Saddle hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bwwma

Saddle hunters

Unread postby bwwma » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:51 am

Saddle hunting seems to have picked up more steam the past few years. Why is saddle hunting becoming more popular? What are the benefits over my lw assualt/sticks mobile setup? Lastly, do any of the saddle hunters have lw stands they're wanting to sell?

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Saddle hunters

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:56 am

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:57 am

I have two lw stands i wanna sell but keeping third.
The saddles are really confortable in better on the back at least it is on mine
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:03 am

This is definitely a topic that I'd like to learn more about. I'm still not sure I could pull off shooting from a tree while I'm hanging.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:04 am

I'm a die hard stand and sticks guy but the more I read into saddles the more I'm wanting to make the leap.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:08 am

bwwma wrote:Saddle hunting seems to have picked up more steam the past few years. Why is saddle hunting becoming more popular? What are the benefits over my lw assualt/sticks mobile setup? Lastly, do any of the saddle hunters have lw stands they're wanting to sell?

I choose saddle hunting because of the terrain I hunt I like the minimalist approach and light weight of it I can carry all my gear inside a pack allowing me to slip into my spots threw thick cover undetected plus its very safe when done right not saying a stand and sticks are dangerous. I think saddle hunting is more popular now because of social media back in day it was just word of mouth for most part. sorry no stands I was in same boat and bought the saddle. before that I just used pre sets and a climber.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:20 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:This is definitely a topic that I'd like to learn more about. I'm still not sure I could pull off shooting from a tree while I'm hanging.
its very easy to shoot in some ways you are using less muscle and balance in a saddle allowing you to focus. you are not thinking about falling out of tree while you move for shot allowing you to focus on task at hand. shooting to your weak side can be tricky and difficult in heavy layers. their is a learning curve for the whole system. but at least you have the whole summer to practice and as popular as its getting I'm sure you could resell it easy. their defiantly is some fiddle factor to figure out your system and a lot DIY to it I'm an inventor by nature so I love it.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:40 am

I actually ordered a saddle today. Going to give it an honest shot and see how I like it.

What appealed to me most is for quick evening hunts where I can just use my top stick as a platform. I have looked at the seat platform options but at that point with needing a backpack, might as well pack a treestand.

I am skeptical about sits longer than a few hours and cold weather layering, but we shall see. Going to hold onto my stands for now and don't see myself going 100% gung ho on the saddle hunting, but time will tell.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:18 am

They are not for everyone. I strongly recommend testing one out before buying if possible....but that's hard to do often. People seem to love them or hate them. From what I have seen, the worse shape you are the less comfortable you are. You need a fairly strong core to be comfortable in one - but if you are in good shape I think they are extremely comfortable. I personally prefer an all day sit in the saddle over in a small stand.

I personally like my tree saddle because it is lighter and quieter to set up than a stand, wearing it walking in is effort free (still have to carry in a bundle of sticks though), I can set up in any tree, and it also eliminates another item (safety harness) because it is its own safety harness.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:34 am

ImageImageImage This is my run and gun setup I'm a welder so I made my own all aluminum sticks I use for of them with one aider they are 6 lbs with straps. then I use a aero hunter kestrel I keep my ropes in a kifaru bag. I carry four bullman steps on a ratchet in a kifaru bag attached to my mole web on saddle. when I approach my stand I drop my bag about 200 yards away and put on my saddle and attach my ropes. once I get to my tree I pull out my sticks I put first 2 on from ground then climb on second stick and attach the third. then I climb down hook my last stick to saddle and attach my bow leash that's on my saddle to my pack. then I attach my other leash that's on my pack to my bow. I climb back up put on my last stick then climb on top. then I install my step platform and climb on top of them. then I tie in add a hook on right hand side pull up my pack hang it. then I put my other bow hook pull up bow and hang it then I'm done.
when I climb down I either reverse the process or just throw everything on the ground except my bow lol I can be up and set in 10 mins quietly that way and down in 2 mins. its not really faster than hanging a stand just lighter to carry up a mountain. my pack is rated to carry weight and its made of wool so I don't have to worry about dragging it threw brush as much. just lets me get away with a little more.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:24 am

JoeRE wrote:They are not for everyone. I strongly recommend testing one out before buying if possible....but that's hard to do often. People seem to love them or hate them. From what I have seen, the worse shape you are the less comfortable you are. You need a fairly strong core to be comfortable in one - but if you are in good shape I think they are extremely comfortable. I personally prefer an all day sit in the saddle over in a small stand.

I personally like my tree saddle because it is lighter and quieter to set up than a stand, wearing it walking in is effort free (still have to carry in a bundle of sticks though), I can set up in any tree, and it also eliminates another item (safety harness) because it is its own safety harness.

X2
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
pfrizelleSC

Unread postby pfrizelleSC » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:31 am

I just switched this past season to a saddle from a climber, and there has been a learning curve for sure. It is definitely very comfortable. I would agree with Joe about a good core leads to being more comfortable. On the whole I am glad I made the switch. I just need to continue to learn with it. Shooting from it is very nice IMO
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:12 am

elk yinzer wrote:I actually ordered a saddle today. Going to give it an honest shot and see how I like it.

What appealed to me most is for quick evening hunts where I can just use my top stick as a platform. I have looked at the seat platform options but at that point with needing a backpack, might as well pack a treestand.

I am skeptical about sits longer than a few hours and cold weather layering, but we shall see. Going to hold onto my stands for now and don't see myself going 100% gung ho on the saddle hunting, but time will tell.

These are my concerns too. Saddle, sticks, platform then setting it all up just seems like a pain. I do like the lighter weight but I’d still be at 13-14 pounds with sticks and platform. At that point I might as well just use a hand climber.

The cold is another factor. I will likely go to an IWOM for next year and not sure how that will work with a saddle.

I’ve been just hunting on the ground mostly but there are a few places where I need a stand
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:33 am

checkerfred wrote:
elk yinzer wrote:I actually ordered a saddle today. Going to give it an honest shot and see how I like it.

These are my concerns too. Saddle, sticks, platform then setting it all up just seems like a pain. I do like the lighter weight but I’d still be at 13-14 pounds with sticks and platform. At that point I might as well just use a hand climber.

The cold is another factor. I will likely go to an IWOM for next year and not sure how that will work with a saddle.

I’ve been just hunting on the ground mostly but there are a few places where I need a stand
the setup is the same as a tree stand no extra steps. sticks platform saddle or sticks treestand safety belt
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:36 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

the setup is the same as a tree stand no extra steps. sticks platform saddle or sticks treestand safety belt
just don't cover your ropes in poison ivy ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”