All day sits 2017' Yourself?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

All DAY Sits how many did you put in this year?

Only 1
16%
10%
11%
8%
8%
1%
More than 6
16%
Not one.
31%

Total votes: 90
Kraftd
500 Club

Re: All day sits 2017' Yourself?

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:13 am

Probably average 2-6, but none this year. Killed a buck at 2 pm of what would have been my first. I've had good luck historically killing on planned all days its based largely on planning them for the right weather/time/spot. Had two or three 10 am to dark sits too.

Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:12 am

I honestly don't think I have ever sat in one location for an entire day. For years I was an afternoon/after work hunter so that was how I had the majority of my hunts. Now that I have a new career and a family I just don't have the time to do an all day sit.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:31 am

so far 3
I have 4 hunting days left EOM
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:06 am

I did 8 all day sits which is about average unless I kill one early in the rut.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:24 am

I did only one. That was my hunt in northern WI. I would have been in the tree all day for 4 days straight but the trip was cut short.

I enjoyed every second of that one though!
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:59 am

Only did one this year. I think all day sits during the right times, in the right locations, and done PROPERLY are awesome. Their is a huge difference in doing a all day sit and doing it with all those 3 things right the difference is night and day.

I did one this year and killed a nice 4.5 yr old on it on heavily hunted public, had some smaller bucks come by as well.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:00 am

I spent all of one day on a property this year. Though I didn't spend the entire time in one location on the property. I did come down at lunch time and walked out to the car and grabbed a bite to eat before going in, scouting and changing locations. Got covered in does ans fawns in the pm so made the trip worth it. (Got to bounce milkweed off a does face for around 3 minutes at 15 yards!)
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:51 am

First Sit wrote:Only did one this year. I think all day sits during the right times, in the right locations, and done PROPERLY are awesome. Their is a huge difference in doing a all day sit and doing it with all those 3 things right the difference is night and day.

I did one this year and killed a nice 4.5 yr old on it on heavily hunted public, had some smaller bucks come by as well.

I get where your coming from. Would you care to elaborate on what you consider the right times, location and your advice on doing it properly?
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Zero for me if you consider "one stand" an all day sit. During the rut morning and mid day when I'm strategically setting up downwind of doe bedding if I'm there for 3-4 hours and get the gut feeling that there are no does near my set up I'll move. I know many hunters do well from 11-2 but it has never worked out for me.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:28 pm

I did 5 dark to dark. However I did many where I got in the stand a few hours after first light and then sat til dark.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
oldrank wrote:I think I only did 1. Usually I do alot more but didn't need to this year. I killed my 12 point 2 hours into my rutcation. That ended my season pretty much. Usually I do my all day sits then.

Show off! :lol:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now n then.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:37 am

I hunted deer 4 or 5 days, 2 were full day hunts in 80+ degree temps in December.

I hunted antelope 2 days and 1 was a full day.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 am

Did three dark to dark but I do move around bedding/funnel/bedding so that helps break up the day. I also did about 3 days where I slept in and went out about 8/9 and hunted until dark.
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:38 am

Bedbug wrote:
First Sit wrote:Only did one this year. I think all day sits during the right times, in the right locations, and done PROPERLY are awesome. Their is a huge difference in doing a all day sit and doing it with all those 3 things right the difference is night and day.

I get where your coming from. Would you care to elaborate on what you consider the right times, location and your advice on doing it properly?

The right way is very complicated because it can cover many difference scenarios. All day sits are not just for Rut I've had good encounters in late season as well during snow. I will use my buck this year as on scenario.

The area I was hunting is a primary bedding area in a marsh which includes both buck and doe beds. The cover is a mix of marsh grasses, various types of trees, and red dogwood. The wind on this day was south which I know is the wind that the deer esp bucks like to use this bedding area. Timing of this hunt was Nov 11 rut phase in my area. I knew bucks would be interested in checking does and thus would be posted up scenting them as they came back to bedding and also would have a high chance to moving late morning from those areas they were checking if no does were found pretty much offering me a shot or moving mid day to check areas within the bedding offering me yet another shot. Also once does move in the evening they would most likely be behind them if the first two didn't work. On this hunt it was evening when I had the opp and buck moving slightly behind the doe which he bedded with all day.

The deer feed in 2 corn fields about 1/4 mile away and oaks right on the south side of the bedding. Any entrance from the south, east, or west would bump deer, the north side has a ton of water a lot of it over my head. I snuck in along the very edge of water often times crawling on hands and knees through the very little land available and I made a big loop to enter from the north from parking area as not to bump any deer. I was also settled into my stand 2 hours before shooting light as I need to be in the area and quiet before the deer entered back in. Often times the first to arrive are mature bucks that post up and scent does as they trickle back in. My set up on S winds is bomb proof the deer feel very secure as they have perfect wind as its blowing from where all the hunters walk and also hunt. My wind blows over open water and my entrance never goes to where they are going to walk. This area is tough to hunt on just evenings because of how the entrance relates to the beds some beds are only 20 feet from where I'm crawling but they don't walk through where I'm crawling and S winds blow my ground scent over water which is why morning evtrances are awesome. I've hunted it a few times in evening only and killed a good buck and had another opp on another hunt but its very very hard to get to the trees I need to be for the best wind for the area not to mention in this area an opp can come anytime during rut phases. Before the beaver dam made the water about double in depth I was able to sneak right through the water avoiding walking near any beds now I can't. I almost did a hat floater this year trying to get in there.

On this hunt all deer where bedded and stopped moving 30 min before shooting light not uncommon but its also not uncommon for deer to move again any time of day. Sometimes you also get an opp right at first light. You can't bump the deer your going to hunt on your entrance this could mean walking an extra mile or even through a lake. You also need to be in an area deer will feel comfortable moving throughout the day, and in a location conducive to the time of year you are hunting. Depending on the amount of pressure the deer in your area get this could vary.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:59 am

headgear wrote:Did three dark to dark but I do move around bedding/funnel/bedding so that helps break up the day. I also did about 3 days where I slept in and went out about 8/9 and hunted until dark.

I have been doing more of these is recent years. I’m generally only good for 2-3 straight all day sits before I start losing focus. Sleeping in one morning and heading out at 8-9 am will do wonders.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”