Health importance

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

d_rek

Re: Health importance

Unread postby d_rek » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:04 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:
d_rek wrote:I'm 34 and while not that old a desk job and family life has put a few pounds around the mid section. A gym is out of the question as there is no time for it in my schedule with everything going on with the family and work. After years of arguing with my wife about diet I finally started to cut things out. No sugary junk. No more fast food. Much lower carb intake. Plenty of fresh veggies, fruits, and nuts. I haven't lost any weight, but I stopped putting it on. I also try to tie extracurricular to activities I enjoy - scouting, ice fishing, etc.

I also have a cousin who started doing the ketogenic diet and lost 20 lbs. Sounds like it was a pretty easy diet to get into. Might be worth looking into.

Im on a50 carb a day atkins. It was either keto or atkins.
I just started today. Lol. I just dont have time to exercise
I try to get 10,000 steps in scouting or even walking the bike path where i live. Now you say low carb and you eat fruit. I thought fruit is loaded with carbs? Is this true. I love cantaloupe and honey do i can eat it all day lol. But read and told it is loaded with carbs along with bannanas and any berrys. I do eat salads with chicken but i can not eat them dry i need something. Im gonna to put a program together tonight by scouting everyday somewhere setting up trees for observation spots for next year. And just keep at it. But once greenover comes then summer. Whats the next step? Just walk fields or edges
If im gung ho about somthing im all in and wanna put my exercise routines into my deer scouting stand setting and just overall hunting life but wat to do in summer? Or late spring. ?

I don't follow any specific diet other than what the boss recommends LOL... Mostly she had me cut out empty carbs like starches, noodles, potatoes, breads, etc. I didn't eat a lot of that stuff to begin with so it wasn't too bad. I don't totally avoid it unless i have a hankering for something that specifically calls for a high carb ingredient. And the kids still get a steady diet of mac and cheese and spaghetti on some days... so there's that lol.

"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:06 pm

rfickes87 wrote:Always have plenty of water with you. Lay off the soda/coffee. If I drink nothing but water the day before i hunt i feel so much better. Soda or coffee, man forget it! The next day in the woods im toast.

I need to kick the coffee again, did it once and it was a horrible 3 weeks but felt great once I was done, then is slowly sucked me back in. Something that gives you those kinds of withdrawls can't be good for you, now I am tappering off a little bit and just sticking to water.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:53 pm

I don’t want to sound like I’m a negative guy Lope- but beware of how youn start your new regiment. It needs to be sustainable. Don’t be the new guy in the gym that tries to do everything his first day or week and can’t show up for the next week cuz he’s injured or too sore. Your case would be putting on a bunch of miles right away and not having fun. If your experience isn’t positive and fun it’s not sustainable and you’re not going to be able get to the goals you’ve set for yourself.
From the years I’ve been at the gym I’d have to say that this is the primary reason people don’t continue to go to the gym. They go balls out right away, have a negative experience and quit. Start slow and have fun.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:29 am

Thnks bros
When ive joined s gym before ive done this it’s discouraging. Lift some weights and do little treadmill
Then. Im crippled for 4 days lol. Cant even move
Im gonna just focus on diet snd scout scout scout and find new spots. Im starting a new job hopefully in march too
Heavy equipment operator so that will help too. Keep me moving.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:01 am

I lost 90 lbs over a year and a half once. That was tough.
It all started with a Gazelle machine in my living room, 40 minutes while watching something on the dvr. It was cool once I started to see some of the results of it and it encouraged me to continue. Before long I began to make dietary changes because I was sick of working out so hard and then just putting it all back on with food. Every week or so I would add in some new type of exercise,whether it was cardio or strength training. My wife joined in and we would work out together daily at home (she lost a tremendous amount as well and toned well). We eventually made it a competition, earning points for workouts completed, staying on track eating. Rewards were collected after hours in the candlelight. :whistle: :mrgreen:
With the right motivation, desire, and reward it can make losing weight and getting into shape fun. I just wish I would have stuck with it over a decade ago.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:12 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:I lost 90 lbs over a year and a half once. That was tough.
It all started with a Gazelle machine in my living room, 40 minutes while watching something on the dvr. It was cool once I started to see some of the results of it and it encouraged me to continue. Before long I began to make dietary changes because I was sick of working out so hard and then just putting it all back on with food. Every week or so I would add in some new type of exercise,whether it was cardio or strength training. My wife joined in and we would work out together daily at home (she lost a tremendous amount as well and toned well). We eventually made it a competition, earning points for workouts completed, staying on track eating. Rewards were collected after hours in the candlelight. :whistle: :mrgreen:
With the right motivation, desire, and reward it can make losing weight and getting into shape fun. I just wish I would have stuck with it over a decade ago.

Congratz wow 90 lbs holy 1/2 a person thats is amazing im am positive when i see results i will keep at it. I just wAnt the results tomorrow lol. Ive always been overweight its in my genes my dad was over 290. My brother is over 300 and other brother is about 250-260 like me im 5.10. But those guys are really short 5.6 is the tallest We have big frames up top my legs are rocks. No but. Constant plumbers crack lol All man boobs and belly. Like an egg on stilts lol. I just gotta keep at it. Its hard with me cause i battle so many other things on top of my weight. Thks bros
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:22 am

The exercise part is easy. You said you like to walk. So go walk. Scout. Scout. And scout some more. When that gets too easy. Scout with the stand on your back. The diet part doesn’t have to be complicated either. Eat Meats and veggies, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and NO sugar. That’s just my 0.02
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:51 am

You need a lifestyle change, not a diet, plain and simple. If that needs to start as far diet then so be it, but you'll need to evolve it into something you can maintain. To stay active, and in shape, you'll need to constantly switch things up but your food intake will be pretty similar.

If you can walk, walk, but 3x a week will need to eventually become more. Start a journal thread, the best thing for you is support, and people on here will help you through it. Accept there will be setbacks, but keep your eye on your goal, when yiu reach it get a new one.

My wake up call got me into a gym called Farrels extreme shaping. It sounded lame with group cardio but my wife begged me, and she bribed me with a custom set of grey wolf Woolens. If I dropped the weight they'd fit . Anyway that gym ended up saving me. The support there got me into the gym 6 days a week and severely changed my diet. Sweets, soda, beer, carbs, etc (all the bad stuff) got cut, and it sucked. The other thing was also cutting the good stuff... you can't out work the fork.

Anyway, that gym worked for me, it evolved too other programs but the food intake has been the same. Moderation moderation moderation. Water is the best thing for you. Healthy protein portions that are more green than meat. I went from 3 big meals a day to 6 smaller ones, it keeps you fuller and your metabolism always working. A mix of strength and cardio is best, but work into it slowly, the great wall wasnt built in a day.

Good luck, making a change is more mental then than anything. Having someone(s) to keep you accountable is the most helpful.

Sorry for a jumbled post, I wish you the best.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:06 am

matt1336 wrote:I don’t want to sound like I’m a negative guy Lope- but beware of how youn start your new regiment. It needs to be sustainable. Don’t be the new guy in the gym that tries to do everything his first day or week and can’t show up for the next week cuz he’s injured or too sore. Your case would be putting on a bunch of miles right away and not having fun. If your experience isn’t positive and fun it’s not sustainable and you’re not going to be able get to the goals you’ve set for yourself.
From the years I’ve been at the gym I’d have to say that this is the primary reason people don’t continue to go to the gym. They go balls out right away, have a negative experience and quit. Start slow and have fun.

Yep all kinds of this and what muddy said as well, you are better off starting slow and ramping up once you get in better shape than hitting it hard and quitting. Lifestyle change is the key, no one and strictly diet forever and I think you do way more harm than good when you go all out but can't sustain it. Even now I try not to push it too much because I end up not being able to keep it up, I try to stay fit and healthy but I also try to stay at a level where I can keep this up in my 70's and 80's. Listen to your body, it will tell you when you need a break.

As far as food goes I use to love to stuff myself, now I kind of eat an average meal and chug a couple of glasses of water to help fill me up. In the begining I would still kind of stuff myself but do it with healthy foods. The crazy thing is the less you eat the less you actually need to survive, we all could probably get bu with less. :lol:
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:22 am

My thoughts are track calories and macro nutrients. I also like my fitnesspal because I can track all this on my phone. Diet is very important for weight loss and you'd be surprised at the number if excess calories we can consume in a day. I don't like diets because I feel they are unsustainable and people often end up reverting back. You need to make a lifestyle change you can live with to be successful. I've read books by some natural body builders who recommend starting with 30/30/40 for fat/protein/carbs as far as percentage of calories. You may need to adjust this ratio based on your body type after a few weeks to get your desired results. Exercise is beneficial but again it has to be something you enjoy for you to do it. Some body weight exercisers previously mentioned will also help with bone density as you age and maintain or build some muscle mass. Also don't be concerned as much with weight as body fat. Some people don't lose weight starting out because they are gaining muscle while losing weight so it appears they're not succeeding when in reality they're losing the fat they want and building a better body composition. Finally if you want some motivation to reduce how much junk food you eat try eating a donut and then go run on a treadmill until you burn it all off. That seems to help me especially since I can have a sweet tooth at times. At the end of the day it's your life and health and you don't know what you have until it's gone. I don't always like exercising but I do it for my kids and so I can continue to enjoy God's great outdoors for as long as I can.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:47 am

muddy wrote:You need a lifestyle change, not a diet, plain and simple. If that needs to start as far diet then so be it, but you'll need to evolve it into something you can maintain. To stay active, and in shape, you'll need to constantly switch things up but your food intake will be pretty similar.

If you can walk, walk, but 3x a week will need to eventually become more. Start a journal thread, the best thing for you is support, and people on here will help you through it. Accept there will be setbacks, but keep your eye on your goal, when yiu reach it get a new one.

My wake up call got me into a gym called Farrels extreme shaping. It sounded lame with group cardio but my wife begged me, and she bribed me with a custom set of grey wolf Woolens. If I dropped the weight they'd fit . Anyway that gym ended up saving me. The support there got me into the gym 6 days a week and severely changed my diet. Sweets, soda, beer, carbs, etc (all the bad stuff) got cut, and it sucked. The other thing was also cutting the good stuff... you can't out work the fork.

Anyway, that gym worked for me, it evolved too other programs but the food intake has been the same. Moderation moderation moderation. Water is the best thing for you. Healthy protein portions that are more green than meat. I went from 3 big meals a day to 6 smaller ones, it keeps you fuller and your metabolism always working. A mix of strength and cardio is best, but work into it slowly, the great wall wasnt built in a day.

Good luck, making a change is more mental then than anything. Having someone(s) to keep you accountable is the most helpful.

Sorry for a jumbled post, I wish you the best.

Thnks bro i think the thread if its okay with everyone
Is great idea. Make it a thread for everyone. A beast blog
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:53 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Hey guys its a new year and my hunting equipmaent tactics and thought process has changed for the better as i learn new things and tactics ....
I know this is off topic a bit and i would probably be the last one to talk about or ask about fitness but i need to lose weight and its just impossible for me i have severe ptsd low t and bad back bad knee lmao
I know its very important to be healthy but how in shape is really enough be to hunt?
I worked 20 years at a desk counting keys and inmates 6-8 times a day. And yes i got lazy gained 72 lbs in 20 years im 258 i dont drink or smoke or do illegal drugs ever.
Well im 43 and retired (im lucky and still young )
I will absolutely be honest i hate to exercise ive done it get at it for 2-3 weeks and just get burned out and dread it
then every excuse in the book comes out i try every year so i can be more mobile stong and positive.
I do like to walk. Running is out of the question it kills my back and kills my knees
Anyway. Should we exercise with weights treadmills or whatever equipment is available?
I really wanna lose 50. And im sure some of us are in the same boat.and i wanna get advice from all of us to all of us But how can we use or passion to do this ?
Do i have to go to the gym or break a dvd out at home and bust my but til i cant walk the next day?
Looking to be strong and light. Any info or opinions would be appreciated
Thnks guys im getting to be a real slob lmao

Do the whole 30 diet. Read the book first.

You'll find that it is diet and not exercise that allows weight loss.

I'm 5 yrs older than you - lost 35 pounds on it last year went from 270 to 235 from July-October - down 3 pant sizes - and went on a DIY WY antelope hunt. Once the weight is gone, and you are eating right, the energy returns. Then those walks, runs or whatever you are doing come a lot more easily. I walk - no desire to run. I also have no desire to go to the gym.

The diet turns into a lifestyle if you want it - only one way to lose or maintain your weight - eating.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:44 am

Lopedog699 wrote:I just wAnt the results tomorrow lol

That's the difficult part.
Just remember the extra weight didn't happen over-night.

As mentioned prior, a few tweaks* here and there in what you eat, some additional "exercise" and change will come.

You don't want this to be a chore or something you dread; it will end up being a waste of time and you'll quit.

6 weeks +/-, if you stick to your new lifestyle, 6 weeks and you'll be hooked.
The pants will be slightly looser, walking the lane to get the mail will be easier. Your motivation will change.
Then it all steam-rolls even more in your favor.

Your body is a well-designed machine.
It requires #### calories a day to maintain all functions. Any unused calories get stored as fat (body doesn't know whether its going to go through times of strife and lack of food so it creates a reserve).
Biologically speaking, it is very simple: you cut your caloric intake, and change nothing else you will lose weight. Period.
But that's not how you really want to do it though. Too long to type and explain all the why's and how's out.

The threads here have been a wealth of input.
Types of foods to avoid, foods to eat, some exercise, goals, a support system. That's the ticket to mental and physical health fitness!

The decision now is yours

*You'd be shocked if you counted the extra/unnecessary calories you eat in a day if you were to track it.
Couple handful of nuts, the "just one cookie", extra salad dressing, cup of juice, etc. adds up sooooo quick!
Most of these are wasted (well actually they end up waisted)
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Rich M wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:Hey guys its a new year and my hunting equipmaent tactics and thought process has changed for the better as i learn new things and tactics ....
I know this is off topic a bit and i would probably be the last one to talk about or ask about fitness but i need to lose weight and its just impossible for me i have severe ptsd low t and bad back bad knee lmao
I know its very important to be healthy but how in shape is really enough be to hunt?
I worked 20 years at a desk counting keys and inmates 6-8 times a day. And yes i got lazy gained 72 lbs in 20 years im 258 i dont drink or smoke or do illegal drugs ever.
Well im 43 and retired (im lucky and still young )
I will absolutely be honest i hate to exercise ive done it get at it for 2-3 weeks and just get burned out and dread it
then every excuse in the book comes out i try every year so i can be more mobile stong and positive.
I do like to walk. Running is out of the question it kills my back and kills my knees
Anyway. Should we exercise with weights treadmills or whatever equipment is available?
I really wanna lose 50. And im sure some of us are in the same boat.and i wanna get advice from all of us to all of us But how can we use or passion to do this ?
Do i have to go to the gym or break a dvd out at home and bust my but til i cant walk the next day?
Looking to be strong and light. Any info or opinions would be appreciated
Thnks guys im getting to be a real slob lmao

Do the whole 30 diet. Read the book first.

You'll find that it is diet and not exercise that allows weight loss.

I'm 5 yrs older than you - lost 35 pounds on it last year went from 270 to 235 from July-October - down 3 pant sizes - and went on a DIY WY antelope hunt. Once the weight is gone, and you are eating right, the energy returns. Then those walks, runs or whatever you are doing come a lot more easily. I walk - no desire to run. I also have no desire to go to the gym.

The diet turns into a lifestyle if you want it - only one way to lose or maintain your weight - eating.

Hey rich that is awesome you should be proud its so hard. To lose. What is the 30 diet ?
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:27 am

There is a book called "Whole 30" - you can google it. They explain what your body does when you eat diff stuff. It is not a carb-free kind of deal but instead low sugar and processed foods. Takes some willpower. My saving grace is that I can eat a lot of potatoes.

Guy I work with lost 110# in the past year or so - he's just eating sensible, no special diet but no sugar, low carbs, etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”