Is Total Scent Elimination Fair Chase?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SmallJawNH

Is Total Scent Elimination Fair Chase?

Unread postby SmallJawNH » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:26 am

When drones started getting popular alot of states got out ahead of a potential issue by passing legislation forbidding thier use to hunt. Assuming a product was invented that truly eliminated your scent do you consider the use of that product while hunting to be fair chase?

There have been a lot of topics involving ScentLok and Ozonics. As the industry continues engineering ways to mask or eliminate human odor at what point does it become a moral or ethical issue to use it?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Is Total Scent Elimination Fair Chase?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:46 am

Think the drones got the boot in many states cause the manufactures did not care nothing about them being used for hunting. So they didn't throw enough money around to get them included.

As far as complete scent consealment, many hunters do it now. You see them all the time sit in those air tight shooting houses with the windows up and only quickly lower them to take a shot.

Don't know if a product will ever come around that truly eliminates scent. I certainly hope not from my opinion of fare chase. But as long as there is a market looking for a easier way companies are gonna try there best.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 am

After reading through the whole scent control debate thread, I have really come to a "whatever" type attitude. Some pay big $ to not be smelled, others don't spend a dime...both can be successful. Some pay big $ to not be seen, some pay nothing for camo...both can be successful.

If one feels the need to work hard to earn money to spend on gadgets, devices and clothing to make their hunting experience all they want it to be,
Or if one spends not 1 dollar on "the gear", whatever.
I am not about to start spending money on scent control, too many other things I would prefer spending my money on.
It's all "fair chase" though, or else no piece of equipment is. Everything we use is meant to try and give us an advantage over the deer.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:38 am

Is it fair chase if you are standing still?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:35 am

I do not think it will ever be possible to eliminate human scent. Sure the silver or carbon liners may help mask your scent to a small degree they do not eliminate it and i highly doubt they ever will.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:37 am

I don't believe "scent control" is even effective and is nothing more than an industry gimmick to take people's money, so no, I don't think it even comes into play as far as fair chase goes.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 pm

I think ozonics is on the right track but will never be 100%
Nothing is ever 100%. We will never beat a deers nose 100% not even the all mighty johnny eberhart. I gaurantee he even gets busted before he even knows the deer ate there.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:32 pm

I f I keep eating Ma Besnsh's herring and drinking Busch Lite I don't think even Jesus himself could eliminate my human scent :mrgreen:
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Hatchetman wrote:I f I keep eating Ma Besnsh's herring and drinking Busch Lite I don't think even Jesus himself could eliminate my human scent :mrgreen:

Pfffffft. Look out. Lol.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

I don’t really believe that scent elimination works, but what I have really been struggling with is if Cell Cams are fair chase? Does not seem fair to me that people can actually know that a deer is in a bedding area before even stepping foot in the woods. I’m not saying it isn’t, I keep wanting to get one but I just can’t pull the trigger on it cause it just seems like too much of an advantage. I’d honestly like to hear what people think about it, not saying anything against anyone, just what’s going on in my head.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:50 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:I don’t really believe that scent elimination works, but what I have really been struggling with is if Cell Cams are fair chase? Does not seem fair to me that people can actually know that a deer is in a bedding area before even stepping foot in the woods. I’m not saying it isn’t, I keep wanting to get one but I just can’t pull the trigger on it cause it just seems like too much of an advantage. I’d honestly like to hear what people think about it, not saying anything against anyone, just what’s going on in my head.

I kind of agree with your thought. Too much technology sort of takes some of the fun out of it. It's the hunt which makes it worth it, not necessarily the kill.
SmallJawNH

Unread postby SmallJawNH » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:I don’t really believe that scent elimination works, but what I have really been struggling with is if Cell Cams are fair chase? Does not seem fair to me that people can actually know that a deer is in a bedding area before even stepping foot in the woods. I’m not saying it isn’t, I keep wanting to get one but I just can’t pull the trigger on it cause it just seems like too much of an advantage. I’d honestly like to hear what people think about it, not saying anything against anyone, just what’s going on in my head.

I kind of agree with your thought. Too much technology sort of takes some of the fun out of it. It's the hunt which makes it worth it, not necessarily the kill.

I think some states made the use of cell cameras to aid in hunting unlawful. Some say getting a photo of an animal is a long way from killing it and others say it's too much of an advantage. I can see both sides of the argument.
ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Unread postby ontario farmer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:11 am

The consensus on this site is scent reduction does not work. So of course it is fair. And certainly legal.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:22 am

Personally I'd need to see some facts that prove the hypothetical 100% scent reduction product works. And if it did, I'm sure it'd be pretty expensive. At that point I'd pass. For example, Ozonics. I'm not spending 400 or more on a gadget for scent reduction.

I'm not one to purchase every scent reduction product available but I do purchase some things. I do use and purchase items to keep my clothes clean, I put my clothes in a tub to keep them away from other foreign scents. I do take showers with scent products. Essentially I do the same things I normally do but use something that doesn't have an obvious scent like everyday hygienic products.
Blue Ridge

Unread postby Blue Ridge » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:50 am

I think conversations / debates like this need defined terms. Fair Chase needs to be defined. But I guess that's the essence of the debate right - to define what is fair.
It seems to me that in the end it will be the individual hunter who has to determine for himself what he deems as fair - or what his preference is for hunting the animal.

Man has dominion and power over the beasts of the earth and has the ability to reason and apply his knowledge, understanding, technology etc in pursuit of game. As these factors increase so will his advantage over the beast. Simple example to consider is the weapon used. Is it fair that one hunts with a bow and the other with a rifle, which extends the effective range almost 10 fold? Why do some prefer a bow over a rifle? - b/c they enjoy the challenge and controlling the limiting factors in which they pursue their animal.

You can bring multiple scenarios into consideration and I believe it will always come back to what the hunter prefers - It has been said from the beginning - Man has been set to rule over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air and every wild creature that roams the Earth.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”