NY hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wanabhunter

NY hunters

Unread postby Wanabhunter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Went out shed hunting, has anyone found any? I didn't find any and was wondering if it was too early ?

The property i was on in a no hunting zone as its within the city limits which leads me to the next issue. I found a treestand in this no hunting zone and was wondering what you guys would do?

Mathewshooter

Re: NY hunters

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Wanabhunter wrote:Went out shed hunting, has anyone found any? I didn't find any and was wondering if it was too early ?

The property i was on in a no hunting zone as its within the city limits which leads me to the next issue. I found a treestand in this no hunting zone and was wondering what you guys would do?

I was out when it was warm last week and didnt find any but I never have luck finding them anyhow. The area I looked was loaded with tracks but when I pulled my camera there was only a bunch of does on it. I dont know if the bucks hang with the does in winter or not? The spot was loaded with bucks during bow season. As for the treestand...call the DEC
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 am

The treestand? Well thats up to you but take no offense but
Are you allowed in there?
Is it behind a guys house or development?
And do you hunt there? Or is it really bothering anyone?
Why cant you hunt there? Saftey zones? Are you envious because he or she hunts there? Alot of pieces of ground our government likes to put idiotic rules and regulations on. Pushed by anti hunters.the nature conservancy here is off the hook with rules and regs to hunt. They almost have to walk you to your stand in order to hunt on their properties beast hunting would be impossible on their lands. The question is why is hunting not allowed there? And who made the restriction for thst area. As for calling on that guy hunting. Why would you? If you were in there dont think anyone else isnt going through there either. There is always someone somewhere. Maybe if you see him remind him of this rule rather than calling the the man and ratting on him. It might be some young kid who just wants to try to hunting and doesnt realize he is in the wrong Who knows. if i were you i would let it be. If its meant for him or her to get caught its meant to be. But it if i was in your shoes. It wouldnt be by me ratting on someone for petty things I was drilled for years. NEVER RAT! EVER on anyone its karma it will come back too you one day. In the long run you will think ughhhh why did i get involved. Should have kept my mouth shut
My point is why get invobled the dramma is not worth it bro. ( of course unless there is serious poaching or serious laws being broken repeatedly leave alone it bro. If you and him were there he will get himself caught in due time anyway. Good luck
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 am

they are dropping in NJ everyplace so id say its shed bed season
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Wanabhunter

Unread postby Wanabhunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:03 am

Lopedog699 wrote:The treestand? Well thats up to you but take no offense but
Why cant you hunt there? Saftey zones? Are you envious because he or she hunts there? Alot of pieces of ground our government likes to put idiotic rules and regulations on. Pushed by anti hunters.the nature conservancy here is off the hook with rules and regs to hunt. They almost have to walk you to your stand in order to hunt on their properties beast hunting would be impossible on their lands. The question is why is hunting not allowed there? And who made the restriction for thst area. As for calling on that guy hunting. Why would you? If you were in there dont think anyone else isnt going through there either. There is always someone somewhere. Maybe if you see him remind him of this rule rather than calling the the man and ratting on him. It might be some young kid who just wants to try to hunting and doesnt realize he is in the wrong Who knows. if i were you i would let it be. If its meant for him or her to get caught its meant to be. But it if i was in your shoes. It wouldnt be by me ratting on someone for petty things I was drilled for years. NEVER RAT! EVER on anyone its karma it will come back too you one day. In the long run you will think ughhhh why did i get involved. Should have kept my mouth shut
My point is why get invobled the dramma is not worth it bro. ( of course unless there is serious poaching or serious laws being broken repeatedly leave alone it bro. If you and him were there he will get himself caught in due time anyway. Good luck

Man that's lengthy. Yes I'm allowed there, it's owned by a family friend. As I stated you cannot hunt there because it's within the city zoning. Therefore shooting a "weapon" inside the city limits is illegal as well as a slue of other charges. I care because A-Hole's that don't follow the rules make us all look bad and it's in us to ensure we follow the rules and regs. If you are from ny you know that there is only about 1-2 Dec officers for about every 100 miles or so (give it take) thus they can't be everywhere and see/enforce everything. Now you say ratting its not ratting its following the laws. I've been raised to respect other people, follow the laws and respect the animals. So if it's a kid hunting he should prob start off his hunting career doing the right thing. But I'll just consider the source.
Wanabhunter

Unread postby Wanabhunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:05 am

Wanabhunter wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:The treestand? Well thats up to you but take no offense but

Man that's lengthy. Yes I'm allowed there, it's owned by a family friend. As I stated you cannot hunt there because it's within the city zoning. Therefore shooting a "weapon" inside the city limits is illegal as well as a slue of other charges. I care because A-Hole's that don't follow the rules make us all look bad and it's in us to ensure we follow the rules and regs. If you are from ny you know that there is only about 1-2 Dec officers for about every 100 miles or so (give it take) thus they can't be everywhere and see/enforce everything. Now you say ratting its not ratting its following the laws. I've been raised to respect other people, follow the laws and respect the animals. So if it's a kid hunting he should prob start off his hunting career doing the right thing.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:10 am

I know a few have posted pics of bucks that dropped already in NY, but I think its generally still early. As for the treestand, if its private property, I would let the owner know and leave it at that. Up to the owner to make that call. I live in the Rochester area and even in the burbs you can hunt with a bow if you meet the set back requirements (recovery might be a different story). So I would just be sure before calling DEC.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:12 am

I've been out every weekend since xmas, havent found any sheds yet. With that said, theres snow on the ground so I could very well have missed them or they could have been buried.

As far as the treestand situation, can they bow hunt there? If not, report them. I'd also make sure its not an observation stand to another area or something, never know.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 am

I'd contact the owner of the property with regards to the tree stand. It's ultimately their decision on what to do and not yours. As far as sheds go, I'm in CNY and haven't heard of anyone picking them up. I'm still getting pics of bucks carrying both sides.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:45 am

if you guys have snow on ground focus on following trails and finding beds then come back when its melted the snow will keep them clean and fresh
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:19 am

I'm not noticing any shedding yet either. Hopefully headed out again Sunday
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:16 am

I've seen a lot of deer lately and no antlers in them it has been cold enough I bet they would have started for sure but I've been out twice and found none....few nice beds but no bone yet..
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:03 pm

I do not know anyone personally that has picked any up but I did see a few on some ny hunter FB pg. I’ll find out more this weekend when I finally go and remove my cams :L:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”