All day sits 2017' Yourself?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

All DAY Sits how many did you put in this year?

Only 1
16%
10%
11%
8%
8%
1%
More than 6
16%
Not one.
31%

Total votes: 90
Bedbug

Re: All day sits 2017' Yourself?

Unread postby Bedbug » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:17 am

First Sit wrote:
Bedbug wrote:
First Sit wrote:Only did one this year. I think all day sits during the right times, in the right locations, and done PROPERLY are awesome. Their is a huge difference in doing a all day sit and doing it with all those 3 things right the difference is night and day.

I did one this year and killed a nice 4.5 yr old on it on heavily hunted public, had some smaller bucks come by as well.

I get where your coming from. Would you care to elaborate on what you consider the right times, location and your advice on doing it properly?

The right way is very complicated because it can cover many difference scenarios. All day sits are not just for Rut I've had good encounters in late season as well during snow. I will use my buck this year as on scenario.

The area I was hunting is a primary bedding area in a marsh which includes both buck and doe beds. The cover is a mix of marsh grasses, various types of trees, and red dogwood. The wind on this day was south which I know is the wind that the deer esp bucks like to use this bedding area. Timing of this hunt was Nov 11 rut phase in my area. I knew bucks would be interested in checking does and thus would be posted up scenting them as they came back to bedding and also would have a high chance to moving late morning from those areas they were checking if no does were found pretty much offering me a shot or moving mid day to check areas within the bedding offering me yet another shot. Also once does move in the evening they would most likely be behind them if the first two didn't work. On this hunt it was evening when I had the opp and buck moving slightly behind the doe which he bedded with all day.

The deer feed in 2 corn fields about 1/4 mile away and oaks right on the south side of the bedding. Any entrance from the south, east, or west would bump deer, the north side has a ton of water a lot of it over my head. I snuck in along the very edge of water often times crawling on hands and knees through the very little land available and I made a big loop to enter from the north from parking area as not to bump any deer. I was also settled into my stand 2 hours before shooting light as I need to be in the area and quiet before the deer entered back in. Often times the first to arrive are mature bucks that post up and scent does as they trickle back in. My set up on S winds is bomb proof the deer feel very secure as they have perfect wind as its blowing from where all the hunters walk and also hunt. My wind blows over open water and my entrance never goes to where they are going to walk. This area is tough to hunt on just evenings because of how the entrance relates to the beds some beds are only 20 feet from where I'm crawling but they don't walk through where I'm crawling and S winds blow my ground scent over water which is why morning evtrances are awesome. I've hunted it a few times in evening only and killed a good buck and had another opp on another hunt but its very very hard to get to the trees I need to be for the best wind for the area not to mention in this area an opp can come anytime during rut phases. Before the beaver dam made the water about double in depth I was able to sneak right through the water avoiding walking near any beds now I can't. I almost did a hat floater this year trying to get in there.

On this hunt all deer where bedded and stopped moving 30 min before shooting light not uncommon but its also not uncommon for deer to move again any time of day. Sometimes you also get an opp right at first light. You can't bump the deer your going to hunt on your entrance this could mean walking an extra mile or even through a lake. You also need to be in an area deer will feel comfortable moving throughout the day, and in a location conducive to the time of year you are hunting. Depending on the amount of pressure the deer in your area get this could vary.

Great example and explanation. Thank you for taking the time! I personally take away alot from detailed scenarios like this.
I Know of a few spots surprisingly similar they would be high odd hunts but only if hunted the way you explained.
I'll be putting a fine tooth comb to them this spring scouting.

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:34 am

Usually I do a few but this year I didn't do any this year. Some slow days I did some mid day scouting instead.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:10 am

I think I did 3. One opening day in Michigan and Pennsylvania gun seasons and another in Michigan.

That's really low for me.

Bought a house and went through the process during archery season..then moved during gun season. Work pretty straight 2nd shift..even on my days off, my body likes to stay on it's routine so getting up is tough lol.

All 3 days I saw deer that I wouldn't have had I not sat all day.

All day sits can be brutal. Especially if you aren't seeing much. But, it only takes a second to completely change your season.

Last year was a good example. Halloween day. Sat in a spot I hadn't touched in a month and a half. Climbed the tree my camera was in and was shaking my head in disbelief at the bucks that have been coming by. Early evening a long beard came by and I dropped him. 45mins later, a buck came in and gave me a shot.

I like sitting all day if obligations dont play a role, weather and conditions are right, etc. I've done them even earlier in the season. I've seen a few mature bucks midday when they "shouldn't" have been moving prior to the rut...
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:14 am

I can't really answer. I've been in the mountains from dark to dark, but I never ever sit except to eat lunch. As a still hunter, i'm always moving slow.
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:42 am

I did 11 this year. Lone wolf Assault.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:33 pm

I killed a buck at 2:15 in the afternoon this year...and that was like buck 4 or 5 for the sit and I got in at 1230 or so...kept thinking to myself I missed alot earlier in the day.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Kraftd wrote:Probably average 2-6, but none this year. Killed a buck at 2 pm of what would have been my first. I've had good luck historically killing on planned all days its based largely on planning them for the right weather/time/spot. Had two or three 10 am to dark sits too.

I think this will have to be my plan this coming season. Having a kid and being on stand a full day can cause a bit of a ruckus so I'm thinking about getting out of my comfort zone and skipping that first light sit to be in for the 10-2 shift and the the evening
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm

I saw a couple 11:30 bucks during the rut last season. I really like the 10 to dark sits! You don't feel so exhausted hunting the next day. I will be sitting more middays during the rut this season!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:59 pm

northeast beast wrote:
Kraftd wrote:Probably average 2-6, but none this year. Killed a buck at 2 pm of what would have been my first. I've had good luck historically killing on planned all days its based largely on planning them for the right weather/time/spot. Had two or three 10 am to dark sits too.

I think this will have to be my plan this coming season. Having a kid and being on stand a full day can cause a bit of a ruckus so I'm thinking about getting out of my comfort zone and skipping that first light sit to be in for the 10-2 shift and the the evening

During the rut these are often my most productive sits. For several years I have been getting the kids to school or daycare then hunting until dark and picking them up. Gets me to the woods between 9-10 usually right when cruising picks up. I've shown up bloody to pick-up four times now! Also gets me lots of stand time without pushing the wife too hard and opens up weekends for venturing a little further because of it.

A tip, a room full of 4 year olds at daycare will think you are the coolest dad ever if you show up in camo and face-paint for pick-up. The otherparents will think you are a stark raving lunatic and give you a wide birth!
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:16 pm

I did 5 this year which includes gun season. That is a low for me as I usually do a minimum of 10 or so. To be honest I just wasn't feeling it this past season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”