Let me know

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dewey

Re: Let me know

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:22 pm

In order to be prepared you need to have a plan and stick to it.

I let my wife know the general area I will be hunting. When I get there I text her an aerial screenshot of my tree location along with the exact GPS coordinates BEFORE I climb the tree. If she doesn't hear from me within an hour after closing she's instructed to first try texting or calling me in case I forgot and if no answer contact the authorities to send out the search party. If by chance my phone goes dead or I lose it I will just quit hunting early to make sure she knows on time. Haven't ever had to do that yet.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:54 am

I didn't use to worry about it. But now my son knows where I'm at most of the time if my wife doesn't know the area. He and I hunt together quite a bit and we know our shared areas pretty well. Sometimes I'll leave my wife with a map of the spot I'm in just in case.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:24 am

Jonny wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:I set up the "find my friends" app with my wife's phone. She can see exactly where i am in the woods.

If you don't have a smart phone. Maybe just write down the GPS coordinates to your stand or vehicle and give them to someone.

Does i phones have this? I need it to actually tell my wife where im at

Yes. I would bet its under the Extras app icon. Actual app looks like two guys holding hands cause thats politically correct :think: :doh:

Hahaha.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:41 am

A good friend and i have our phones linked at all times. We can see where each other is located anywhere in the country.

It's a great tool for keeping track of your hunting buddy...... only problem he has now is I know when he plans to visit my wife when I'm not around.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:53 am

If you have iPhones or other Apple stuff you can use the Find Iphone app to link all your Apple devices pretty much anywhere giving exact locations. Even works with my iMac and Macbook. Great for an emergency so you can pinpoint very quickly exactly where the other person is.
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:05 am

I have a lease i share with two people. They have their spots, I have mine. Theirs are in the open, close to where they park their wheelers, etc. Mine are off the beaten path, along edges within the timber, near bedding areas, etc. I always see nice deer and they seldom see deer, let alone a shooter. I asked one of them to help me find my bow buck this year after I had lost him. When we got to the stand location, he ranted and raved about how great the area/spot was. All of a sudden it turned into, "we can put a permanent stand over here" and "we can clear out this area over here"...etc. Needless to say, I made the drastic mistake of letting others in on my spots, that were only found by boots on the ground and only successful because of my entry and low level impact.

I will not be making the same mistake again.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:23 am

Until last year I didn't even take my phone into the woods with me, I always left it in the truck. I didn't feel like it belonged in the woods with me. Not sure how best to explain that. Now with a wife and child in my life I always let my wife know where I'm at. I have the hunt stand app and I just turn on the location marker and send a screenshot of the map to my wife when I get settled in up a tree. If I'm not home and don't call a few hours after sunset she can send one of my buddies to find me. Hasn't had to yet. Always wear your harness from base of the tree up and back again. Don't do it for yourself, do it for your families and friends.
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:35 am

My last post ended up on the wrong thread...oops. I always carry my phone and let my wife know the general area I will be hunting. Having kids has really changed my outlook on many things, most of the time I ask "is it worth it?".
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:01 am

I always tell my spouse where I am going, plus an aerial with the spot marked. I call when I get to the parking lot and call again when I am leaving.
Plus my length of hunting time for that day so she knows when to expect a call.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:18 am

I'm not nearly as good about this as I should be. With a wife, a toddler, and another youngun en route, I need to be better. I need to figure something out so keep the suggestions coming.

My problem is that many of my spots don't have cell coverage, I forget my phone, forget to charge it etc. So relying on my phone can't be part of the plan. I have an inreach but it's just too heavy and the plan is too expensive. I usually give my wife a general area but most evening hunts I don't have a specific tree in mind to give coordinates. My wife too is not outdoorsy and my friends and family all live over 2 hours away. I am obsessive about treestand safety and never being untethered though.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:15 am

ghoasthunter wrote:I tell my wife where I'm going but I doubt that is going to help much. I keep my phone in my chest pocket honestly don't even think about it too much I've been in woods so long I'm not too worried I call my wife and tell her I'm headed out. I think you just have to think about what your doing and be smart and know your physical limitations.

X2!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:16 am

They should make one of those life alert things for hunters. Where incase of a serious emergency hit the button and help is on the way and they got your exact location. In my case I alway put my phone in my bag which is hanging in the tree, if I fall and seriously hurt myself don't think I'm going to climb back up and get it.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:18 am

Boogieman1 wrote:They should make one of those life alert things for hunters. Where incase of a serious emergency hit the button and help is on the way and they got your exact location.

They already do. ;)

https://www.rei.com/product/860469/spot ... gLAQvD_BwE
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:29 am

Dang it.. There goes that million dollar idea! Good stuff problem solved. Now all you got to worry about is one of the responders being a hunter lol.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 am

An additional SPOT Service Plan is required for operation. $199.99 yearly subscription covers basic service and tracking. Add extreme tracking at 2.5 min. intervals for an additional $99.99 per year.

On top of the $149.99 for the actual product. On the brightside, you get free shipping :dance: :doh:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”