HOW I KILLED MY 2017 BUCK

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

HOW I KILLED MY 2017 BUCK

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:42 am

ImageImageImage it all started October 1st I set up my stand below the down wind entry of the buck bedding B to the north 2 hours before sunrise. I had the buck at 30 yards at first light but opted not to shoot because from my pre season scouting out of a observation stand I knew he was hanging out with a bigger 10 point. I hunted that bed a little hard because of the good pattern and giant 10 tried five sits over next two weeks the rest were in afternoon some times you just have to swing for the fences. I decided to pull out and hunt the swamps the rest of early bow. then extended bow in November it was getting crunch time and I still had a tag. I tried an evening sit November 10 on south end of cat tail swamp but I'm pretty sure I blew the buck out that night before I was even close to stand. but that pinch was too good over the spring brook with a heavy used scrape. the stand is circle with x in it. well I knew I didn't stink up that spot too bad the night before because I used the bull rush swamp in center to enter my trail. who says you don't need hip boots in the mountains lol. the next day I went right back in 2 hours before sunrise slipped threw swamp and walked in the brook up to my stand I set up 100 yards behind the scrape on a couple rubs indicating where the bucks were down wind checking the scrape and thrashing trees. I had a real cold NE wind that day that shot threw along the swamp like a rocket! around 9 I see a rack traveling along the edge of swamp on east side I suspect the buck was bedding on the North point and harassing the large concentration of does on the high eastern nob it was loaded with acorns that year and the deer tend to bed right where they eat in mountains. now this is why buck trails are overlooked this buck was walking threw a solid glacial rock field that whole way. he then came up brook and hooked down wind of the scrape right under my tree. I shot him at 7 yards and he made it twenty more and piled up in a blow down. when I gut the deer I checked his stomach and sure enough he was full of acorns he was going to hook right into that bed and watch that hiking trail and scrape in bedding area B that whole finger is a jailhouse of an old clear cut. with some big boulders on end that he could press up against and get out of wind he can see everything from that finger. that bed is just about impossible to approach in afternoon. the buck aged at 3.5 years old and dressed at 169 he's not a giant but he played the script and a good buck for where I'm from.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
JoeRE
500 Club

Re: HOW I KILLED MY 2017 BUCK

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:41 pm

Good writeup and great buck! Congrats!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Sweet looking spot. Topography lays out very similar to the spot I killed my KY buck this season.

Nice buck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Congrats on a great season!
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:33 pm

Nice :dance:
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:45 am

congrats man thanks for sharring your story and pics with us!!!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:12 am

That's awesome! Congrats and thanks for sharing! :D
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:16 am

Well done!! Nice buck
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:10 am

You did good.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”