Wisconsin crossbow deer kill exceeds vertical bow harvest

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tibolli

Wisconsin crossbow deer kill exceeds vertical bow harvest

Unread postby tibolli » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:07 am

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Wisconsin crossbow deer kill exceeds vertical bow harvest

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:12 am

tibolli wrote:I'm disappointed to read this news.

For first time, Wisconsin crossbow deer kill exceeds vertical bow harvest

Why. Are you disappointed? Are you against crossbows?
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:40 am

I also saw this and I'm not surprised. Ultimately if a weapon is legal I think most people will opt for the weapon they feel makes them the most effective which for many people is a crossbow. I think not enough hunters practice for enough time to really become proficient with a vertical bow hence the switch to a crossbow. In my opinion the rise of crossbows and other weapons believed to be superior over the current standard weapon used for a given season is the result of declining hunter numbers. I think legislators allow these other weapons thinking it will help with recruitment but I don't think it's working. I think hunters need to introduce more people to the sport who otherwise wouldn't get any exposure to the sport. Also we need to preserve and if possible increase access to hunting land. Finally we need to figure out how to counteract kids playing video games instead of enjoying the outdoors or finding ways busy kids/parents involved in a plethora of activities (clubs, sports, etc) can find time to hunt.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:10 am

Wonder what hunter numbers are like? If they are way up due to crossbows I could see that as am issue. But if they are similar, bow guys are just switching to dart guns than I don't see it as an issue.
Make It Happen
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:19 am

Not a surprising stat at all. As people get older or have physical limitations, crossbows will be the only option. Also young children have an easier time hunting with them, because they don't have the strength to pull back a bow. You will always have the the hunters who don't want to put in the time to practice with a bow and see the crossbow as an easy alternative. As long as crossbows help people no wound animals I'm ok with the change. I love shooting my bow, and unless I become physically unable to be accurate with it, I will keep using it.

It reminds me a little of the change to allow rifles statewide in WI. You think people in those old shotgun counties, are still using shotguns? No way! Why not use a weapon, that allows you to shoot farther & more accurately.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:24 am

I wonder if Daryl from the Walking Dead made crossbow sales go up. :lol:
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:36 am

A bow is a bow in my opinion. After hunting extensively with both a xbow and compound they are not much different, and both have advantages and weaknesses, as does any weapon. I prefer a xbow on the ground and a compound in a tree. They both have their place. I don't see any reason to be disappointed with the news.

As long as people are getting outdoors and hunting with any legal weapon, that is good news. Change is a good thing IMO, we can either change with it, or adapt, or ignore it. But changes keep things interesting...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:38 am

tgreeno wrote:It reminds me a little of the change to allow rifles statewide in WI. You think people in those old shotgun counties, are still using shotguns? No way! Why not use a weapon, that allows you to shoot farther & more accurately.

I have heard some of these same people also saying they wished it would have never changed as they feel the quality of bucks in those previously shotgun only areas has suffered. I don't know if it's true or not but that is what I heard but you are right in that they are not still sitting there with their old shotguns. I think it becomes an internal battle of do you want to give up what many perceive is a superior weapon (in that case a rifle over a shotgun) just to boycott the change or jump on board so you don't feel you are limiting your success. That's a decision everyone has to make on their own in these situations.
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:15 am

In my home state (not wis) when they allowed crossbows to be used by everyone during archery season I saw a noticable increase in the amount of hunters on public land. This is very obvious in areas you have to sign in typically an area having 70-100 guys signed in to sat to hunt it is now 120-140 at LEAST. Prior to the state allowing them to all they were still legal you just had to have a DR's note stating you had physical difficulites with using a verticle bow which was as simple as going to the DR and asking for it really I knew several who had it none of which needed it just would rather use xbow. So from my observations Xbows do put more hunters in the field.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:35 am

we get the same hear on the east I don't even see guys with compounds hunting its the same thing everyplace buy me ladder stand randomly placed 200 yards off road blasé orange ribbon on every tree on trail in and the biggest pile of corn on ground you ever seen. then every swamp and thicket nearby is full of dead wounded deer. then we have the deep woods wonderers that come in late and leave early all they do is walk around and ask each other see any. then you have the deep woods baiters god only knows how they get their corn in that far. and then we have the every swamp next to road bear hunters with moldy bait. o and the crossbow yo buck deer drivers every weekend lol. :dance:
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:05 am

Crossbow kill passed up the vertical bow kill back on Nov. 4th already. I'll be honest.......I really hate to see this. Feels like our archery season will never be the same again. I worry about the future of the WI archery season and can't help but think the season will eventually be shortened as more and more hunt with crossbow and drastically increase the deer kill to a point that's just not sustainable with the current framework. Pretty soon we might just have one short "Deer Season" with any weapon allowed. Nothing would surprise me anymore.
vovamir

Unread postby vovamir » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:11 am

In Manitoba crossbows are not allowed during archery season which runs first week of Sept to the end of Oct. They are only allowed during the two week muzzleloader season prior to rifle season.

Personally I hope that doesn't change..
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:16 am

what are your deer numbers out their how many deer would you see if say you hunted a weak straight I only ever hunted NJ NY PA I think I average about 12 deer a weak out of that 2 will be 1.5 year old bucks 4 will be adult does and rest are 50/50 of button bucks and doe fawns I'm just trying to get a feel for your hunting out their
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:37 am

I don't really see the big issue with using a crossbow vs compound...sure you have better accuracy but so what, its still up to the hunter to get within bow range of the animal...also for what some may perceive as a few extra yards of range advantage on a crossbow (Id say theyre lethal out to 45 yards or so on a live animal) you also lose the option of a quick follow up shot incase of a miss which is much easier with a compound..so pros and cons there... anyways I think the bigger picture is we have to stand united as hunters, hunter participation is dropping, anti-hunting media is growing, we are in this together....just saw this article on outdoorlife today I found it fitting to put into this thread... we need more youth getting into our sport one way or another... if crossbows are what introduce the future of hunting into the woods then so be it, or am I missing something? just my opinion, not trying to stir up any arguments so pls don't take it the wrong way

"Why We Suck at Recruiting New Hunters, Why It Matters, and How You Can Fix It"
https://www.outdoorlife.com/why-we-are- ... -to-fix-it
tibolli

Unread postby tibolli » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:44 am

Dewey wrote:

Crossbow kill passed up the vertical bow kill back on Nov. 4th already. I'll be honest.......I really hate to see this. Feels like our archery season will never be the same again. I worry about the future of the WI archery season and can't help but think the season will eventually be shortened as more and more hunt with crossbow and drastically increase the deer kill to a point that's just not sustainable with the current framework. Pretty soon we might just have one short "Deer Season" with any weapon allowed. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

I agree! A vertical bow must be drawn in the presence of game which can and does make a big difference. A crossbow is already locked, loaded and ready to go. It seems only crossbow hunters say, "I don't see the difference between a compound and a crossbow." There is a big difference, especially in the skill required to use a vertical bow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”