Just how I see it

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swamp_donkey

Re: Just how I see it

Unread postby Swamp_donkey » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:33 pm

tgreeno wrote:
Because in no way is anything I do hunting related considered "work" by me! It's a passion, and I fully enjoy every second I spend in the outdoors! The time I put into hunting, is so polar opposite of what I would consider a job, I'm not ever sure how that comparison relates?

So to those, that feel sorry for me because of all the "effort" I put in during the year towards my hunting, Don't! I love every second or I wouldn't be doing it! Being in the outdoors relaxes me and revitalizes me.

This was not meant to be an argument about outfitters. It was about how all of us with different views on "how to hunt", can relate to each other and still enjoy the same sport. Just because my views are different than yours, doesn't mean either of them are wrong or right. They're just different!

This is so true. I recall a few years ago when I was a new bow hunter I was reading everything I could get my hands on. Long and the short of it was it sounded like an insane amount of effort and certainly some luck went into consistently killing good bucks and it largely seemed overwhelming. I certainly had some second thoughts about how serious I wanted to take bow hunting.

Then, over the years I find myself not looking at it as work or effort or wasted time and energy spent hiking miles in the off season, scouting, shed hunting, etc. It's on my mind most of the time, I'm almost more excited for scouting and shed hunting season because of what I can learn and find for next fall. Truly the journey started to become more important than the destination so to speak.

I think if you're hiring a guide you loose a bit of that but getting out of province/state to hunt is a different kind of journey in and of itself. Search for experiences that make you happy, proud and excited. On top of that, ones that challenge you to learn and grow as a hunter and as a person. That's what I find the most rewarding. Oh ya and the freezer full of meat and some big antlers ain't bad either if you're so lucky.

Most of all if you're not having fun why are you out there?

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:23 am

Swamp_donkey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Because in no way is anything I do hunting related considered "work" by me! It's a passion, and I fully enjoy every second I spend in the outdoors! The time I put into hunting, is so polar opposite of what I would consider a job, I'm not ever sure how that comparison relates?

So to those, that feel sorry for me because of all the "effort" I put in during the year towards my hunting, Don't! I love every second or I wouldn't be doing it! Being in the outdoors relaxes me and revitalizes me.

This was not meant to be an argument about outfitters. It was about how all of us with different views on "how to hunt", can relate to each other and still enjoy the same sport. Just because my views are different than yours, doesn't mean either of them are wrong or right. They're just different!

This is so true. I recall a few years ago when I was a new bow hunter I was reading everything I could get my hands on. Long and the short of it was it sounded like an insane amount of effort and certainly some luck went into consistently killing good bucks and it largely seemed overwhelming. I certainly had some second thoughts about how serious I wanted to take bow hunting.

Then, over the years I find myself not looking at it as work or effort or wasted time and energy spent hiking miles in the off season, scouting, shed hunting, etc. It's on my mind most of the time, I'm almost more excited for scouting and shed hunting season because of what I can learn and find for next fall. Truly the journey started to become more important than the destination so to speak.

I think if you're hiring a guide you loose a bit of that but getting out of province/state to hunt is a different kind of journey in and of itself. Search for experiences that make you happy, proud and excited. On top of that, ones that challenge you to learn and grow as a hunter and as a person. That's what I find the most rewarding. Oh ya and the freezer full of meat and some big antlers ain't bad either if you're so lucky.

Most of all if you're not having fun why are you out there?

I have to agree. I am really starting to enjoy scouting and finding beds then trying to put it together
I scouted a point about a month ago. And last night was my first mobile hunt. It was a point going into a marsh. And there was a few beds on the end of it.
Well i set up about 1/2 to the point and man it was spot on a huge bodied deer came from the point and bedded about 20 yards between me and the point so the staging theory was proven to me there. Anyway the deer never got up and i shook branches at pitch black to get out of there. I added it all up and man that was cool. I really think it was a buck who lost his horns. I couldnt see his head at all
The whole plan just added up and worked. it was one of the best hunts for me this year. Tonight im trying another spot the same way
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:24 am

Bedbug wrote:Think I my opinion might make me a loner on this thread.

I would assume everyone on the beast Considers themselves a very different hunter than one who pays for a hunt. I certainly do!
ASIDE from that part I'm starting to distance myself from the importance of hunting public only.
I'm on the outside edge of this public land craze. I just can't get myself to jump on the public only bandwagon...
Other being able to say you killed this Buck on public land. It means little to me as far as the value of ones hunt, experience, and accomplishment.
I do hunt alot of public land I enjoy it. Specifically being able to use pressure from other Hunters. It also always has a more natural feeling than most private.

But I'm a door knocker. I'm quick to try to gain access on private land I think I can get. The type of properties I am able get permission on are very seldom any easier to hunt than public land.

Oftentimes I work even harder on the small properties I gain access to then I would on public. Just because it's not open to the public to hunt it does that make the quality of the hunt less valuable???

Idk I just got a comment last year after shooting a buck. From a guy that's about 20 years older than I am. He hunted the public next to the kill site.
His words "yeah congratulations it must be easy when you have land like that to hunt on"
I was kind of put back by it. After scouting the public parcel this guy unofficially owns rights too. I pulled over to the neighbors and talked to a nice old lady gained only archery permission. After his comment I didn't say to the guy but all I could think was why haven't you tried to hunt this private land all these years.

Nope, you're not a loner here. There are more like you than would care to admit. I hunt private ground also. And I hunt public land also. I'll hunt practically anywhere that suits my fancy if I can get permission. Nothing wrong with that.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:00 am

Bedbug wrote:Think I my opinion might make me a loner on this thread.

I would assume everyone on the beast Considers themselves a very different hunter than one who pays for a hunt. I certainly do!
ASIDE from that part I'm starting to distance myself from the importance of hunting public only.
I'm on the outside edge of this public land craze. I just can't get myself to jump on the public only bandwagon...
Other being able to say you killed this Buck on public land. It means little to me as far as the value of ones hunt, experience, and accomplishment.
I do hunt alot of public land I enjoy it. Specifically being able to use pressure from other Hunters. It also always has a more natural feeling than most private.

But I'm a door knocker. I'm quick to try to gain access on private land I think I can get. The type of properties I am able get permission on are very seldom any easier to hunt than public land.

Oftentimes I work even harder on the small properties I gain access to then I would on public. Just because it's not open to the public to hunt it does that make the quality of the hunt less valuable???

Idk I just got a comment last year after shooting a buck. From a guy that's about 20 years older than I am. He hunted the public next to the kill site.
His words "yeah congratulations it must be easy when you have land like that to hunt on"
I was kind of put back by it. After scouting the public parcel this guy unofficially owns rights too. I pulled over to the neighbors and talked to a nice old lady gained only archery permission. After his comment I didn't say to the guy but all I could think was why haven't you tried to hunt this private land all these years.

Wow this is almost what I was ready to write very well said. I sometimes get a little almost irritated by the sense of bragging that some take by hunting public land. I had access to a really good piece of private ground some years back. I had a great deal of success on that property. But it was really frustrating to hear from others, sometimes even my friends, tell me how easy it was because of where I was hunting. I still had to work hard to get permission to hunt there and maintain access. I definitely get access to that property from my good looks.

I agree with almost everyone here in that the part of the hunting that I like is the challenge. It is fun to try and figure out new stand locations, strategies, etc. whether it is on public or private ground. Some call it work, some call it fun. No matter what you do just enjoy yourself. And especially don't judge others because you look at it in a different way.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:33 pm

magicman54494 wrote:How I see it:
I wish I was so filthy rich that I could hire Dr. deer to plant the food plots and set out the trail cameras and hang the stands and manage my 100000 acre private estate.
That would free up my time to focus on the real important things in life like my smoking hot, plastic, trophy wife. I could eat my caviar while sipping on my 100 year old bottle of chateau lafite. I could roll up $100 bills and use them as matches to light my Gurkha Black Dragon cigars. I could then buzz my 21 year old Swedish personal assistant and have her set up an appointment to see my Porsche dealer. I've always wanted a candy apple red 910 Spyder.
I would insist on walking the last 100 Yards to my stand and carry my own weapon because after all I promote myself as being a DIY guy. My camera guys would catch all the right angles and lighting to make me look larger than life while strategically avoiding the high fences. I would pass on that slightly quartering 25 yd shot at that 185" drop tine because a true sportsman wouldn't take that shot. In the end after "hunting hard" all season I would smoke a monster 194" genetically altered buck that I hand fed the last 6 years. During the photo session I will appear humble while I pimp every product that anyone would pay me to shamelessly promote.
I would hit the hot tub with my wife and personal assistant and sip Cognac to unwind after a tough day in the field while someone else processes my deer.
Later on in my trophy room / man cave, me and my buddies would joke about how all the poor people stroke their egos bragging how they are die hard DIY guys and by claiming I'm not a "real" hunter.

Soooooo.......hows that any different vs your life now?

Oh I know, coco doesnt have fake boobs.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:27 pm

I hunt some of the nastiest swamp there is. Even hunting OSS public and killing a stud would never mean to me what killing a stud in that swamp would.... That being said I could see the enjoyment in going on an outfitted hunt to somewhere far. It would be more like a fun enjoyable hunting vacation vs a bunch of hard work. Wouldnt mean as much to me and i wouldnt be looking at it like a real trophy but would be a fun experience. Probably wouldn't do it cause of the money but with unlimited resources might be a different story lol
Make It Happen
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:14 am

Swampbuck wrote:I hunt some of the nastiest swamp there is. Even hunting OSS public and killing a stud would never mean to me what killing a stud in that swamp would.... That being said I could see the enjoyment in going on an outfitted hunt to somewhere far. It would be more like a fun enjoyable hunting vacation vs a bunch of hard work. Wouldnt mean as much to me and i wouldnt be looking at it like a real trophy but would be a fun experience. Probably wouldn't do it cause of the money but with unlimited resources might be a different story lol

I agree with you swamp. I would go on one just to realx and hang out with friends family etc. comrotary i think i spelled that right lol
At home hunting is mine for me by me. Its my escape from the world.no hunt buddies or partners there is always a bad end to it The idiotic fast paced crowds who just wanna out do one another with everything and anything
I really dont care if i kill a stud because i know how hard i work and plan my hunts so i have the confidence in my setups now that eventually a stud will walk out and present me with a shot. The shot is all different that is up to me
But im not against outfitters or guided hunts.im not paying 10 k to shoot a 130 class buck when i know we have them running around in the state i hunt on Public land Some people just really have no time to scout prep setups or even hunt that much.they have double shifts 2 jobs single parents. Ill tell you i know quite a few guys that deer hunting has ended their marriage. Now they pay couple thousand bucks a month in alimony and child support its awful Alot of us need to realize we are lucky to have all the time we do to hunt scout etc. everyday we want to. I also have an angel for a wife who is supportive of my passion for hunting deer
also everyone in the last 20 years or so has been engrained in their minds that they need everything asap so i think its in alot of our youths minds that we need everything right now. And i hate to say it 20 years as a co Our youth is getting worse. Relying on technology and others to do the work rather than themselves doing anything for themselves.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:01 am

Using a outfitter isnt my thing.
That being said, I hunt public and private and am always looking for a new good private spot.
It’s not about the kill, as much as the journey to get to the kill.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:10 am

Swampbuck wrote:I hunt some of the nastiest swamp there is. Even hunting OSS public and killing a stud would never mean to me what killing a stud in that swamp would.... That being said I could see the enjoyment in going on an outfitted hunt to somewhere far. It would be more like a fun enjoyable hunting vacation vs a bunch of hard work. Wouldnt mean as much to me and i wouldnt be looking at it like a real trophy but would be a fun experience. Probably wouldn't do it cause of the money but with unlimited resources might be a different story lol

Ahh...So you're looking for a trophy "experience", not necessarily a trophy buck? ;) 8-)

I like that! "I'm hunting for a trophy experience"!

IMO...That's really what it's all about!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:26 am

I wish I was so filthy rich that I could hire Dr. deer to plant the food plots and set out the trail cameras and hang the stands and manage my 100000 acre private estate.
That would free up my time to focus on the real important things in life like my smoking hot, plastic, trophy wife. I could eat my caviar while sipping on my 100 year old bottle of chateau lafite. I could roll up $100 bills and use them as matches to light my Gurkha Black Dragon cigars. I could then buzz my 21 year old Swedish personal assistant and have her set up an appointment to see my Porsche dealer. I've always wanted a candy apple red 910 Spyder.
I would insist on walking the last 100 Yards to my stand and carry my own weapon because after all I promote myself as being a DIY guy. My camera guys would catch all the right angles and lighting to make me look larger than life while strategically avoiding the high fences. I would pass on that slightly quartering 25 yd shot at that 185" drop tine because a true sportsman wouldn't take that shot. In the end after "hunting hard" all season I would smoke a monster 194" genetically altered buck that I hand fed the last 6 years. During the photo session I will appear humble while I pimp every product that anyone would pay me to shamelessly promote.
I would hit the hot tub with my wife and personal assistant and sip Cognac to unwind after a tough day in the field while someone else processes my deer.
Later on in my trophy room / man cave, me and my buddies would joke about how all the poor people stroke their egos bragging how they are die hard DIY guys and by claiming I'm not a "real" hunter.

This is honestly the best thing I will read all day! It makes me think of so many types of hunters out there. The ones who go on a canned hunt that is setup for them, they bag a monster, then they take pictures of them kneeling down next to the deer thanking God acting so humble and sincere, but they're wearing all the logo wear of their sponsors and the their is a logo on the photo, and sometimes a verse of scripture. Yes, let's thank God that a paid outfitter set you up and helped you get on a giant deer, then you took it down with a rifle in a food plot. Then act so humble about it, because that's genuine.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with going to an outfitter. Perhaps someday I will try it out. But it's one thing to go on a hunt that's setup for you, and another to shoot a monster and promote it to gain sponsors, followers, and customers while also giving tribute to success from X and Y products or you wouldn't be successful.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:

This is honestly the best thing I will read all day! It makes me think of so many types of hunters out there. The ones who go on a canned hunt that is setup for them, they bag a monster, then they take pictures of them kneeling down next to the deer thanking God acting so humble and sincere, but they're wearing all the logo wear of their sponsors and then there is a logo on the photo, and sometimes a verse of scripture. Yes, let's thank God that a paid outfitter set you up and helped you get on a giant deer, that you took it down with a rifle in a food plot. Then act so humble about it, because that's genuine.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with going to an outfitter. Perhaps someday I will try it out. But it's one thing to go on a hunt that's setup for you, and another to shoot a monster and promote it to gain sponsors, followers, and customers while also giving tribute to success from X and Y products or you wouldn't be successful.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:36 am

I am just trying to get through life the way I want to. I am not going to judge how others make the journey. That doesn't mean I don't have more respect for guys that have earned what they have, rather than been given it. If you have been given it, don't be all pompous and tell us how much smarter you are than those of us who have earned what we have.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:49 am

This is honestly the best thing I will read all day! It makes me think of so many types of hunters out there. The ones who go on a canned hunt that is setup for them, they bag a monster, then they take pictures of them kneeling down next to the deer thanking God acting so humble and sincere, but they're wearing all the logo wear of their sponsors and then there is a logo on the photo, and sometimes a verse of scripture. Yes, let's thank God that a paid outfitter set you up and helped you get on a giant deer, that you took it down with a rifle in a food plot. Then act so humble about it, because that's genuine.

The people out there that know me understand that I write with a sense of humor sprinkled with a dash of sarcasm. Mixed somewhere in there is probably a life lesson and even a bit of truth. I agree with Stanley that we should not judge. Do what you do and enjoy the journey. To make the world perfect all we need to do is perfect ourselves!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:42 am

To each there own... But, if you think "YOU" (Reffering to anyone reading this, not one specific person) do not "buy" your deer, your wrong. Every single person has advantages and disadvatages, and money is a big part of it, wether you hunt public, private, or with an outfitter. How much time you spend working, how much gasoline you can afford, whether or not you have quality (expensive equipment) gear, etc... Yes, some spend a fortune to hunt deer in a cage, but there are also kids out there using a hand me down bow hunting on 5 acres.

Simply put its not apples to apples, and people should just worry about themselves. Any body who picks up a weapon and legally pursues deer is a friend of mine. I don't care if he hunts in a pen, or the national forest, or if he uses a bow, crossbow, or AR-15...
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:18 am

Some of us are more honest about giving our opinion. It's just our opinion. It doesn't mean our way is the best way, or your way sucks. It's just how we feel about something. This thread sort of asked us how we felt about someone paying for their hunt. If you didn't want to give your opinion about it you shouldn't have posted. You don't need to make excuses for your opinion or add...live and let live.

Just be honest and give your opinion. Period!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”