Health importance

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cougar

Re: Health importance

Unread postby cougar » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:08 pm

It all starts with diet as mentioned above.
Switch sodas to seltzer waters, lay off cereal and drink your coffee black... Scout with a backpack with a couple healthy snacks and several liters of water in it. gets lighter as you get tired...
as the pounds come off you should get a good boost from feeling better. use your passion for hunting to live a longer healthier life

row row row your boat, gently down the stream ...
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:02 pm

I scout all summer with a 35 pound pack I love shed hunting and scouting and finding setups. I've actually gained twenty pounds in muscle over last 4 years doing it. muscle burns fat and muscle gained scouting is muscle that's used for hunting. and their is nothing better for the soul then quality time with mother nature. I feel so accomplished after every scout and I find and see things nobody else gets to see.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:29 pm

I’m going to go the opposite direction. Have your spouse or someone else call some type of fitness place and make you an appointment. Next, have them set you up on a reoccurring draft for the next 12 months. Have your spouse give them some details of your ailments so they can design some low impact but effective excersises. Lastly, take a photo of yourself naked every 30 days, just dont post them Forget about the diet and concentrate on the exercise. The weight will come off, your eating habits will automatically change and you will actually be healthier instead of just thinner. In essence, Also, explore some fun excersises like Cross fit, boxing or jiu jitsu. All can be tailored to your physique and health conditions.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:40 pm

elk yinzer wrote:My beliefs:

Simple core exercises and flexibility. Squats, pushups, pullups, planks, stretching, no weights needed. A lot of that basic yoga stuff really is legit, and you can do it at home. 15 minutes a day can do wonders.

Be active in everyday life. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk instead of ride if you're a golfer.

Generally the less processed your food is, the better. But moderation and variety. That will outlive any fad diet or conflicting science.

X2
The only thing , and some may disagree, I'd get my eating in order first. Get at least 10 maybe 15 off then start in on the exercise.
It will be considerably easier to stick with when you start feeling better from the initial weight loss.
You're going to need to become more active anyway cause the next 10 or 20 lbs. will be tougher.
It can be a real mind game.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:00 pm

I don't care what anyone says, hunting is a physical "sport". Some styles moreso than others..

Several years ago I battled tuberculosis, mono & scarlet fever for 7 months. Bouncing from hospital to the house twice a week. Lost 70lbs and most of my muscle mass.. that deer season or when I was physically able to, I couldn't hunt further than 150 yards from the truck.

Since then my health has been a top priority for me. It makes a big difference in the deer woods as well.

Drink lots of water, eat mainly eggs, oatmeal, fish/chicken, rice and your veggies. This is 3/4 the battle.

Good luck and stick to it!
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Last year I lost 10lbs a month for 3 months. Lots of water, chicken breast, eggs, broccoli, asparagus, carrots (all steamed veggies). Sweet potatoes. Brown rice, any red meat I wanted. Sardines, tuna. Apples. Yogurt smoothies with berries. Nuts. I had cheat days on weekends. I gave up soda, white rice, bread, and processed foods from the vending machines at work. I did work out a little but most weight loss was from eating clean.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:24 pm

how come nobody said eat a lot of deer meat my doctor told me its the best thing I can eat my diet consists of wild game fish and garden grown vegetables and fruit
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:32 pm

I can vouch for the paleo diet. I had a strange spell of food allergies that only lasted about a month and a half but during that time I had to do that diet. I went from 200 to 175 in that short time. I have a terrible time sticking with a workout. My feelings have been that I could put that energy into something productive and get the work out along with it. I spend alot of time processing firewood scouting and running around the yard with the dog and little boy.
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:38 pm

I think a well rounded diet is the best. I don’t agree with the extreme diets like Atkins diets. I think exercise coupled with a good diet is the healthiest way to lose weight. It takes cutting 3500 calories to lose a pound. So if you scout some and then eat right you’ll lose. Chicken and fish baked is good. Red meat is ok in moderation. Then eat lots of steamed or lightly boiled vegetables. Greens like turnips, collards, kale, broccoli, green beans, lima beans etc you can eat what you want and hardly no calories. Cut out fried stuff including any pan fried meats. Grill or bake things. I ate things like taco salad but no chips. Just lettuce meat cheese tomatoes and hot sauce. Or using lettuce as taco shells. You can also put meats and stuff like fajitas in lettuce leafs. Cut out sweets, soda, fast food

I did this and went from 195 to 175 in a month and a half with moderate or less exercise
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:40 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:how come nobody said eat a lot of deer meat my doctor told me its the best thing I can eat my diet consists of wild game fish and garden grown vegetables and fruit

Deer is excellent meat if cooked right. Fry those cube steaks or back straps in bacon grease and you can forget it lol. On it’s own though it’s great meat.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:46 pm

checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:how come nobody said eat a lot of deer meat my doctor told me its the best thing I can eat my diet consists of wild game fish and garden grown vegetables and fruit

Deer is excellent meat if cooked right. Fry those cube steaks or back straps in bacon grease and you can forget it lol. On it’s own though it’s great meat.

now they are saying bacon grease is not that bad its the fat from carbs meat fat is more digestible the natives from up north live off whale blubber and meat and live a long time its the processed foods that are going to make you sick but it also depends on your body. I think lack of exercise is mankind's biggest killer
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:24 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

now they are saying bacon grease is not that bad its the fat from carbs meat fat is more digestible the natives from up north live off whale blubber and meat and live a long time its the processed foods that are going to make you sick but it also depends on your body. I think lack of exercise is mankind's biggest killer

Well bacon is basically processed. Nitrates and higher salt content. Plus pork is probably the unhealthiest meat for you in general. That’s why I said a rounded diet. Where people go wrong is they only eat red meat and eat a bunch. Or all fried foods and no vegetables. I didnt know what was in the Paleo diet but looked it up and it seems like it’s just a well rounded diet.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:30 pm

How in shape do u have to be to hunt... I know 300 lb 70 year old men who hunt everyday of the season. We are not exactly setting the woods on fire out there. We walk to a stand and sit on our but, walk back out and drive home. Reguardless how the hunting industry portrays tight fitting athletic clothing that's more bs than anything. If u wanna loose weight it's quite simple really burn off more calories then u take in. U don't need videos or gym memberships watch what u eat, don't eat right b4 u go to bed, replace breakfast with a protein shake, no more soda, easy on the booze and no seconds.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:33 pm

a well rounded diet is the way to go just after being physically active you got too exercise all your muscles including your brain hunting beast mode is a great way to do it humans are made for thinking and traveling long distances
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:18 pm

Yep. Between me and my girlfriend we eat about 6 deer a year, including what I give away. Have a 1/4 acre garden, apple trees, peach trees, butcher hogs with the neighbor. Make most of our own food. Can't remember last time I bought meat at a grocery store. It definitely helps.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”