss so bad!!

That litterally happened to me in 2016 9 yard shot from the ground ripped the grunt out of my mouth.
Crazy what adrenaline will do. I was lucky enough to still land the shot.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:17 am

I missed a nice buck in 1993. I was ground hunting and the buck was moving on by me at 20 yards. I did everything perfectly just as I released the arrow the buck jumped a small ditch the arrow went right under him and between his front and back legs. Excuse or whatever, it happened. I got skunked that year. I think that may have been my only chance at a nice buck the entire grinding season. Sometimes you're only as good as luck allows.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”