Health importance

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: Health importance

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:59 am

matt1336 wrote:Whatever you do it’s gonna be a lifestyle change and it’s gonna suck. It won’t be easy. you’ll have to embrace the suck.

I totally agree with the lifestyle change but it doesn't have to suck, once you start eating and feeling better you won't miss some of those old foods.

Lope this has been covered already but if you like to walk do it, that is a great way to stay active. What you eat is the key, stick with health fruits and veggies and the pounds will melt away. It will take some getting use to at first but once you turn the corner and start feeling better everything else falls into place. I dropped 40lbs 3 years ago and it changed my life, I still cheat every now and then but if you keep the % of health foods around 80-90% its not a problem. As others have mentioned watch the suger, there is sugar in EVERYTHING now a days.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:03 am

Working on losing about 30 myself. Down about 5 since the New Year. One other suggestion is if you don't cook or eat at home most of the time, start. Eating out is really hard to do in a healthy way. I've had a really busy last couple of years at work which has meant more lunches out than I would have liked and probably biggest factor to putting on about 20 pounds.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:58 am

If you drink soda or other sugary drinks, you may be amazed how much weight you can drop and how much better you feel overall, if you stop consuming those drinks. I stopped drinking that stuff years ago, started drinking a gallon of water ever day (which I still do) and lost 25# really quick. Diet can make a big difference in how you feel. Good luck and good huntin to you!
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:18 am

headgear wrote:
matt1336 wrote:Whatever you do it’s gonna be a lifestyle change and it’s gonna suck. It won’t be easy. you’ll have to embrace the suck.

I totally agree with the lifestyle change but it doesn't have to suck, once you start eating and feeling better you won't miss some of those old foods.

Lope this has been covered already but if you like to walk do it, that is a great way to stay active. What you eat is the key, stick with health fruits and veggies and the pounds will melt away. It will take some getting use to at first but once you turn the corner and start feeling better everything else falls into place. I dropped 40lbs 3 years ago and it changed my life, I still cheat every now and then but if you keep the % of health foods around 80-90% its not a problem. As others have mentioned watch the suger, there is sugar in EVERYTHING now a days.

Thanks gear. Im gonna do it
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 am

d_rek wrote:I'm 34 and while not that old a desk job and family life has put a few pounds around the mid section. A gym is out of the question as there is no time for it in my schedule with everything going on with the family and work. After years of arguing with my wife about diet I finally started to cut things out. No sugary junk. No more fast food. Much lower carb intake. Plenty of fresh veggies, fruits, and nuts. I haven't lost any weight, but I stopped putting it on. I also try to tie extracurricular to activities I enjoy - scouting, ice fishing, etc.

I also have a cousin who started doing the ketogenic diet and lost 20 lbs. Sounds like it was a pretty easy diet to get into. Might be worth looking into.

The keto diet is was I mentioned early in this thread, just couldn't remember the name.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 am

headgear wrote:

I shoulda wrote more. Starting out....changing your habits that got you overweight and out of shape, sucks. Embrace the suck and your new habits will become your new normal. I’ve been working out for a lot of years and have been lucky enough to be able to stay in good shape. As a result of being so active, at 40 I have two bad knees and have put on 15-20# in the last 2 years. So now I have to watch what I eat more than I previously did because I can’t run the calories off. I still lift and force myself to do some cardio. What I need to do is embrace the suck and jump in the pool and eat better. Still struggling with those goals.
Lets not sugar coat this guys. This is the beast, not Oprah, we tell it like it isn’t here. Changing habits, breaking out of your comfort zone sucks, it’s not easy. If it was we’d all be walking around in great shape- diabetes wouldn’t be an issue, health care wouldn’t be the huge deal it is cuz we wouldn’t need it as much as we do. It sucks, embrace it. Be disciplined and you will be rewarded and a better person for it.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:37 am

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:Get out and scout marshes & hill country 4-5 days a week. You'll kill two birds with one stone and be in great shape in no time!

When do you find time to work? :lol:

Says the other guy who rarely works :lol:

matt1336 wrote:Whatever you do it’s gonna be a lifestyle change and it’s gonna suck. It won’t be easy. you’ll have toembrace the suck.

Best 3 word quote on the beast. Changing anything sucks. Thats why the general hunting population keeps doing the same thing, hunting the same terrain, and not shooting much for deer. Or why most people quit diets a month into it. If it was easy, everybody would do it.

If hunting marshes and swamps were easy, there wouldn't be big bucks. If losing weight was easy, obesity wouldn't be a problem. And for the record, I am quite a big guy so I know exactly how hard it is to change things. Heck even hunting, I have a hard time changing things, and only have 10 years of bad habits to fix.

The human body can endure quite a bit. Everything holding you back is just between your ears.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:07 am

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:Get out and scout marshes & hill country 4-5 days a week. You'll kill two birds with one stone and be in great shape in no time!

Jonny, as you get older you will realize, "rarely working" is an art form! 8-)

I'm winding down towards retirement ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:09 am

tgreeno wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I only have 40 years to go to get there :lol:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:14 am

Jonny wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:

You misunderstood...I'm not close to retirement...I'm winding down towards it...May take a gradual 6-8 years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:53 am

matt1336 wrote:
headgear wrote:

I shoulda wrote more. Starting out....changing your habits that got you overweight and out of shape, sucks. Embrace the suck and your new habits will become your new normal. I’ve been working out for a lot of years and have been lucky enough to be able to stay in good shape. As a result of being so active, at 40 I have two bad knees and have put on 15-20# in the last 2 years. So now I have to watch what I eat more than I previously did because I can’t run the calories off. I still lift and force myself to do some cardio. What I need to do is embrace the suck and jump in the pool and eat better. Still struggling with those goals.
Lets not sugar coat this guys. This is the beast, not Oprah, we tell it like it isn’t here. Changing habits, breaking out of your comfort zone sucks, it’s not easy. If it was we’d all be walking around in great shape- diabetes wouldn’t be an issue, health care wouldn’t be the huge deal it is cuz we wouldn’t need it as much as we do. It sucks, embrace it. Be disciplined and you will be rewarded and a better person for it.

Well said my brotha
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 pm

hambone wrote:If you drink soda or other sugary drinks, you may be amazed how much weight you can drop and how much better you feel overall, if you stop consuming those drinks. I stopped drinking that stuff years ago, started drinking a gallon of water ever day (which I still do) and lost 25# really quick. Diet can make a big difference in how you feel. Good luck and good huntin to you!

Absolutely, I quit them also. I quit cold turkey. I had with drawls for about a week. I dropped 20 pounds in about 6 months. Going trying to get at 190-195 by end of summer. I'm at 210 right now.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:56 pm

I have issues cramping up, my legs will literally cramp up so bad i can't stand sometimes. I wounded a big buck in rifle season this year and tracked him almost 2 miles one way. I ran out of water and then had to go clear back to get my stand and go a mile a different direction to my truck. It was awful. I was a little scared actually i was going to pass out. I eventually just filled my water bottle up with creek water, lol.

Always have plenty of water with you. Lay off the soda/coffee. If I drink nothing but water the day before i hunt i feel so much better. Soda or coffee, man forget it! The next day in the woods im toast.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Jonny wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Jonny someday when you have 30+ years on a job you too will be able to save all your vacation for the hunting season.

Now get to work young man because all us old guys will depend on you to pay our Social Security. :lol:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Jonny someday when you have 30+ years on a job you too will be able to save all your vacation for the hunting season.

Now get to work young man because all us old guys will depend on you to pay our Social Security. :lol:

And help you drag your bucks? :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”