Health importance

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swamp_donkey

Re: Health importance

Unread postby Swamp_donkey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 am

I've been checking out your youtube videos lately and it looks like you've been putting some miles on scouting lately. Honestly one of the best forms of exercise is walking. Try and spend a few hours a day hiking around in a cattail marsh or where ever else, if you keep it up consistently you'll notice a huge difference faster than you think. If you can find enough places to scout to keep yourself walking daily you'll have the added benefit of scouting many many miles over the course of a year. This will undoubtedly leave you with more sure fire hunting setups. Also bring your saddle, a saw and some climbing gear and you can set up stands as well which is more great exercise. Keep that up all spring and into the summer and you'll most likely end up with a ton of great setups and a few less pounds.

A couple other guys talked about diet and that will play a massive role. I find as long as I'm cooking my food from scratch from whole foods instead of processed or premade foods you'll notice a huge difference in weight loss. You can work out hard for hours a day and if you're eating garbage it will hardly make a difference. Keep pounding ground scouting and try to adjust your diet and you'll be in far better shape for next fall both physically and as far as your knowledge of the deer in your area (s).

EdC

Unread postby EdC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:07 am

+2

scout and eat good healthy food
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:45 am

If you want to lose weight and get in better shape - there is no great secret, magic shake, new machine, magic pill, etc...... there's one tried, true and proven formula... Eat less and move more.... that's it.

As for the specific exercises - do whatever floats your boat. Just make sure you do something. I mix strength training and cardio. If you have bad knees and a bad back you can do cardio on the bike, maybe the elliptical. Honestly I would refrain from walking and opt for something low impact considering the knees..

That's the catch-22 right there though. that extra weight you're carrying - it's probably a big contributor to your knee and back problems. I;ve heard more than a few stories of people dropping significant weight and suddenly their orthopedic health is much improved. Carrying that weight around is bad on your joints and connective tissue.

Even considering your existing health issues - there are exercises you can do. Yea so maybe squats and deadlifts are off the table. But no reason you can't hit the free weights for some good old fashioned dumbbell presses. Or some bench presses, maybe some chest flies, etc. Mix in the bike and elliptical... You can get moving... Combine that with proper nutrition - be VERY careful about the carbs.. Not that you can't or shouldn't have them. But rather know why a sweet potato is a better choice than a white potato. Why whole grain bread is > whole wheat > white. Why sugar is just straight up evil. That sort of thing. Lots of success stories of people dropping mad weight on the keto diet. But you have to be really committed to it.

If hunting motivates you to do so - more power to you. Personally for me - it's a quality of life thing. Like I don't want to have the health problems like bad joints, diabetes, problems with cholesterol etc..
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:33 pm

Thats why i need too lose the wight. My future is what im worried about. The hunting and scouting will and should help big time. I also worry about the whole diseases and ruined back and joints etc. its just somthing i have to do
We just started keyo today. I also scouted 4.5 miles today it feels good. It was also hot as but. 73 degrees
NEbowman

Unread postby NEbowman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:21 pm

I'm fortunate that I haven't struggled with weight issues in my life....yet. But I have struggled with holding myself accountable on other fronts. If I can get some friends and/or family who is interested in whatever it is I want to do on a regular basis I have a much easier time working towards my goals. If I know someone else is counting on me to be there I will always show up, but if it is something I have planned to do just by myself and there is no one else to hold me accountable I might now always follow through with whatever it is I had planned to do. So if you can get other people involved with your scouting or going to the gym and diet, I'm sure it will help keep you motivated. Good luck man!
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:Thats why i need too lose the wight. My future is what im worried about. The hunting and scouting will and should help big time. I also worry about the whole diseases and ruined back and joints etc. its just somthing i have to do
We just started keyo today. I also scouted 4.5 miles today it feels good. It was also hot as but. 73 degrees

Lots of people have success on keto when mixed with exercise. It's a hard diet to commit to though. 35 grams of net carbs per day can be rough. Can't even have a piece of fruit and make it fit the macros. The keto flu can be hard to get through as well. I've never done keto but I understand it lasts a few weeks. I see the diet work for people but man it's a commitment. The one thing to make sure you get enough of when doing keto is the cruciferous veggies. Keto is rough on the liver and those veggies help keep it healthy. Those veggies are about all your daily carb allowance will allow for. Bread, rice, fruit, pasta, sugar..... forget about it. Beer - sorry - not on keto. Maybe you can have 1 michelob ultra if you skip some of the veggies. skipping veggies in lieu of beer is not going to lead to a successful diet though. There's no room for cheat meals in keto. Chicken wings - sounds like it would work but nope - most restaurants bread/flour them before frying. One day outside your carb limit kicks you out of ketosis and it can take a week to get back in. So you have to get on point and stay there.

Lots of recipes on you tube. It's a popular diet right now. I think people like it because it's okay to have a hamburger with thick slices of bacon and cheese - as long as you pass on the bun. But the people I've seen be successful on it are careful about their fat sources as well. The lean on lots of Omega 3s and try to take in less Omega 6s. So - more coconut oil, MCT oil, olive oil, almonds, - less animal fats, peanuts, etc... Keto is also a diet that can cause inflammation. So things like turmeric and other natural anti-inflammatory foods should be part of a successful keto diet.

It ain't easy... Nothing ever worth having is though...
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:14 pm

Health is one thing I have never understood why people don’t put more time and effort into. For me it’s all wild game meats, grass fed beef, vegetables and healthy foods in my diet. Your body is the engine that takes you through this life. The better you take care of it the more you will enjoy life in general, at least that’s my thoughts on it. I really don’t eat store bought foods, no breads, sugars and I don’t eat out at a wide variety of restaurants.

I have ate unhealthy before and there is just no way I would ever go back. When you put good fuel in your body, all cylinders fire like they should. I would also go to say that 80/90 percent of the medications people are on now days could be cut out if they were to just eat healthy natural foods. It’s pretty sad with this go go go lifestyle most live, it’s just easier to grab something on the run.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:48 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:Health is one thing I have never understood why people don’t put more time and effort into. For me it’s all wild game meats, grass fed beef, vegetables and healthy foods in my diet. Your body is the engine that takes you through this life. The better you take care of it the more you will enjoy life in general, at least that’s my thoughts on it. I really don’t eat store bought foods, no breads, sugars and I don’t eat out at a wide variety of restaurants.

I have ate unhealthy before and there is just no way I would ever go back. When you put good fuel in your body, all cylinders fire like they should. I would also go to say that 80/90 percent of the medications people are on now days could be cut out if they were to just eat healthy natural foods. It’s pretty sad with this go go go lifestyle most live, it’s just easier to grab something on the run.

Whats really sad also is that it’s probably almost double the money to eat healthy and clean. There is 5 of us and its not fair to put everyone on a diet just cause my chunk but cant push away from the dinner table
I hope it works. I just gotta set my mind and get the determination i have found for hunting and apply it to lifestyle diet change
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:
Bowhunter4life wrote:Health is one thing I have never understood why people don’t put more time and effort into. For me it’s all wild game meats, grass fed beef, vegetables and healthy foods in my diet. Your body is the engine that takes you through this life. The better you take care of it the more you will enjoy life in general, at least that’s my thoughts on it. I really don’t eat store bought foods, no breads, sugars and I don’t eat out at a wide variety of restaurants.

Whats really sad also is that it’s probably almost double the money to eat healthy and clean. There is 5 of us and its not fair to put everyone on a diet just cause my chunk but cant push away from the dinner table
I hope it works. I just gotta set my mind and get the determination i have found for hunting and apply it to lifestyle diet change

Your definitely right there, it is very expensive to buy a lot of healthy foods from the stores. For me it is cheaper tho because all meats in my house are all wild game meats except for occasionally will buy a little beef or pork. So the other idems we buy from the store really doesn’t total up to a lot when considering the price of the meat my freezer is full of. I never liked the word diet and don’t really view it as ever being on one, to me, it’s a lifestyle. Think about your future and your family, many more healthy years spent enjoying them if you can take care of yourself. Hang in there and best of luck to you.
Bearpawon

Unread postby Bearpawon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:29 am

I used to think getting in shape meant weightlifting and heavy excercise, and that more is better. Nowadays I think its a balance of 3 things: excercise, rest+recovery, and food.

If you excercise, it’s taxing on your body. It doesn’t get you in shape to just do a bunch of weightlifting etc. Your body now needs to take in food to replace the spent energy as well as repair itself. It also needs high quality rest to have an opportunity to heal (long deep sleeps, naps).

If you can balance these 3 then your body may adapt to the increased workload and heal and repair in time for your next workout. If you don’t balance them (too much excercise or not enough food or not enough rest etc.) then you won’t recover properly and you’ll just get burnt out.

Your hormone levels play a big part in this too. If your testosterone levels are really low, then you won’t recover as quickly as someone with higher levels. That’s why steroids are so important to serious athletes, it helps them recover so fast that they can train 2x more than the other guy and not get burnt out.

In my opinion, you need to stay away from the weights if you have joint problems. Instead, do some sort of stretching program like yoga and do a ton of scouting (walking and hiking in the fresh air) constantly.

Take a good quality supplement for your joints. Glucosamine and chondriton are cheap stuff that really help with that. I take a multivatiman called orange triad that has them in it and it’s helped my joints a lot.

Make sure you sleep good and nap as much as you possibly can. Another supplement called ZMA which is zinc, magnesium, and a b vitamin can help you get deeper sleeps if you take it before bed while boosting your hormone levels a bit too.

Diet wise try eat smaller meals more often. You can still eat tasty stuff, just try stay away from all the deep fried stuff to start. Eat a wide variety of foods (so you get a wide variety of vitamins and dont get sick of eating the same things over and over) and make it tasty. Finding tasty foods that are reasonably healthy is huge if you want to stick with this.

Every meal should have a some protein, some carbohydrates, some fats, and a bit of veggies or fruits preferably raw.

The best protein is wild game in my opinion. Deer, bear etc. Then you’ve got your chicken, beef, pork, eggs, fish and seafood. Seafood like oysters has zinc which helps your test levels by the way, eat the frsh stuff not the canned in vegetable oil ones.

Good carbs are oatmeal, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, grains, beans. Try figure out some recipes with this.

Good fats are mostly found in seafood and fish, bone marrows, eggs, animal fats, grass fed dairy, and nuts. Vegetable oil is garbage. Try get some of those in your diet. I usually cook with rendered goose fat which can be bought at most German stores for a reasonable price.

Salads are straight forward, vegetables and homemade ranch dip, fresh fruit, veggies in a stew.

Some healthier meals may be an omelette with a piece of fruit and oatmeal or toast. Or make a homemade stew, or homemade chilli, or a seafood rice, or some sweet potatoes with butter and sour cream plus a pice of meat plus a small salad etc. Learning to be a decent cook might make or break this for you
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:35 am

Yep completely agree, health was an afterthought most of my life but now I try and put it the top of my priority list. Most food that the majority of americans eat is slowly killing us, now I try and turn that around and stick to food that help heal my body. Like you said keep it as natural as possible, like you said lots of wild game and fruits/veggies.
NEbowman

Unread postby NEbowman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:43 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:Thats why i need too lose the wight. My future is what im worried about. The hunting and scouting will and should help big time. I also worry about the whole diseases and ruined back and joints etc. its just somthing i have to do

Lots of people have success on keto when mixed with exercise. It's a hard diet to commit to though. 35 grams of net carbs per day can be rough. Can't even have a piece of fruit and make it fit the macros. The keto flu can be hard to get through as well. I've never done keto but I understand it lasts a few weeks. I see the diet work for people but man it's a commitment. The one thing to make sure you get enough of when doing keto is the cruciferous veggies. Keto is rough on the liver and those veggies help keep it healthy. Those veggies are about all your daily carb allowance will allow for. Bread, rice, fruit, pasta, sugar..... forget about it. Beer - sorry - not on keto. Maybe you can have 1 michelob ultra if you skip some of the veggies. skipping veggies in lieu of beer is not going to lead to a successful diet though. There's no room for cheat meals in keto. Chicken wings - sounds like it would work but nope - most restaurants bread/flour them before frying. One day outside your carb limit kicks you out of ketosis and it can take a week to get back in. So you have to get on point and stay there.

Lots of recipes on you tube. It's a popular diet right now. I think people like it because it's okay to have a hamburger with thick slices of bacon and cheese - as long as you pass on the bun. But the people I've seen be successful on it are careful about their fat sources as well. The lean on lots of Omega 3s and try to take in less Omega 6s. So - more coconut oil, MCT oil, olive oil, almonds, - less animal fats, peanuts, etc... Keto is also a diet that can cause inflammation. So things like turmeric and other natural anti-inflammatory foods should be part of a successful keto diet.

It ain't easy... Nothing ever worth having is though...

I'm not sure what this keto thing is, but you sure make it sound terrible, haha.
Bearpawon

Unread postby Bearpawon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:27 am

NEbowman wrote:I'm not sure what this keto thing is, but you sure make it sound terrible, haha.

In a nutshell, Protein repairs muscles which builds them up. Carbohydrates are used for energy. Fat is used for energy as well other things like good brain functions and good hormones.

Most people get most of their energy from carbohydrates. Keto is when you stop eating carbohydrates and choose fat as your main energy source. Think of an Eskimo who eats mainly seal blubber and meat and fish or the old natives who ate a lot of buffalo and meat. No bread no problem for them, but they need to eat lots of fat as that’s now their primary energy fuel source. Here’s a decent video on nutrition

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5zF8DrlVmM4
NEbowman

Unread postby NEbowman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Bearpawon wrote:
NEbowman wrote:I'm not sure what this keto thing is, but you sure make it sound terrible, haha.

In a nutshell, Protein repairs muscles which builds them up. Carbohydrates are used for energy. Fat is used for energy as well other things like good brain functions and good hormones.

Most people get most of their energy from carbohydrates. Keto is when you stop eating carbohydrates and choose fat as your main energy source. Think of an Eskimo who eats mainly seal blubber and meat and fish or the old natives who ate a lot of buffalo and meat. No bread no problem for them, but they need to eat lots of fat as that’s now their primary energy fuel source. Here’s a decent video on nutrition

Thanks for the quick overview. It doesn't sound nearly as bad when put that way. Seems like in our culture that diet could be very difficult without supplemental vitamins. Unless you are actually eating whole animals: boiling collagen out of joints, bone marrow, internal organs, etc.
Bearpawon

Unread postby Bearpawon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:07 pm

NEbowman wrote:
Bearpawon wrote:

Thanks for the quick overview. It doesn't sound nearly as bad when put that way. Seems like in our culture that diet could be very difficult without supplemental vitamins. Unless you are actually eating whole animals: boiling collagen out of joints, bone marrow, internal organs, etc.

You might be right. Pemmican for your snacks on the road too https://www.westonaprice.org/health-top ... americans/

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”