Bed patterns

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Bed patterns

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:35 am

I want to share with everybody what I found scouting yesterday in mountains. every time I found a buck bed it was set up exactly the same all the beds had a hemlock tree 10 to 12 inches in diameter and brush too their back they were placed on a slight rise giving them clear view to either side down the ridge and a full view of valley below. if the back stop shifted behind them slightly the bed was for a slight off wind shift. I checked every beds wind angle with my compass and logged the exact wind to the degree in my gps when I marked it. every time I saw that setup sure enough their was a bed under it.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Bed patterns

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:48 am

Well bro you found a pretty good pattern. Just gotta make sure its the right time of year you wanna hunt it. Could change Might be a late season spot. Check you maps look for similar areas near seasonsl food spots and they imo should be bedding for specific time of year
Good job brother keep us posted
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Well bro you found a pretty good pattern. Just gotta make sure its the right time of year you wanna hunt it. Could change Might be a late season spot. Check you maps look for similar areas near seasonsl food spots and they imo should be bedding for specific time of year

they are year round bedding for sure they are on nob shaped benches in micro climates on western slopes I've seen deer in them all year round. the mountains run north too south in strait lines for miles buy me and the western side are all pine and east sides are hardwoods. all the lone deer bed on that elevation line and the larger doe family's bed on top or below that line for most part. its just neat cuz they bed with same trees on exact same setup every time.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:10 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:Well bro you found a pretty good pattern. Just gotta make sure its the right time of year you wanna hunt it. Could change Might be a late season spot. Check you maps look for similar areas near seasonsl food spots and they imo should be bedding for specific time of year

they are year round bedding for sure they are on nob shaped benches in micro climates on western slopes I've seen deer in them all year round. the mountains run north too south in strait lines for miles buy me and the western side are all pine and east sides are hardwoods. all the lone deer bed on that elevation line and the larger doe family's bed on top or below that line for most part. its just neat cuz they bed with same trees on exact same setup every time.

I would say too that is year round bedding. because the hemlock cover is there year round, etc.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:16 am

ghoasthunter wrote:I want to share with everybody what I found scouting yesterday in mountains. every time I found a buck bed it was set up exactly the same all the beds had a hemlock tree 10 to 12 inches in diameter and brush too their back they were placed on a slight rise giving them clear view to either side down the ridge and a full view of valley below. if the back stop shifted behind them slightly the bed was for a slight off wind shift. I checked every beds wind angle with my compass and logged the exact wind to the degree in my gps when I marked it. every time I saw that setup sure enough their was a bed under it.

Is this slight rise even visible from a topo map or google maps? I'm finding buck beds in areas like this that I couldn't even really see from a topo.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 am

yOU BRING UP A GOOD POINT... There are certainly repeatable variables in certain terrains and areas where the bucks bed. From scouting every terrain and doing so often I have come to a point where I can look at a piece of ground and be pretty confident by the layout if it has good bucks on it and where they should be bedded. I sometimes think its obvious to others, when in reality it seems people have to work at it a year or 2 in most cases to see it like that.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:27 am

rfickes87 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:I want to share with everybody what I found scouting yesterday in mountains. every time I found a buck bed it was set up exactly the same all the beds had a hemlock tree 10 to 12 inches in diameter and brush too their back they were placed on a slight rise giving them clear view to either side down the ridge and a full view of valley below. if the back stop shifted behind them slightly the bed was for a slight off wind shift. I checked every beds wind angle with my compass and logged the exact wind to the degree in my gps when I marked it. every time I saw that setup sure enough their was a bed under it.

Is this slight rise even visible from a topo map or google maps? I'm finding buck beds in areas like this that I couldn't even really see from a topo.

not at all I just see a slight shift in the elevation lines and then have to confirm its just enough rise maybe five feet its like a bench with a 5 acer nob on it full of mountain laurel and hemlocks their are always vertical and horizontal trails in those spots too and the verticals are more burnt in most likely the exit trails.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:32 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:

not at all I just see a slight shift in the elevation lines and then have to confirm its just enough rise maybe five feet its like a bench with a 5 acer nob on it full of mountain laurel and hemlocks their are always vertical and horizontal trails in those spots too and the verticals are more burnt in most likely the exit trails.
then on those nobs are small bumps maybe a foot higher with the tree making the bed
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:35 am

dan wrote:yOU BRING UP A GOOD POINT... There are certainly repeatable variables in certain terrains and areas where the bucks bed. From scouting every terrain and doing so often I have come to a point where I can look at a piece of ground and be pretty confident by the layout if it has good bucks on it and where they should be bedded. I sometimes think its obvious to others, when in reality it seems people have to work at it a year or 2 in most cases to see it like that.

in river bottoms I hunt its the same thing too I tend to find the biggest beds under bent willow trees
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:38 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
dan wrote:yOU BRING UP A GOOD POINT... There are certainly repeatable variables in certain terrains and areas where the bucks bed. From scouting every terrain and doing so often I have come to a point where I can look at a piece of ground and be pretty confident by the layout if it has good bucks on it and where they should be bedded. I sometimes think its obvious to others, when in reality it seems people have to work at it a year or 2 in most cases to see it like that.

in river bottoms I hunt its the same thing too I tend to find the biggest beds under bent willow trees

they use the tree like a roof over their bed
HighNtree

Unread postby HighNtree » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:07 pm

That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:23 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage Hear you go guys I figured out to post pics! this is all from the buck nest notice how their is just a bit of rise where the beds are and the back is too cover and they can see out both sides and down the hill. this is all off a small bench on the wind tunnel and also some beds have two or three next to each other for wind angle changes the bucks are only moving 3 or 4 feet for a wind change. or shifting across the whole bench for a side wind.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:40 pm

I've noticed the same in a couple areas I hunt, with cedar trees in a swamp. Because there's usually a nice piece of dry ground under each one. Sometimes lone trees, and sometimes clumps of them.

Nice looking bedding ghoast!
Last edited by tgreeno on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:41 pm

ImageImage this is an example of two beds on ledges that are maybe 10 x 30 foot they sit right in a micro climate on a western slope with a huge rodadendrum swamp below. they drop down off the ledge in afternoon and hit scrapes 50 yards below on another 20 foot wide ledge that runs for about half a mile in either direction. that whole ledge is covered in scrapes all season the does move from top too bottom down the whole length and the bucks run the ledge and never come down they just throw a scrape on every trail up and down. I only took two pics but I found 5 other beds all setup the same and all had a scrape in sight of bed. the bucks sit their and wait for a doe to hit scrapes. if they get board they drop down then hook up to next bed. the left pics backstop is a 40 foot vertical cliff. the right pic has three or four blowdown pines above and a 30 foot rock face.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:51 pm

I want to add that these 2 beds are half way down a 1000 foot tall mountain and on the top is a hiking trail at the normal bedding level.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”