hide from humans

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: hide from humans

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:17 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote::D
Next purchase might have to be night vision goggles. Tear down at end of hunt in stealth mode and helps for scouting!
I use a red led light then I can see if I turn off my light does not mess up your built in night vision

Do they see red light. (-(a deer that is lol) ?

Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:20 am

Ognennyy wrote:Wow. WOW!! You guys must be hunting some seriously pressured places. I don't think I've had the impulse to hide from another human since my days throwing snowballs at cars as a teenager. Certainly not in the woods. I've seen two people in three seasons up in the mountains where I hunt; another hunter, and a father teaching his son how to ID an oak tree. I walked up and started talking to both.

I don't know if you guys are, well... paranoid, or if I'm naive. I guess I'm "that guy" that ya'll hate running into :lol:

OMG. I remember those days throwing snowballs at cars. It was so stupid but so fun. Oh i miss those days so much
I would never hate to run into a brother beast anywhere
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:21 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I usually park down the road at least a few hundred yards from where i enter the woods at.

If a car is coming i try to hide behind a big oak tree

I do the same thing and on opposite side of road. I do t k ow if it helps or not but. Lol
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:12 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote::D
Next purchase might have to be night vision goggles. Tear down at end of hunt in stealth mode and helps for scouting!
I use a red led light then I can see if I turn off my light does not mess up your built in night vision

I don't think they can red is not a color on their vision spectrum and red fades out that's why the military ran those red lights they just don't carry that far
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:21 am

Ognennyy wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:Wow. WOW!! You guys must be hunting some seriously pressured places. I don't think I've had the impulse to hide from another human since my days throwing snowballs at cars as a teenager. Certainly not in the woods. I've seen two people in three seasons up in the mountains where I hunt; another hunter, and a father teaching his son how to ID an oak tree. I walked up and started talking to both.

I don't know if you guys are, well... paranoid, or if I'm naive. I guess I'm "that guy" that ya'll hate running into :lol:

you only seen 2 guys in woods in 3 years cuz the rest of them are hiding in the bushes lol

Ha I never thought of that! I think probably there are not a lot of hunters up there because there are so few deer (Adirondacks of NY). Plus the ones who are up there hide from me lol.
I've hunted the dacks for years I love it up their my family has killed some giants back in the mountains. how you make out up their I haven't went in 6 years now everybody I went with got too old.

It's a special place in spite of the low deer density. I got my first buck ever up there this season. I don't see many deer, but this is only my third season so I'm still learning. I have a few places in mind to scout this Spring that should be much better. If you were ever feeling nostalgic I'd be happy to do my best to show you what few places I know that deer travel.
do you track I've had good luck on track problem is the snow doesn't happen when we plan our trips. I want to get up their and hunt with beast tactics when I hunted up their I was not as good with thermals and I didn't even know about leeward ridges. I always had good luck finding buck beds and travel routs. and I think being able to find a deer up their makes you skill set when hunting other places ten fold.
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:40 am

It's not so much getting away from other hunters just because I want the solitude. It's the game that wants to get away from hunters. If i'm to go where the game is I need to go to areas that are tough to get too. I find most hunters don't want to work that hard and will hunt spots easy to get to. Mature mule deer bucks and elk don't want to see hunters. If you want success in my area you'll look for solitude too, because that's what the game is doing.

I've hunted Colorado for 60 years and know the game pretty good by now. If I see hunters i'm moving to another spot. I have a lot of them by now. If you're looking for does or young bucks you can get away with almost anything. A mature buck or bull are smart. You won't get one here without working hard for it.

So, it's not being paranoid. It's being successful.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:41 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

you only seen 2 guys in woods in 3 years cuz the rest of them are hiding in the bushes lol

Ha I never thought of that! I think probably there are not a lot of hunters up there because there are so few deer (Adirondacks of NY). Plus the ones who are up there hide from me lol.
I've hunted the dacks for years I love it up their my family has killed some giants back in the mountains. how you make out up their I haven't went in 6 years now everybody I went with got too old.

It's a special place in spite of the low deer density. I got my first buck ever up there this season. I don't see many deer, but this is only my third season so I'm still learning. I have a few places in mind to scout this Spring that should be much better. If you were ever feeling nostalgic I'd be happy to do my best to show you what few places I know that deer travel.
do you track I've had good luck on track problem is the snow doesn't happen when we plan our trips. I want to get up their and hunt with beast tactics when I hunted up their I was not as good with thermals and I didn't even know about leeward ridges. I always had good luck finding buck beds and travel routs. and I think being able to find a deer up their makes you skill set when hunting other places ten fold.
I started a new thread for the dacks in deer hunting
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 am

Dewey wrote:I do whatever it takes to make sure I’m not seen by other hunters. I’m generally pretty paranoid that way. Most people are just WAY to nosey for their own good so I do my best to give them as little info as possible. If those people put as much effort into their own hunts as they do others they could be real good hunters.

This right here
Joe™
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:30 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:
Dewey wrote:I do whatever it takes to make sure I’m not seen by other hunters. I’m generally pretty paranoid that way. Most people are just WAY to nosey for their own good so I do my best to give them as little info as possible. If those people put as much effort into their own hunts as they do others they could be real good hunters.

This right here

every year on opening day of gun I get in my stand at 3 in morning and sit their in the silence and listen to every door slam and horn beep as the doors lock over a mile away and sit on my mountain top and watch the flashlights go every direction like firefly's threw the valley
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:28 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Outdoor814 wrote:

This right here

every year on opening day of gun I get in my stand at 3 in morning and sit their in the silence and listen to every door slam and horn beep as the doors lock over a mile away and sit on my mountain top and watch the flashlights go every direction like firefly's threw the valley

Thats gotta be actually pretty cool to see and hear
Now. Just think what a big old stud thinks when he’s laying there at same time ( oh crap) here they come im outttta here. Lol
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 am

I take a little different look at things as I pretty well am 100% private land hunting. People look for hunting spots all the time so I don’t really try to hide my truck. If anything I would hope it shows that someone is hunting here and to not bother asking permission. It has worked for me. Obviously some guys don’t care but if I am looking for new dirt and see someone hunting a piece I generally will move on .
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:17 am

hunter10 wrote:I take a little different look at things as I pretty well am 100% private land hunting. People look for hunting spots all the time so I don’t really try to hide my truck. If anything I would hope it shows that someone is hunting here and to not bother asking permission. It has worked for me. Obviously some guys don’t care but if I am looking for new dirt and see someone hunting a piece I generally will move on .

Where I hunt that doesn't matter to some. there are guys that live near spots I hunt that have never hunted there or even considered it. But once they see someone else hunting it they get the this must be a good spot syndrome.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:16 am

It’s like being in the mafia, only a very few select friends are in my “inner circle” that I trust locations of my set ups.
As far as being seen by other hunters or anyone for that matter it’s escape and evade lol.
At least after reading all these other replies,
I feel better knowing I’m not the only one who avoids detection at all cost. I guess I’m not as weird as I thought after all.
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 am

I've had deer turn themselves inside out when a red glow camera comes on in video mode.

Lopedog699 wrote:

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:06 am

fr0sty wrote:I've had deer turn themselves inside out when a red glow camera comes on in video mode.

That's like those sheep that faint and fall over when you scare them, but much more violent.
This must have been a horrific thing to witness, and very bloody...I probably wouldn't go back to those woods. And for the love of God, don't take any more video cameras in that have red lights!
:mrgreen:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”