Wisconsin crossbow deer kill exceeds vertical bow harvest

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Wisconsin crossbow deer kill exceeds vertical bow harvest

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:44 am

Crossbows are also louder than compounds.... speed of sound is 1125ft/sec. We all know the reaction time of an alert Whitetail. Effective range is 40 yards or less even with a 400ft/sec Xbow.

Someone asked about overall hunter #s in WI. They again dropped like 10000 even with the addition of all the youth and mentored hunters.

I have used both... in my opinion vertical bow is more challenging

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:51 am

tibolli wrote:
Dewey wrote:
tibolli wrote:I'm disappointed to read this news.

For first time, Wisconsin crossbow deer kill exceeds vertical bow harvest

Crossbow kill passed up the vertical bow kill back on Nov. 4th already. I'll be honest.......I really hate to see this. Feels like our archery season will never be the same again. I worry about the future of the WI archery season and can't help but think the season will eventually be shortened as more and more hunt with crossbow and drastically increase the deer kill to a point that's just not sustainable with the current framework. Pretty soon we might just have one short "Deer Season" with any weapon allowed. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

I agree! A vertical bow must be drawn in the presence of game which can and does make a big difference. A crossbow is already locked, loaded and ready to go. It seems only crossbow hunters say, "I don't see the difference between a compound and a crossbow." There is a big difference, especially in the skill required to use a vertical bow.

My dream is WI adopting these rules.......

Archery Season:
Recurve or Long Bow only

Gun Season:
Shotgun only statewide

Muzzleloader Season:
Primitive weapons only-no inlines or scopes allowed.

A guy can dream can’t he? :lol:

I was born 50 years too late. Wish I was around in the early years of WI archery during the simpler times when just seeing a deer was a huge accomplishment. Killing one with a bow was a lifetime achievement. These days everyone is only interested in doing things the easy way.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 am

82,660 X-bow Hunters kill 47,086 deer = 57% Success Rate
152,186 Bow Hunters kill 45,034 deer = 30% Success Rate

Regardless of opinions, thats what I take out of that article.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:10 am

hunter_mike wrote:82,660 X-bow Hunters kill 47,086 deer = 57% Success Rate
152,186 Bow Hunters kill 45,034 deer = 30% Success Rate

Regardless of opinions, thats what I take out of that article.
wow NJ had 49246 kills last year but only a 1000 were killed in the zones I hunt which holds about 120000 acers of public land all our deer are down in the urban areas
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 am

The only thing I dislike with crossbows is...They let them use a scope.
When they first started coming out they used some type of pin sight like a verticle bow. If they stayed with that I'd say have at it.
I've seen these new crossbows their stupid easy.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:55 am

Dewey wrote:

Crossbow kill passed up the vertical bow kill back on Nov. 4th already. I'll be honest.......I really hate to see this. Feels like our archery season will never be the same again. I worry about the future of the WI archery season and can't help but think the season will eventually be shortened as more and more hunt with crossbow and drastically increase the deer kill to a point that's just not sustainable with the current framework. Pretty soon we might just have one short "Deer Season" with any weapon allowed. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

I agree with you that our archery season will never be the same. I doubt though that they will ever extend the 9 day rifle season. They may open up other seasons with a rifle like they have done (which in my opinion is asinine). I wish they would change the non-resident licenses to a point system or at least increase the amount. I mean an over the counter deer tag is what, like 170 dollars if that? That's nothing for an Illinois out a stater. Another thing I wish they would do is separate the compound and crossbow seasons. They won't ever do that though.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:02 am

Well one positive is that if enough deer are killed during the bow season, maybe they will do away with the doe hunts
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:06 am

Jonny wrote:Well one positive is that if enough deer are killed during the bow season, maybe they will do away with the doe hunts

One can only hope! :lol:
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:52 am

Bucky wrote:Crossbows are also louder than compounds.... speed of sound is 1125ft/sec. We all know the reaction time of an alert Whitetail. Effective range is 40 yards or less even with a 400ft/s

I agree a quiet bow is more lethal even compound to longbow. I have way less deer jump the string with longbow and the sound a crossbow defiantly is the cause of a lot of bad shots with them. I wish they would stop chasing speed on bows and recommend that people shoot heavy arrows for hunting to quiet down a bow you shouldn't be able to hear a bow at a 100 yards away. and the BC of a bolt is way less than a arrow at extended ranges I don't care if people us them but make it fair game and ban the scopes on them pins for everybody.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:09 am

Kokes wrote:anyways I think the bigger picture is we have to stand united as hunters, hunter participation is dropping, anti-hunting media is growing, we are in this together....just saw this article on outdoorlife today I found it fitting to put into this thread... we need more youth getting into our sport one way or another... if crossbows are what introduce the future of hunting into the woods then so be it, or am I missing something? just my opinion, not trying to stir up any arguments so pls don't take it the wrong way

"Why We Suck at Recruiting New Hunters, Why It Matters, and How You Can Fix It"
https://www.outdoorlife.com/why-we-are- ... -to-fix-it

I think you are exactly right. I no longer live in WI but I have friends there complaining about Xbows and other laws. I tend to agree with them and others on here but like it or not things do change and the worst change we can have as hunters is lower hunter numbers. Everybody wants the woods to themselves but if we lose hunters we lose more voices/influence and then the future of hunting becomes really depressing. We do need to stand together and instead of worrying about too many hunters we need to find ways to increase the available land to hunt if possible. We also need to make sure public lands stay public and are not sold off to pay for greedy politicians mistakes because ultimately it is the hunters that lose in this scenario. In the last NDA email they showed where anti hunters were outside petitioning with lights spelling out save the deer to prevent hunters from managing inter-city deer herds. I have seen where people in cities where they want to stop hunters from controlling urban deer populations at all cost and then likely unknown to them the city will hire sharp shooters at an insane rate to kill the deer hunters would have paid to hunt. Its scary how some antis think and how far they will go.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:21 am

tibolli wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I agree! A vertical bow must be drawn in the presence of game which can and does make a big difference. A crossbow is already locked, loaded and ready to go. It seems only crossbow hunters say, "I don't see the difference between a compound and a crossbow." There is a big difference, especially in the skill required to use a vertical bow.

This 1000%. Bow hunting is SUPPOSED to be hard. The movement made to range, draw and hold near the presence of an animal is part of what makes success rates tough. These deer don't owe you or me a thing. Nothing. It's also why archery seasons are so long. A crossbow, despite the name, is not a bow. Yes they've been around thousands of years as a "primitive" weapon. That's not the point. The point is the efficacy as a killing tool in a season where killing is supposed to be very difficult. Besides having limbs and shooting a short arrow, a crossbow has more in common with a gun than a real bow.

Trail cams, drones, crossbows, ridiculous ozone machines, automatically ranging bow mounted range finders, where the does it stop?

The irony is the same people poo-pooing their state's DNR for "mis-managing deer herds" are the same people who are ok with weapons and gadgets in archery seasons where more deer will be harvested.

This keeps up, our beloved archery seasons will be shortened and over the counter deer tags will go to a lottery.

Emrah
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:22 am

It's all part of the times we're in. Bet ya alot of those xbow kills are coming from shooting houses over food plots. That they can drive a vehicle or 4 wheeler within 100 or less yards.

I can't shoot the weight minimum of 30 lbs. for a vertical bow, but would gladly go to the doc and do all the paperwork for the required disability permit.

States say it's done for hunter recruitment but the numbers aren't increasing. If they're trying to target kids. Put a maximum age on xbow use.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:23 am

stash59 wrote:It's all part of the times we're in. Bet ya alot of those xbow kills are coming from shooting houses over food plots. That they can drive a vehicle or 4 wheeler within 100 or less yards.

I can't shoot the weight minimum of 30 lbs. for a vertical bow, but would gladly go to the doc and do all the paperwork for the required disability permit.

States say it's done for hunter recruitment but the numbers aren't increasing. If they're trying to target kids. Put a maximum age on xbow use.

I like it! that's a great idea!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:07 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
stash59 wrote:It's all part of the times we're in. Bet ya alot of those xbow kills are coming from shooting houses over food plots. That they can drive a vehicle or 4 wheeler within 100 or less yards.

I like it! that's a great idea!

Crossbows for kids & people with disabilities...That's my vote!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:41 pm

I don't like it when I here people complaining about how others kill a deer. It's their right, and they shall have the freedom to do as they want.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”