Bed patterns

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Bed patterns

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:13 pm

dan wrote:yOU BRING UP A GOOD POINT... There are certainly repeatable variables in certain terrains and areas where the bucks bed. From scouting every terrain and doing so often I have come to a point where I can look at a piece of ground and be pretty confident by the layout if it has good bucks on it and where they should be bedded. I sometimes think its obvious to others, when in reality it seems people have to work at it a year or 2 in most cases to see it like that.

put up some pics of the scouting trip id love some insight on what you think

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:20 am

ghoasthunter wrote:ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage Hear you go guys I figured out to post pics! this is all from the buck nest notice how their is just a bit of rise where the beds are and the back is too cover and they can see out both sides and down the hill. this is all off a small bench on the wind tunnel and also some beds have two or three next to each other for wind angle changes the bucks are only moving 3 or 4 feet for a wind change. or shifting across the whole bench for a side wind.

the sheds were both found laying in the top left bed notice how faint the beds are in the pics they area just flattened out leaves this is because the benches size fairly large and is used on different winds their is a beds lay out for ever wind but west wind. but they still bed in their on a west but push back into more security cover more on side hill in thicker hemlocks. on a traditional overhead wind and a thermal rise they bed down lower at the edge where it drops. and a bad wind they push farther up in thick.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:29 am

ImageImage[imghttps://s26.postimg.org/43zc83jl5/MDGC2341.jpg][/img]ImageImageImageImageImageImage Hear are some of the bucks using the nest. out of all my pics I only have one doe in 2 months and the does bed only 200 yards away!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:46 am

ImageImageImageImageImagethis is the layout the dotted lines are trails the circles are rubs near the primary scrape the camera is just above the point where the scrape is. the bucks come down off top hit the scrape and work rubs on down wind side of doe bedding. early season they continue down off point and too water. they feed on oaks on top then drop down too their beds in morning.my stand is set up 100 yards from closest buck bed and 200 yards from farthest. this setup is what I call a staging bed funnel and what I try to find to setup in low deer density big woods. I have clean entry up a raven below and have full use of wind in afternoon then dropping thermals at sunset.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:28 am

ghoasthunter wrote:ImageImageImageImageImagethis is the layout the dotted lines are trails the circles are rubs near the primary scrape the camera is just above the point where the scrape is. the bucks come down off top hit the scrape and work rubs on down wind side of doe bedding. early season they continue down off point and too water. they feed on oaks on top then drop down too their beds in morning.my stand is set up 100 yards from closest buck bed and 200 yards from farthest. this setup is what I call a staging bed funnel and what I try to find to setup in low deer density big woods. I have clean entry up a raven below and have full use of wind in afternoon then dropping thermals at sunset.

Ghoast, very nice findings. You've systematically broken this area all down. Very well done!

Looking at your sketch... Do you often find primary scraps at the top center of a point like that? I literally went all last season not finding a single primary scrape... Yet I was hunting all around bedding.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:43 am

I think the scape only is their when it funnels like that its also on the down wind side of doe bedding the does have to pass the scrape to get down too the water below. their is a raven below making a swirling wind tunnel for them to travel down to a run off pond that always has water. and its also a convergance of 4 types of edge cover and terrain features the more diverse the pinch the more chances of getting a scrape. I did not even trace half the trails leading onto that point.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:45 am

also the point is very mellow with good loamy black dirt. I search every place for this pattern and when you find it its a honey hole for years and years.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:51 am

the way I find these spots is by finding natural terrain pinches on a topo map. then I overlay areal photos from winter if its covered in green when everything else is brown its worth my time. GREEN MEANS GO
Crawdad31

Unread postby Crawdad31 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:27 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:the way I find these spots is by finding natural terrain pinches on a topo map. then I overlay areal photos from winter if its covered in green when everything else is brown its worth my time. GREEN MEANS GO

^^that got all kinds of gears turning in my head. A bunch of spots i hunt flooded in my mind after reading that. I bumped a buck in a nasty thick bedding area that is a north south running ridge with a bunch of small benches and a couple large fingers that run mostly east east south east. It fits the description you used with the green on winter ariels. Good stuff
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Crawdad31 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:the way I find these spots is by finding natural terrain pinches on a topo map. then I overlay areal photos from winter if its covered in green when everything else is brown its worth my time. GREEN MEANS GO

^^that got all kinds of gears turning in my head. A bunch of spots i hunt flooded in my mind after reading that. I bumped a buck in a nasty thick bedding area that is a north south running ridge with a bunch of small benches and a couple large fingers that run mostly east east south east. It fits the description you used with the green on winter ariels. Good stuff
I'm glad I can help
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Did some bed scouting in a super thick willow brush dogwood and brier laden river bottom. The river splits into a web of small rivers and beaver ponds creating amazing bedding cover everything in Dans swamp bedding DVD is spot on I ended up finding 4 big buck beds today on islands within the thick stuff the big buck beds are always in the most favorable spots and satellite beds more towards the middle of the islands. had snow for tracks today so I could really get a feel for movement and travel. learned the value of getting in close for even having a crack at this big buck. when all the young bucks got out of bed they would feed towards the exit trails off the is lands ands bowls in river bends not the big buck he gets out of the bed and walks the back edge of bedding tight to the wall of cover and comes out his own trail. I think what's going on is he is using thermals to exit. he's has a large body of water to his back he enters with wind to nose when the thermal pull begins in evening to the pond he starts his scent check. my plan is to flank him in his own bedroom and get up tight to back of bedding area on his exit trail. I can get in position with hip boots threw water and get in a tree 75 yards from the bed my thoughts are their are beavers all over their so he's probably used to hearing minimal noise in water. I'm going to prep the tree with ladder sticks on the back side slip up and tie in with my saddle from his bed he can not see my tree till he comes over to his rub tree. anybody ever try this move and have it work?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”