Wisconsin crossbow deer kill exceeds vertical bow harvest

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Wisconsin crossbow deer kill exceeds vertical bow harvest

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:47 am

I use a crossbow only because of a shoulder injury
I just cant hold the bow back anymore. I miss and love it but im xbow now and most likely will not go back
My son he is 11. I told him i want you to shoot a deer with a bow first which he agreed to without pause.
Then i said you can graduate to xbow but i want him to get a taste of the challenges a bow presents while hinting
Xbows are a complete advantage to hunting its like a very short range gun shooting a long bullet.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:56 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:82,660 X-bow Hunters kill 47,086 deer = 57% Success Rate
152,186 Bow Hunters kill 45,034 deer = 30% Success Rate

Regardless of opinions, thats what I take out of that article.
wow NJ had 49246 kills last year but only a 1000 were killed in the zones I hunt which holds about 120000 acers of public land all our deer are down in the urban areas

Having just moved from new jersey. To delaware
Imo New Jersey is gonna keep dropping the hunting liscences and xtra fees to hunt zones weapons etc are just crazy. Last year my last NJ hunting season i spent almost 300$ in liscences and permits to hung different zones weapons and buck tags. And extended bow was once again in certain zones cut buy 3 weeks
I just dont think nj is too greedy to have good balance of deer or any kind of mature buck program. The 3 point on one side rule there is an absolute joke
when NJ had great hunting was when they didn't have baiting. any day out I would see between 10 and 20 deer and bucks o the bucks every corner had a buck they did baiting and unlimited does and the harvest numbers were crazy. we also did not have a lot of bears when they showed up the herd dropped drastically its not uncommon where I hunt to see does without fawns in spring they just don't make it.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:52 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:82,660 X-bow Hunters kill 47,086 deer = 57% Success Rate
152,186 Bow Hunters kill 45,034 deer = 30% Success Rate

Regardless of opinions, thats what I take out of that article.
wow NJ had 49246 kills last year but only a 1000 were killed in the zones I hunt which holds about 120000 acers of public land all our deer are down in the urban areas

Having just moved from new jersey. To delaware
Imo New Jersey is gonna keep dropping the hunting liscences and xtra fees to hunt zones weapons etc are just crazy. Last year my last NJ hunting season i spent almost 300$ in liscences and permits to hung different zones weapons and buck tags. And extended bow was once again in certain zones cut buy 3 weeks
I just dont think nj is too greedy to have good balance of deer or any kind of mature buck program. The 3 point on one side rule there is an absolute joke
when NJ had great hunting was when they didn't have baiting. any day out I would see between 10 and 20 deer and bucks o the bucks every corner had a buck they did baiting and unlimited does and the harvest numbers were crazy. we also did not have a lot of bears when they showed up the herd dropped drastically its not uncommon where I hunt to see does without fawns in spring they just don't make it.

Now when i lived in jersey
well i grew up in cape may new jersey born and raised there i hunted alot of bellplain state forest and bevins land tract out in Millville. Mike trout country i know him he a nice kid hits a golf ball a long long way. Lol
Anyway. Killed 3 of my 4 bucks on my wall in the millville airport area silver run road lol. They were good times me and my boy freddy
Hunted some in tuckahow and steelmantown and eldora my pop and memom lived in eldora long gone now
I was a heavy baiter. Not alot of bait but its all i did was dump bait duffle bag and a few sweet taters or sugar beets hang a stand and sit it id have 2 or thre of these spots all year so they were completely over hunted
Its how i was taught. Thats all behind me now. But when i did bait seen and killed alot of deer always had at least a little one come to the pile. Every time i sat
But ive never had ever had a mature 3-1/2 year old buck or older ever come into the bait and eat they were there during the rut they would come by the pile and check it for does about 100 yards out os so downwind of it. . Dnt get me wrong i remember when it was illegal to bait in jersey. But everone did anyway you took that chance cause the mentality is at least in southern jersey. If i dont kill that spike the guy 150 yards over here will so im gonna let it fly.
It was horrible. Imo legalization of bait in jersey was the worse thing the hunters could have let happen at least in my parts
They were actually talking about implementing a baiting permit for the year another 28$. Lol. Well add that up you being in jersey know its off the hook with liscences now. One of my first posts here on the beast tells my story why i checked dans stuff out and how discouraged and frustrated i was in my deer career
But like i said thats all in the past. 69$ here all year statewide 4 different weapons
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:03 am

I hear ya i hunt 4 different zones it really starts to add up fast I'm stuck hear with a family owned business i might be taking a trip every year to hunt some hill country in ohio i just need to get over their and scout a little
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:07 am

ghoasthunter wrote:I hear ya i hunt 4 different zones it really starts to add up fast I'm stuck hear with a family owned business i might be taking a trip every year to hunt some hill country in ohio i just need to get over their and scout a little

4 zones wow bro. I feel for ya. Thats a small payment plan. Lol
Good luck my brotha
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Crossbows have been the norm here in Ohio for years. Defiantly easier to shoot and longer range with the right model choice.

I am not a huge fan but with shoulder trouble of my own I would tote an Xbox before missing a hunting season.

Still it’s hard to criticize an Xbox hunter unless you are toting a recurve or long bow and shooting with all trad gear. I use a compound with carbon arrows and a range finder. :think:
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Bow hunting is supposed to be hard. That’s why we have a rifle season. I think as long as we keep trying to make bow hunting easier, our bow season will continue to look and feel more and more like rifle season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”