Health importance

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Health importance

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:35 am

Rich M wrote:There is a book called "Whole 30" - you can google it. They explain what your body does when you eat diff stuff. It is not a carb-free kind of deal but instead low sugar and processed foods. Takes some willpower. My saving grace is that I can eat a lot of potatoes.

Guy I work with lost 110# in the past year or so - he's just eating sensible, no special diet but no sugar, low carbs, etc.

Ok rich ill check it out dr wants me to lose 40. I wanna lose 60 though. Thnks

Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 am

headgear wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:Always have plenty of water with you. Lay off the soda/coffee. If I drink nothing but water the day before i hunt i feel so much better. Soda or coffee, man forget it! The next day in the woods im toast.

I need to kick the coffee again, did it once and it was a horrible 3 weeks but felt great once I was done, then is slowly sucked me back in. Something that gives you those kinds of withdrawls can't be good for you, now I am tappering off a little bit and just sticking to water.

I drink alot of coffee probably 4-6 cups a day if not more always wondered what would it do to me if i quit coffee
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 am

I just turned 50, so for me lots and lots of walking, lifting 3 times a week and keto diet allows me to keep up the hunting beast lifestyle.
I plan on doing this for as long as I can.
JusPassinThru

Unread postby JusPassinThru » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:14 am

I'm still young and in my prime years so it's much easier for me to lose weight, but like you I hate exercising. What works for me is tricking myself to workout by doing activities I'm passionate about. I love to scout and I live in bluff country so spending 2-3 hours scaling bluffs..I'm basically killing two birds with one stone. I also don't feel as bad spending that amount of time scouting when I could've been studying for exams because I got a solid workout in at the same time. I hate running, but I love to play basketball so what I'll do is go shoot hoops which takes my mind off the running part. Also eating healthy is a huge part too, but that always seems to be the most difficult part....
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Bonehead wrote:I just turned 50, so for me lots and lots of walking, lifting 3 times a week and keto diet allows me to keep up the hunting beast lifestyle.

Me and my wife are starting the keto this coming monday and actually are going to put it on you tube on my channel so keep your eye out on my channel for it
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:36 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
Bonehead wrote:I just turned 50, so for me lots and lots of walking, lifting 3 times a week and keto diet allows me to keep up the hunting beast lifestyle.

Me and my wife are starting the keto this coming monday and actually are going to put it on you tube on my channel so keep your eye out on my channel for it

Good luck! I’ve been on lazy keto since August. I feel so much better.
Look forward to seeing your progress.
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:05 am

Babshaft wrote:A good friend of mine said something that helped me lose 50 lbs:

"You can't outrun the spoon."

He was right. Healthy eating had way more impact on body composition than any kind of exercise did.

There's a million different "diets" or styles of eating out there that'll work to help someone lose weight. They all create the same thing: a calorie deficit. If you burn more than you eat, you lose weight. Find one that works the best for you brother!

I like that advice. In need it.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:13 am

Lopedog699 wrote:

That first week or ten days is a bear. Coming off of sugar/carbs is a head crusher. You're gonna have some headaches but you'll know when you are in keto. Your breath will smell like death. But it works. I pulled it off for awhile. The big thing is planning it out with meals so your not standing there looking in the fridge or pantry looking for something to eat. Every night though I would have a bowl of ricotta cheese with frozen blue berries that I thawed out for a minute in the microwave and put some stevia extract on it. At this point I like it better than ice cream. It's a heck of a way though to use up that venison. If you have a freezer full of meat that's half the battle right there.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:43 am

Good luck, keto works and isn't that tough to do if you support around you. Wife doing it also will be a big help.

Little advice is to weigh in only once a week and same time weekly.

You will see some goofy shifts doing this the first few weeks.

I know three guys doing keto that have lost at least 50 to 70lbs in 6-8 months.

My own losses have reached 30 lbs but put some back on as i wrestle with quitting smoking. I reward with some sugars vs grabbing a cigarette. Will end this after a tough work assignment in March.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:32 am

I've been, at times, either 'all in' or 'all out' w/regards to exercise/diet.

- All in = strict paleo and crossfit 6x per week and a rest day
- All out = eat whatever I want and rarely lift or get my heart rate up

Here's what I find works, and that I can maintain consistency with:

Exercise: 3-4 times per week a rigorous workout like crossfit (heavy weights and high heart rate) and 1-2 times a week moderate activity (light jog/walk 3 miles or so at slower, conversational pace). Any more, at age 46, and my body begins to breaks down.

Diet: 80-85% of the time I ask - Does it come from the earth or does it have a mother? If the answer is yes, I eat it w/out regards or limits. If answer is no, I limit it to the 15-20%.

I've learned that will power is NOT on will call (for me) and the more brocolli/carrots I eat ....the closer I am to Pizza/Cheeseburgers! And I allow myself to have those things w/out guilt (15%-20%). It's clearly not for everyone but it helps me make better decisions more times than not. Over a year I believe that puts me further ahead.

Here's what I know from experience and observation - you have to find what works for you and is something that you can maintain consistently. Being consistent at anything is better than binging for a short time and giving up because the bar is set too high.

Just my $.02
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:41 am

My wife plans to start the Keto diet based on some recommendations from our friends. I'm going to do it with her to support her. ;)
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:10 am

by now you probably got a lot of advice about what I call hunter gatherer types of diets

I'll tell you an experience I had and kept to it the rest of my life

about 20 plus years ago the big thing was a high fiber diet
so my wife and myself became vegetarians in just over a year we both gained over 40 lbs eating a grain type/carb diet because it was high fiber

once I realized my body type could not handle this type of food
I went back to what I normally eat
high protein/fat and greens/fruit and reduced the carbs

in just over a month naturally no diet no exercise

I went from 225 back to what I normally weigh of 170
it proved to me we have certain body types for how we handle foods

so now when I see I am starting to gain weight I just look over what changed and normally it is pretty simple to pick up
for example
wife and myself started drinking wine daily because of the things they say are good for you
over a period of a couple months both of us started to gain weight, modified the consumption an both went back to normal weight
when you look at it in detail this is a highly modified carb and my body type can only handle moderate amounts of carbs
it's a more complex issue because you have to look at the whole to understand why you gain weight

so if you look over what you eat, I am pretty sure you will see that certain foods don't agree with you and you gain weight

this is why paleo/keto etc... do so well for a lot of us because we are of a hunter/gather type of body type

certain body types are agrarian, Asians generally can handle more carbs than the hunter/gatherer types
I was told their intestines are longer to handle the massive amounts of carbs they consume on a daily basis
and when they go on a high fat/protein types of diets they generally tend to gain weight

as far as exercise goes it doesn't hurt
being hunters and outdoors people we generally will get enough exercise and from what I have seen you doing
those scouting trips will help you in your needs for exercise, just don't stop being active
Last edited by EdC on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:25 am

I just wanted to chime in one more time

the weight loss issue from my experience is not about calories
it's about metabolizing your food

example
friend of my wife stayed with us one summer
he ate the same foods we did all summer
he had 2nd's and third's all the time and we always finished it up with some ice cream every night

he lost 90lbs in 90 days just by eating foods he could metabolized
went back to California ended back on high carbs/white flower products gained it all back

so the whole weight loss concept in IMHO is not about calorie deficiency it's about what the body can metabolize
and what is it going to do with it, make muscle or store fat

so take a close look at what you eat, I am sure you will see a pattern
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
Cohactah

Unread postby Cohactah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:50 am

For the op..

My mom had a heart attack about 10 months ago and when I was 21 so.. 11 years ago I had heart surgery.. my father has diabetes.. as I got into my late 20s and turning 30 i started becoming anxiety ridden and really worried about my health and those around me. As i researched health what I've found is that the health industry is a multi-billion dollar industry and everyone is trying to sell you somthing.. bc of this the amount of misinformation out there is unbelievable and there is a diet for everything literally.. what I found is "diets" don't work. I went as far as trying being vegan for about 8 months, what i found is most important is eating healthy whole foods.. staying away from processed food (thats where all the chemicals are). Most thing that come in a box or a bag and a pre-made pre cooked are terrible for you.. Number 2 exercising! start small and find a buddy to do it with. Me and my mom started going to the gym after her heart attack. She had gained slot of weight sitting around after the attack and the medicine they put you on. 3 months later she's shedding weight.

I HATE to say it but nothing is going to magically make you healthy your going to need to put in the work. You can lose some weight changing how you eat but there has to be action or reason for your body to use up it's stores of fat. Just eating less can actually make your body go into a fat storing mode thinking your going into a time of famine.. you need to train your body into burning fat to gain muscle. A lot of weight watchers and other programs where you lose 10lbs in a week all that is, is water weight. Stay away from a scale for the first 6 months take body measurements with a tape as your burning fat and gaining muscle your body size will change but the weight won't you may gain weight for a few months until your muscle gains slow.

Buy a gym membership this will hold you accountable and if your ashamed, have anxiety, or embarrassed about going, go somewhere like planet fitness at 5am nobody is there and those that are, are in the same boat and are more than willing to help..everyone in the gym is there for the same thing to make themselves better.. dedication goes so far, you gotta push yourself each day, tell yourself why your doing this. You want to be able to scout and get on that big buck a few miles back and be able to drag it out without falling down dead :lol:
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:36 am

mnswamphunter wrote:
Babshaft wrote:A good friend of mine said something that helped me lose 50 lbs:

"You can't outrun the spoon."

He was right. Healthy eating had way more impact on body composition than any kind of exercise did.

There's a million different "diets" or styles of eating out there that'll work to help someone lose weight. They all create the same thing: a calorie deficit. If you burn more than you eat, you lose weight. Find one that works the best for you brother!

I like that advice. In need it.

Cheers brother. I need to be reminded of it all the time myself. I'm guilty of letting things slide on the eating side and then trying to work it off. If I run for an hour I burn ~750 calories...or the equivalent of the 3 donuts I just ate lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”