Gaining permission to hunt private

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Gaining permission to hunt private

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:31 am

I offer services or all the deer meat they can eat or a small fee maybe. Try to see their interests and go with somthing that will benefit them letting you hunt there

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:39 am

Lopedog699 wrote:I offer services or all the deer meat they can eat or a small fee maybe. Try to see their interests and go with somthing that will benefit them letting you hunt there

Maybe offer some venison, definitely not all the venison they can eat, I’m not giving away everything that’s for sure. Also, from your original post, I wouldn’t just throw a dart at a map, look at maps and find land that has the features you want and then move from there. No point hunting if the land is garbage, and there’s plenty of private that’s just that. Once you gain permission, keep it...continue to show you’re gratitude
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:45 am

Pretty tough sledding in my area to get permission. I decided close to a decade ago, that I just got no enjoyment out of putting that kind of energy into chasing leads and knocking on doors, so Iavoid it. Generally have a decent lead pop up organically every couple of years, without much hounding, which I'll graciously take if it presents itself. To me the whole deal is supposed to be fun, and preparing form letters and knocking on strangers doors isn't fun to me. More power to those who enjoy that part of the grind.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:23 am

The problem I see is, how good is the land you're busting your but to hunt? How many times have you cyber scouted a piece, that's ends up being nothing like you'd hoped. Now I'm stuck doing chores, for a piece of land that isn't that great.

To each their own. But I'm going to just focus on the huge amount of public land that is in my area. I've got many years before I run out of new ground to scout.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:04 am

I just moved and am surrounded by great looking woodlots and farmland.

I agree...the days of knocking on doors is kinda over. Still might work..but slim chances around here...if it does work, it's probably basically public ground.

Here, leasing is big. Everyone leases ground.

Like was said, I am going to put my time and efforts into public. I may ask a few that are close to the house and enrolled in our public Access program. They don't have to grant permission..but many do. Would be nice to have a few options right down the road. I have good public 15-20mins away. I have lots of public within a half hour. I have tons if I stretch it an hour.

One thing I may do is ask permission to trap, coon hunt and groundhog hunt...most farmers welcome that. Like was said, a foot in the door...after a couple seasons try getting deer and turkey permission.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:19 pm

The day of little 40 acre to 200 acre farms are gone in my area. The farmers of today are trying to squease every dollar from their farming program they can. They are not stupid either so read hunting magizines and know people will pay cash money to hunt their property. Also most farmers today have bundles of money in machines to do just about every thing from cleaning barns to feeding the cattle. Just what farm chore do you think you could do to help the farmer? Bale hay, if they don't do the big round bales and move them with big tractors that cost many thousands of dollars they use kicker on balers that throw the bales on the wagons, they hire people to unload them who are into work for money.

Todays farmer knows people will pay a fee to hunt for Deer 1st and foremost, phesants,geese, ducks if they have a pond and other big game dependant on area.
Why would todays farmer trust you around his thousands of dollars equipment so you could work for the right to hunt what he can get money for? Pick rocks? they have machines that do that too and that machine doesn't miss many or decide that was is small enough to bother with.

But if you hunt varmints which include coyotes that will come in and eat feed right from the feed bunks, Kill lambs and piglets. Ground hogs that dig holes in the fields and eat beans.

Have found after a while of showing the farmer we will keep the varmints under control, treat the land like it was our own and not leave trash,drive in muddy fields, cut fences or break them down by climbing on them, parking out of their way, show respect and earn respect back and open up hunting for other things besides varmints.

Today we have farmers who have butchered some sheep and give us meat, same with pig farmers and beef farmers. Just because we are ridding their farm of what to them are pest and destroy property and take money from crop yields.

Maybe travel many hours to hunt. I have a deer camp in Michigans UP surrounded by thousands of Federal land acres. yet I have only seen 9 other persons in all the years I have hiunted there and one was a neighbour I saaw 3 times.
Is only a 6.5 hour drive for me one way. I also bought land so I could build a cabin to stay in. you never learn how small a 22 foot travel trailer is till you go deer hinting with one other person till you do it then have a rainy day with wet clothes to dry.

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
Brohunt or Die

Unread postby Brohunt or Die » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:47 am

Thanks everyone. Gonna be a tough sell I know that. There are a couple of small parcels of public land close to me that are completely surrounded by private land with no public access (land or water access). Actually there are tons of these parcels here in MN. I inquired with the DNR about WHY they even have that, because if asking permission to cross private land just to gain access to public with no other way in, other than helicopter drop, requires permission, doesn't that make the land simply free private land to hunt for the landowners? The DNR officer said the state picked up what they could when they could, which is fine, but don't mean sierra for a public guy like myself....totally negates the whole point of DNR purchasing land for public use.... so anyways thoguhts on that? it's so dumb.

As far as gaining permission I am going to start by asking landowners for permission to cross their land to gain access to the public, and if it's ok to track a deer in their land if I was able to put a shot on it. It might be a good way to get used to asking for permission and confronting landowners without asking to hunt THEIR land... this is public that requires private access.... it's not fair and I wish there was a direct route from the road which allowed public access to the parcel...no such thing exists.. how can a landowner say NO to someone trying to hunt public? I'm sure it'll happen, not holding my breath.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:41 am

I recently wrote a piece on this very topic. Give it a read, you might relate!

You Can hunt, But Don’t Kill Anything
LINK:
https://community.deergear.com/the-hunt/you-can-hunt-but-dont-kill-anything/
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:59 am

I did not read through the whole thread, but I will say this. I had your mentality around 25-30 years ago, but it never happened for me, yet I encourage you.

I think timing and luck are key. So its a numbers game. The more you ask the more it COULD happen, and you definitely need to be able to deal with rejection.

So here are my tips. Send letters. There is never a good time to stop on a landowner (without luck and timing). I just read an article in American Hunter talking about a resume. I am thinking about doing this after all this time. A letter that introduces you, very short. Ask for a meeting, include a resume. Keep everything brief, be willing to edit as you get feedback. I could do an outline, but this is your thread, so you should do it and we can comment.

By the way I have sent letters and knocked on doors. Got some access both ways, but I like personal letters. You knock that door at the wrong moment you will absolutely ruin your chances. You send a letter it might get thrown away, but you can always send another, and not be as annoying as one knock.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:25 am

I find the number one reason, even over the homeowners already hunt the land and want it for themselves, is bad past experiences. I really believe most land owners want to say yes but other hunters ruined it for the responsible hunters. I can't tell you how many times the land owner said "I let this one guy have access but..."

"they didn't park where I told them to"
"they left their trash all over the place"
"they told their buddies they could hunt there as well"

Its so frustrating to me because this creates issues when trying to access public through private as well.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:11 am

There is a couple sections of MFL land that has a 1 mile legal walking access to get to but There is a long driveway that goes within 1/4 mile. I would like to ask permission to park along the driveway and walk a short fencerow to get to the back of the MFL. Feeling kinda nervous about asking as my people skills aren't the best. Of course, it is a little old lady that owns it so wish me luck.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:06 am

I don’t have the gift of gab
I don’t believe in misrepresentation or gimmicks

I recommend being honest and you.
People tend to respond to that better IMHO

GOOD LUCK!!
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:16 am

Do what I’m doing. Work for the biggest private landowner in the state. After all the owners and higher ups, and politicians pick their properties, there are a couple nice pieces left for the rest of us. And none of them are mobile hunters, let alone beast hunters.

8-)

Otherwise be social, meet lots of people and just your but. Might get a case of beer, free firewood, advice on a piece of public, or access to their 10 acre farm surrounded by one of the biggest commercial (human consumption) farming operations in the state. Nothing like a 150 acre field of sweet corn or carrots. All for just being a nice person. No extra work on my end.

And I’ve gotten all of that from one guy as well
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:16 am

Double post. Darn big thumbs
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”